Taking our first 7-night cruise what to wear on formal night?

another blast from the past (this is MY list). And looking at it, it's amazing how far down DCL has come with regards to dress code for dinners over the past 10 years (or less).

And I appeared to have not even mentioned Jeans back then ... Dress, skinny, normal, low riders (plumber), ripped (stylishly or just old)!

THE Clothes Hierarchy
The Tuxes :snooty: look down upon the suits
The Suits look down upon the sport coats
The Sport Coats look down upon the dress shirts
The Dress Shirts look down upon the polo shirts
The Polo Shirts look down upon the tee shirts
The Tee Shirts look down upon the tank tops
The Tank Tops look down upon the shorts
The Shorts look down upon the swimming suits

and so it goes:)

Last edited:
My wife and I have given up on dressing up on formal night.... I wear a polo shirt and jeans and she wears a nice shirt and pants.... no need for suits or tuxedos. Totally up to you!

My wife and I have given up on dressing up on formal night.... I wear a polo shirt and jeans and she wears a nice shirt and pants.... no need for suits or tuxedos. Totally up to you!

While I have only cruised with Carnival, I agree. The first cruise I took, I packed coat and tie, nice slacks. The second cruise, I took slacks and a nice polo. Most ladies wore a nice pants suit or the classic little black dress. "Formal" doesn't seem to mean what it used to mean, with tux and tails and evening gowns. Just wear something that looks nice, but be comfortable.

Taking our first 7-night cruise and I'm wondering what to wear on formal night. I would love to hear what you have worn.
I wore a cocktail dress and my husband wore a coat and tie BUT there were women in long gowns and men in tuxedos. Some people didn't get dressed up at all so a little of everything.

My dress hardly took up any room in my suitcase and I still was dressed up (its a full length Eliza J dress from Nordstrom) and my husband is wearing a sports jacket over his khakis with a tie.

Attachments

• 12998155_10207214152766496_4071115213170280558_o.jpg
    12998155_10207214152766496_4071115213170280558_o.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 26
My dress hardly took up any room in my suitcase and I still was dressed up (its a full length Eliza J dress from Nordstrom) and my husband is wearing a sports jacket over his khakis with a tie.
That dress is beautiful! I always look at that brand but I haven't actually tried one on yet which is silly since they are so cute and reasonably priced.

That dress is beautiful! I always look at that brand but I haven't actually tried one on yet which is silly since they are so cute and reasonably priced.

Thank you! Just be aware, the brand runs REALLY long! I'm 5'10" and the dress still was long on me--I was wearing 3.5 inch wedges and it still was floor length! My poor feet were so swollen and I could barely get my shoes on, but I had no choice--I would have fallen on my face because of tripping on the dress if I didn't wear the wedges! I need to get the dress hemmed so that I'm not forced into wearing heels the next time around! Other than the length, I have no complaints--it is fully lined and just a beautiful dress. I really loved it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter