Taking kids by myself...help me calm down, lol

bamajill

Mouseketeer
Ok, I'm a pretty calm by nature mom of three:hippie: . I planned (pretty much on the spur of the moment) a trip for myself & my three kids for just after school gets out (late may-early june). I got a good deal, plus dining. Now, I'm freaking out just a little...thinking maybe I bit off more than I can chew??

The $$ is ok. No problem there. But the thoughts of being entirely responsible for three kids (6, 8 and 11) is a little daunting. Trying to keep everyone happy while not getting to do all the things we want to do, in that very moment....see what I mean? My six year old girl will ride pretty much everything...but she can be a handful IF she gets in a mood, grrrrr.

My dh started a new job and can't vacation at all this year (well, I'm really trying to talk him into flying down and joining us for the weekend...but that's another post, lol:thumbsup2 )....

Has anyone taken young kids on your own and how did it work out? Any advice??? We are flying in and staying onsite so no big logistical nightmares (one can hope??). With the dining plan, I feel that I have a REALLY good idea of how much $$ we will actually spend....(please reassure me that my 11 year old son CAN (if he decides) get a kids meal (since we are paying for the adult meal...)...right??)....

My biggest fear is my six year old girl will decide she is tired and we'll all be toast, lol. My husband is the worlds easiest target and all she has to say is "shoulder's daddy?" and she has herself a ride...I am TRYING to get it through her pretty little head that will NOT be an option on this trip, lol. She told me as long as she can sit down and drink a coke she'll be fine. (mom will have a beer and maybe I'll be fine, too???:dance3: )

Any great words of wisdom/advice?? Thanks in advance~~~~~~~~:flower3:

I just got back from a trip with my DS, 18, who is autistic. I was nervous, too, but things went well. You know your kids the best, so just watch for any warnig signs to avoid meltdowns, etc. Maybe you would consider a stroller for your youngest so she won't get tired as fast. My understanding of the meal plan is that if you are paying for an adult meal, he can order off the kids menu.

Good luck and have fun, it could be an adventure the kids will talk about for years, in a good way. :lmao: :cool1: :banana:

I have traveled alone with 2 or 3 starting when the youngest was 5. We've been on our own about 6 times. I could give you advice, but I am not sure it would be germaine because my 2 youngest are so easy going. Not a squabble the entire time and nary a whine. That is why I traveled with them.
I did go solo (DH was at meetings) once with DS10mos, DS 5, DS10 and DD13 who was in a wheelchair with a broken foot. That was not my favorite trip.

When I have several kids on my hands alone, I find that patience and planning are the keys. For one, enlist the help of the older child as your special helper. Kids who are 10 or so love to feel important, helpful and grown up. Second, be structured. Get one of those touring plans and tweak it to fit your needs. Make sure everyone has their own itinerary. My daughter and nephew LOVE having their own little map. I say, "Where are we going now?" They pull out their maps and look. I say, "The merry-go-round?" and they both agree like they read it on the map. I also get the to hold hands and either march with me or we pretend to be a choo-choo train. Just keep it light, fun, and structured. I also make it a point to say many times throughout the day, "Thank you for being so good today. I'm so proud of you." They love that. My sister always says her kids are so difficult, but I have never had a problem with them. When she saw that I had them all holding hands and marching, she was stunned.

I did a partial solo trip this past January....DH had a business meeting at the Swan and he was not with us for 4 days....I took our 2 and 3 year old to Animal Kingdom, EPCOT, MGM, and MK...The first day was a bit hariy for me doing the AK alone, but by the second day I had gotten a routine down pack..
-I rented a stroller, it was a life saver....Renting the stroller at the park instead of using our own freed my hand to have a good grasp on both girls when baording a bus or boat...
-I would give them breakfast in the room....We had groceries delivered to the room and would eat a bagel or cereal prior to getting to the park...Their bellies were full until it was time for lunch...
-I used there mood as my guide...If they were happy and well rested we would stay in a park for a longer period...If they did not get the best of sleep we would do a half day at the park and come back to the room to rest..
-I made different dining reservations...If any of the reservations were at a buffet a let the hostess know I was trying alone with 2 toddlers...This way the hostess would alert the server who would help me at the buffet...I would tip extra for their kindness....
It was tiring a little, but I had a good time with my girls! We are hoping to go back alone when DH has another meeting in Miami...This time I am going to stay on the monorail....I can't wait!!:banana:

I did a partial solo trip this past January....DH had a business meeting at the Swan and he was not with us for 4 days....I took our 2 and 3 year old to Animal Kingdom, EPCOT, MGM, and MK...The first day was a bit hariy for me doing the AK alone, but by the second day I had gotten a routine down pack..
-I rented a stroller, it was a life saver....Renting the stroller at the park instead of using our own freed my hand to have a good grasp on both girls when baording a bus or boat...
-I would give them breakfast in the room....We had groceries delivered to the room and would eat a bagel or cereal prior to getting to the park...Their bellies were full until it was time for lunch...
-I used there mood as my guide...If they were happy and well rested we would stay in a park for a longer period...If they did not get the best of sleep we would do a half day at the park and come back to the room to rest..
-I made different dining reservations...If any of the reservations were at a buffet a let the hostess know I was trying alone with 2 toddlers...This way the hostess would alert the server who would help me at the buffet...I would tip extra for their kindness....
It was tiring a little, but I had a good time with my girls! We are hoping to go back alone when DH has another meeting in Miami...This time I am going to stay on the monorail....I can't wait!!:banana:

That picture of your kids with Tigger is so darling! You have beautiful girls. princess:

I took my 3 children last August by myself and I plan on doing it again this June also. Their ages now are 13,12, and 7. I enlisted the cooperation of my older 2 with the youngest one, took our time when doing stuff and didn't plan any really long days. The biggest challenge for me was that my 7 year old & 13 year old won't go on a lot of different things, so I had to try to appease my 12 year old who couldn't do alot of what he wanted to do. Luckily with our trip, I knew my husband would be down at the end of it and that is when my son got to do what he really wanted like all of those roller coasters.

One thing that happened was that I got to see my older two in a different light because I did need to rely on them to some extent.

We had a great time and we are looking forward to our upcoming June trip whch starts on 6/10 so maybe we'll see you there.

Hi there, I've done this 3 times: with DS's 12 and 9, with DS's 14 and 11 and their DF13, and with DS's 16 and 13 and their DF16 -- you'll be fine. Just set the ground rules ahead of time, try to do the things they want to do, and you'll have a blast! It really will go fine.

I think your kids are at a great age, especially for cooperating. As long as they know what's expected of each of them ahead of time and you don't tour commando style, you and the kids will have a wonderful trip. :goodvibes

Every year since '99! As a single mom it was a choice of not going on vacation or handling it all myself. Prepare your 6yo for all the walking by starting family walks at home. Also if renting a stroller is an option for her let her know that you will get one if she needs it.

Planning is the key. One thing that has always been sucessful for my kids is that I give them a time where they get to plan our rides/attractions. This gives them some control over their own fun and it makes it easier for them to bypass the rides they really want to ride right now that has a 60 min. standby time for another ride that is a walk on. I find they plan all week long for their time and it is so much fun letting them pick what they want to do.

We also each have a must do list that we come up with before we leave. It will usually have 10 items on it that are important to each person. The only way we don't do that item on vacation is if the person decides they don't want to do it. Otherwise we figure out a way to ride them, even if there is a long line because it is important to them. The kids come away from vacation with only regretting not riding x ride more times.

Sit down dinners are heaven! You don't have to balance food, find a table, and corral the kids while doing all of the above.

Mid day breaks!!! If everyone gets a little rest everyone is always a little happier. And if momma gets a rest then she is better able to deal with and minor grumpies. Make sure to take care of your self.

You won't be able to do it all so go in with a plan to go at your kids pace and enjoy!

I take my 4 kids all the time by myself. I was real nervous the first time too.
since it wasn't a problem i do it all the time now.:goodvibes
I too was worried about my youngest who is 5 now, 3 at the time I started taking them alone. I do sugggest that you rent a stroller in case the 6 yr old gets tired which she definitely will. Sometimes my 10 yr old will even sit in it.
Let everyone know that this will be the last trip without Dad if they are not on their best behavior.
You will be fine. :thumbsup2 Have a great time.
I'm actually taking them again in 2 weeks.:cool1:

Number one, relax & get in a mindset to have a wonderful time & LET THE MAGIC HAPPEN!

Number two, involve the kids in the planning & work together to plan what everybody "must see & do".

Number three, spend some time reviewing menus so you'll have those issues worked out before the trip. I found it handy to carry an index card in my pocket w/ CS locations that would work for us in each park. That way, when it was lunch time we could go to the location that was closest to where we were in that park -- avoids extra walking.

Number four, talk w/ the kids & explain that you are afraid of having no fun if people don't cooperate. Most of the time kids will step up because they want mom to have fun & feel like they can help make that happen.

Number five, my guess is youngest will do better simply because she won't have dad to fall back on. You may find this is a great growth experience for her. (And just think how happy DH will be when he doesn't have to haul anyone around on his shoulders anymore.)

Hope your trip is magical! :tinker:

DOUBLE STROLLER!!! Your kids may think that they are too big for strollers but by day two or three it will save on so many melt downs, both you and your kids.
I only took one child, then 7, by myself. He would always be about 10 paces behind me no matter how slow I walked. He was tired by the second mid day. So I rented a stroller. After that, I didn't have walk backwards to keep an eye on him, he was in a better mood, and we moved around sooo much faster. That stroller was the BEST.
I plan on taking two kids next year by myself. They will be 6 and 11 then.
A stroller is already in the plan.

I go every year with my DD 11, neice 3 and my sister 13. We all have a good time and have no problems.

My cousin went last yr with her Ds and they had a very special time...it'll be great...fantastic memories.

It'll be great! I second (or is it third?) the stroller. If your 6yo can ride daddy's sholders, she can use the stroller! My 6yo is a big guy, but I think under the circumstances I would get one, too, He still passes out in the car if we are driving around 3pm, so I think he would nap in the middle of the day in a stroller, too.

One other thing - let me start with I love DH very much and totally enjoy vacation trips with him,...BUT (teehee) when I do stuff with just the kids, its a whole different kind of trip. DH sets out to conquer vacation, which IS fun. But going with the flow is fun, too. ;) And, (I know this is awful) when there is only 1 adult, there is no difference of opinion what that flow is. LOL.

It'll be great! I second (or is it third?) the stroller. If your 6yo can ride daddy's sholders, she can use the stroller! My 6yo is a big guy, but I think under the circumstances I would get one, too, He still passes out in the car if we are driving around 3pm, so I think he would nap in the middle of the day in a stroller, too.

One other thing - let me start with I love DH very much and totally enjoy vacation trips with him,...BUT (teehee) when I do stuff with just the kids, its a whole different kind of trip. DH sets out to conquer vacation, which IS fun. But going with the flow is fun, too. ;) And, (I know this is awful) when there is only 1 adult, there is no difference of opinion what that flow is. LOL.

Your post made me laugh! You are right...I can very much see that this trip will be much more laid back (sorry if you are reading this, honey!!:love: )

I believe I will keep the stroller option in mind. That sounds much better than stopping every 30 minutes for another coke/beer combo, lol. Might have trouble making it back to the hotel if I do that:faint:

Thanks so much for all the replies! I really am excited about this trip. Got my crocs, my tour guide Mike, my ADR's and still have 51 days to plan & anticipate!!!!!:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter