Taking the kids without your spouse?

deuceswild10

DIS Veteran
My DH will be gone for a few weeks in September. He likes Disney but doesn't love to the way the kids and I do. We have a long weekend when he's gone. I'm thinking of taking them for a quick trip. He said he's okay with it. We just went a few weeks ago but I want to go again! We would keep the trip as inexpensive as possible. WWYD? FYI, my kids are both 8. Never traveled alone with them before.

I would never take my kids to WDW without DW. It just wouldn't feel right. But that's just me, doesn't mean you shouldn't.

YUP YUP GO GO GO ~ No easier place to go with kids, especially the age yours are at!

DH is fine with WDW and always has great fun, but once ever few years is enough for him. My oldest is 34 and I have been taking all three kids without DH since he was 1 years old. We have lots of family pictures of us all there but then lots of 2 of us, 3 of us, 4 of us too!

Last year I went alone with dd, then 13. We had a wonderful time. So special.

This summer I’m taking all three kids alone—14, 8 and 8. Dh is busy with work and anaphylactic to heat, so August is out. I’m looking forward to it. Dh comes with us often and we have a great trip. These mom only trips are different, but really special. I love the time with my kids doing what we love. I’m the bigger Disney freak and we tend to slow down a bit more, browse a bit more. The trips feel a bit different. I’ve had all three kids on my own at WDW for a day or two before. This trip will be five days. Five days is about my limit for being away from Dh.

Vacations are for famlies - i woudln't go without yrou DH

It's great if for your family it works that everyone enjoys everything the same and always gets to go! :goodvibes I think vacations come in lots of different shapes and forms, not just for families. No reason OP shouldn't go if her DH is fine with it.

- What about all the couples that take adults only trips leaving the kids with the grands? I have never done that because I enjoy vacationing with my kids but there are lots and lots who do. I know families who NEVER vacationed with their kids until they were old enough to be very independent.

- DH loves to hunt and fish. He often uses several weeks of his hard earned vacation time to go on fishing and hunting trips. I have zero interest in either, neither do my grown kids so he goes with his brothers. I don't make him stay home because the family doesn't go.

- DD and I have done a few girls only trips like many others do just us two or sometimes with other girls .... all girls weekends or cruises or shopping trips.

- DH has also traveled with kids alone. Each got an international trip of their choice when in college. Just he and the one kid. DH & DS went to do the whole DC trip, rest of us had no interest. I am okay with that as well.

Vacations can be in different shapes or forms. If one has something they enjoy very much with a spouse that doesn't, no reason either should have to give up going just because all don't go. My DH is happy for us to go and scratch our Disney Mouse itches, he understands .... just like I am happy for him to go on his "redneck" trips. We still have plenty of vacation time together as well.

Last edited:

Go! You won't regret it. I take my twins without my husband sometimes. I had the same hesitations that you are having, but it was great. Now the kids and I go for extended stays and my husband meets us in the middle for a few days. Enjoy your long weekend.

I took my twins for their birthday for pretty much exactly the same reason (good deal/spouse couldn't make it and was never a big disney fan so did not feel left out). I still smile every time I think about that trip. As much as I love my DH, there is something about being there with just your kids that makes it an extra special kid/mommy bonding time.

Yep, I would. As someone married to a spouse who travels for work constantly, we can't live our entire lives around his schedule. It's bad enough that he's gone so often. But we're not going to be glued to our house and wait for him for every detail. Otherwise we'd miss lots of holidays, birthdays, and fun trips if we had to schedule everything when he is home. Go for it.

I would do it! It will feel weird at first, not having your husband with you, but then you’ll find a routine for the three of you and will have a blast! Honestly, if your husband is fine with it, I say go for it!

I am married to a workaholic and while I never took the kids to wdw alone, we took many trips without DH. Go fo it!

I don't see it as unusual/weird at all.

As a for instance....if a man in my life said he was planning a trip to Cooperstown to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame, followed by nightly meals at Mickey Mantle's and Shula's and he was taking the kids....I'd say have fun!
He'd already know that I would have lost my ever loving wittle mind if I said I was going:rotfl2:

Conversely, if I said I was planning a trip to Europe, stuffed with museum visits and taking children he'd be overjoyed to stay home and take care of the parrot.
We could both bore each other to tears discussing our memories and impressions when the vacationer returned home;).

I’m taking my two kids this summer. They will be 14 and 10. Dh can’t take the whole week, so he is joining us for the end.

If it were the only vacation we'd take as a family that year, I'd wait until a time we could all go.

But in your scenario I'd absolutely go! You've already taken your big family trip and you've planned this to be a short and inexpensive getaway. As long as you feel safe traveling with your kids and your husband is ok with it go and enjoy!!

Go! You won't regret it. I take my twins without my husband sometimes. I had the same hesitations that you are having, but it was great. Now the kids and I go for extended stays and my husband meets us in the middle for a few days. Enjoy your long weekend.

We have done lots of combinations of this. DH came a few years for Free Dining, we'd use credits at California Grill and two TS a day while he was there but then he'd fly out on Monday or Tuesday leaving us there the rest of the week. Or he goes with us, works out of a condo (WBC) while we go to parks and takes a day off in middle just to relax at pool with DS1 while rest of us go commando. We are going to beach in a few weeks, nice long weekend with DD who will then fly back home, DS1 and I will head to Disney for three days while DH stays at beach and works from there. He is happy to be able to fish, work, walk the beach at night - best of both worlds. We'll head back from Disney, have a day on beach then all drive home.

If it were the only vacation we'd take as a family that year, I'd wait until a time we could all go.

I do think this makes a difference!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter