Taking a break from the madness!

dawn117

Mouseketeer
We are super excited for our WDW trip Jan 3-7 but know it will be beyond crowded. We will rope drop and we have our FP+ and our touring plans so I think we will be fine. However, I would like to have some ideas tucked away in my head for fun things to do out of the parks if the crowds get to be too much. Since it is marathon week I’m wondering if the resorts will also be really crowded as resort hopping was one idea. I also thought of going to Ft Wilderness campground and renting bikes. Can you suggest other ideas? We will be 4 adults. Thanks so much!!

The resorts in general will be fine. Most of them are near 100% occupancy even in the offseason. There MAY be some Christmas decorations still up in WL or GF by the 3rd, but it will be close. We like eating counter service at Poly and just walking around the resort, and we've only stayed there once.

In September, DS and I rented one of those little two-person boats at the CR marina (they are also available at the marinas at GF, Poly, and WL, and maybe FW although not sure about that). It was awesome! You’re free to go pretty much all over the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. It’s pretty cool to be out in the middle of the water catching all of the sounds and excitement, seeing the resorts and MK from different angles, etc.

The weather might not be in your favor in early Jan, but on a warm day where I was looking for some time to kill, I’d definitely do it again.

On our last trip, we had heavy crowds toward the end. If wait times at MK are unbearable or don't fit in the schedule, I would actually recommend spending time playing Sorcerers of the MK because there is almost never much of a wait to play and the cards make pretty good souvenirs. My husband and I did this and we had a lot of fun finding the different spots on the map and collecting the cards. It's nice to be in the atmosphere of the park and engaging in something other than a ride or a show. It's actually something I really look forward to if we go back.

I always found the boat ride from EP intl gateway to HS relaxing. And the board walk area tends to be off the beaten path compared to MK crowds

We will be there the exact same days! We plan to just use our fastpasses and hope for the best!

I don't think the monorail resort hopping will work. Unless you have several hours to waste. You will first have to go through security check at each resort, just to get on the monorail. The monorail will be so crowded you may not even get on it for a few trains. The restaurants will be so crowded, you won't just be able to walk up and get a seat, order and exit in reasonable time. That plan sounds like a very long, frustrating night to me.
I'd head to the non monorail resorts for resort hopping.

The restaurants will be so crowded, you won't just be able to walk up and get a seat, order and exit in reasonable time.

I thought the same thing. I can't imagine getting an ADR for any of the monorail restaurants at this point in time, either.

You might want to check your morning plans with the race schedule. The 5k and 10k (Thursday and Friday) go through Epcot, the half goes through MK before returning to Epcot, and the full on Sunday goes through all four parks.

We tried to resort hop tonight (wanted to see Grand Floridian) but were denied at all the monorail resorts without an ADR (they were asking for confirmation numbers). We have done this many times before during the same week and were never denied entry.

We tried to resort hop tonight (wanted to see Grand Floridian) but were denied at all the monorail resorts without an ADR (they were asking for confirmation numbers). We have done this many times before during the same week and were never denied entry.

Wow, I've never seen that either. Worst case you could try for a last minute adr on MDE at the less popular resort restaurants like the Grand Floridian Cafe or the Wave. Those always seems to have availability.

I thought the same thing. I can't imagine getting an ADR for any of the monorail restaurants at this point in time, either.
I just did a quick check and surprisingly there were a few! I checked for Tuesday (1/4) lunch for 4 and there was a 12:10 Chef Mickey's and multiple times at Kona, GF cafe, and the Wave.

We’re you driving in yourself or taking resort transportation? Where were you turned away?

We always enjoy spending time resort hopping - specifically for the bars. Most of the bars have food so you don't need to worry about ADRs or crowded restaurants. Even during the busiest times of the year we have never had any problem being able to walk right up to a bar without any kind of wait (Trader Sam's would be the exception, however if you get there a bit before it opens you can get in fairly easily). Disney Springs is also a great place for bar hopping - many times the bars there offer the restaurant's full menu. Plus walking around DS and though the stores is fun.

At various times of the year the security guards at the resorts are stricter about letting people who are driving in if they don't have a valid reason to be there. However, we have been allowed in during those times when we have told them we are going to one of the bars. If you drive and have an ADR we have never had a problem, and we have never had a problem using WDW transportation to resort hop without ADRs. If you are concerned, then play it safe and just take WDW transportation.

Typically Epcot is manageable even if the other parks are extremely crowded. It's our favorite park so we spend most of our time there anyway. You don't have to do rides to enjoy Epcot. We have had MANY visits to Epcot where we never actually got on any rides, just enjoyed walking around world showcase.

It's also fun in a group to just wander around the parks looking for Photopass spots.

We were driving and were turned away at the security gate. We usually go to Chef Mickey on our arrival night and then take the monorail loop. I couldn’t get a ressie this time so ate elsewhere and just want to do the monorail and check out GF. There were signs out stating entry was for resort guests and those with confirmed reservations only. I asked if we could check out the resorts or see if any restaurants had availability and was told no. We could turn around and call for a reservation and would need to provide that number upon reentry. So bummed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter