Taking food off ship?

Tucker24

Mouseketeer
our only excursion is Kennedy space center. Can we take unpackaged food off the ship? Since it’s florida didn’t think they would check like customs. Was thinking of taking some snacks, cookies, maybe sandwiches but not crustables

Nope, only SEALED prepackaged food can be taken off, if it is opened it cannot be taken off the ship, period. And most ports have dogs that sniff it out, every port has massive fines for violating this and most have jail time as well.

Nope, you can't take any fresh foods of the ship. And if anything, I would guess Florida is even more strict about this than some of the other ports you might visit.

My kids each brought 2 of the boxes of prepackaged cereals from Cabanas the morning we departed.
Yes, as long as it is prepackaged and still sealed it should be fine at most ports, although if you are headed up to Canada (I know doesn't apply to OP) there are some restrictions about country origin and ingredients.

Nope, only SEALED prepackaged food can be taken off, if it is opened it cannot be taken off the ship, period. And most ports have dogs that sniff it out, every port has massive fines for violating this and most have jail time as well.

Personally I wouldn’t risk it but I wonder how a dog could smell the difference between packaged food like ceral and non packaged food. They must be able to smell right through the package.

Personally I wouldn’t risk it but I wonder how a dog could smell the difference between packaged food like ceral and non packaged food. They must be able to smell right through the package.
They would alert on any food product. After inspection the pre-packaged food would be allowed.

And most ports have dogs that sniff it out, every port has massive fines for violating this and most have jail time as well.

Not disputing that the risk exists, but this feels a little overstated to me. Most likely if a tourist is found taking prohibited food off a ship, they'll just confiscate the food.

I have frequently taken food off ships at many ports, and have never been challenged in any way. Most of the ports I've been to don't even have any significant customs control, particularly in the Caribbean. If there were dogs around, I didn't notice them, and they didn't notice me. :confused3

I would guess control at a US port is probably tighter, but even there the most likely penalty is confiscation, unless you're foolish enough to lie to the customs officer.

You definitely won't need anything on CC, they provide plenty and as far as getting off the ship last time we got off and for some odd reason my husband and I were engaged in conversation while I was eating an apple and completely forgot about it, as we were about to step off the ship they told me to either wait there and finish it or just toss it. They said only pre-packaged food, I knew this but for some reason it slipped my mind as we were planning our WDW day! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter