Taking first trip to Disneyland in November and have a few questions

sgerto

Living in a small world after all
Hi everyone!
We’re going from Monday 11/12- Thursday 11/15. Arriving at LAX around 9 and leaving around 5. Four people (me, wife, and two 18yo kids). Staying at Best Western Stovall (across street from intersection of DCA and down street from Downtown Disney). Huge Disney fans.
Here’s my questions:
1. Shuttle van or motor coach? I was going to rent a car but it’ll cost at least $100 more overall. I like the freedom of coming and going at our leisure with the rental but also know we are gonna need $$$ for other things. And it’s only a 15 min walk from hotel to park entrance.
2. Doing the max pass for sure but should we get the hopper? We’ve been to Walt Disney World twice when kids were five and nine. We lose essentially a day of our trip because of flight times/ travel times to (and from) resort and want to maximize our time at the parks. But is that $200 that really necessary?
3. Has there been any word about World of Color? With the return date being late 2018 I hoped it would be in conjunction with the start of holiday season which we will be there for the start of.
4. Based on the time we’re going are either of the parks “one day” parks? Meaning can you hit most of the rides in one day? The question kind of ties in with #2 but it’ll help me decide which park to go to each day. I know one day we are going to spend time at the VOID and shopping in Downtown.
5. About how long does it take to get to Disneyland from LAX and how much time should I give us to get back to LAX for our return flight?

Thank you all for any tips and advice you can give. Our sons entering the Marines after graduating next year and our daughter moves away to college so I want to make this trip as magical as possible.

1. Take the Disneyland Express or just get an Uber/Lyft to save time if you really don't want a rental.

2. Get the hopper. Maxpass has more value with a hopper because you can make FP reservations for either park from either park. It takes literally 2 minutes to walk across to the other park.

3. WOC won't be back by November. It's probably not coming back at all in 2018. It is majorly, majorly broken.

4. DCA is easily a one day park (meaning rides) if you do open to close. HOWEVER, it will be hosting the Festival of Holidays at that time and that will be the first week so it will be more crowded than normal, plus you may want to partake in the food booths so you will spend extra time doing that. The VOID experience only takes about 30 min and you can do all of Downtown Disney (the shopping aspect) in well under 2 hours...There isn't much shopping there right now.

5. LAX to DL can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2+ hours, depending on traffic. Give yourself at least an hour and a half to do the trip back to the airport. Leave 3.5-4 hours before your scheduled flight time.

I am moving this thread to the trip planning board: Disneyland (California). You'll get lots of good suggestions and advice there!

My two cents:
1. Agree with the pp that you have the options of Disneyland Express bus and Uber/Lyft. Also, people here use Super Shuttle and Lansky's Car Service (this one includes a short grocery store stop on the way to the hotel). Your choice just depends on your budget, schedule/timing, and needs. Lots of options!
2. Get the park hoppers! With basically all adults in your group, you should have no trouble hopping multiple times between parks each day. The two parks are about a football field's length apart -- you can see the gates of one park from the other park's gates. As the pp said, MP lets you book FPs for one park from the other park, so to use MP to its full advantage, get the hoppers and enjoy your freedom! Don't think of it as hopping between two parks -- those of us who visit often think of it more like one big park.
3. Sadly, WOC does appear to be on hiatus until late, maybe very late this year. No official word yet on a return date. PTN looks like it might still be around for your trip dates -- keep watching these boards for more info. The holiday food booths will be up in DCA and Viva Navidad will be returning in DCA, too. Look at the Christmas and Holiday Time 2018 Superthread (OFFICIAL 2018 Christmas & Holiday Time at DLR Superthread!!) for updated holiday information.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies and moving my questions!
Went to SuperShuttle website and can get a private shuttle from them for $144 RT. What's their reliability? Now, I've seen people talking about Lansky. Just sent in for a quote.

I've heard on podcasts and read on sites the seeming frequency of walking up to the loading area for the Disneyland Express only to watch the bus drive away and have to wait a hour for another bus.

I'm supposed to be talking to my travel agent today, but she hasn't been the most "reliable" source of information or even been able to contact. I paid off my trip four months ago, when do they send you the passes?

I would do Lansky. They are reliable, there on time, don't troll for additional passengers, etc. Worth the little extra in cost. I use them from LAX all the time as they know the traffic backups and get you there fast. Usually about 50 minutes. They also give you a pickup time for your return. They are usually right as they will check traffic as well. Just be prepared as they do arrive about 15 minutes earlier to pick you up. However, they will wait. I am usually changing clothes and repacking my Parks bag to my travel bag.

Definitely do the Hopper passes. I think the time you are going, MaxPass might be worth it.

Unfortunately I would not plan on WOC.

We usually do shopping in DTD on travel days, unless we leave later in the evening on the return flight. This trip we are going to arrive mid-morning and will hit the parks that day. However, we are leaving, early afternoon, and will have breakfast either at Goofy's Kitchen or Storytellers and then some shopping.

I think Passes usually arrive about 2 weeks before your trip.

Have a great time!

I get so excited to hear about first time trips to Disneyland. I don’t have much to add to PP. Just that I agree with the Hopper suggestion. Hopping at DLR is not at all like hopping at WDW.

Since you’re not complete Disney Newbies I’m sure you know to have a plan but be flexible to whims and surprise magical experiences. Arrive early and get on as many rides as you can in the first couple of hours. Then use the MP and stroll around, shop, fuel up, see shows and rest during the peak time of the day. Get back at those rides after dark and close the park down every night. Most of all enjoy those memories! Oh and if you’re doing MP get all the ride photos and family pics you can since they are included too!

My unsolicited two cents. :mickeyjum

Thanks everyone for the great advice! We are definitely doing MaxPass and have been convinced to do the Hopper. Originally just going to hang out in one park per day but the Hopper option makes so much more sense.

Are you getting a 3 day hopper? I would. Mon-wed. Last minute travel club has discounted tickets if that helps!

I agree to skip dtd. Just do that stuff on your departure day.

We've got out tickets and the hopper is one flat price, $50 a person

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter