• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Take-apart ECV for transporting?

helencw

Earning My Ears
My husband, who is disabled, has promised our 4 year old son that he will try to go to the Magic Kingdom with us. We're leaving on Wednesday.

My husband is 6' with very long legs. He has knee, foot, and back problems which requires the use of an ECV. It seems that the ECV's rented at WDW have 4 wheels. He has tried 4 wheel ECV's, but finds that there is not enough space for his feet causing an acute angle bend in his knees which gives him terrible pain.

The 3 wheel ECV's work are fine for him, but we would have to rent them off site. We will be staying at the Hotel Caribe. One company told us they have ones that you could dismantle and transport in a car.

Has anyone had experience with these? I would be the one who would have to lift it and put it together. Is this something that the average woman could do? Would the dismantled ECV fit in the trunk of a full size car?

Also, do you have any advice for getting to the MK from the parking lot?

Thanks for any help you could offer.

First of all, welcome to disABILTIES!

If you click on where it says "disABILITIES!" at the top of this page it will take you back to the indes. The 5th item down is the "disABILITIES FAQ" which answers all of these questions and more.

I know that from Walker the heaviest piece is 39 pounds and mine (a former rental) can fit in the trunk of a 97 Taurus; a larger car is easier.

Also, if you have a handicap hang tag bring it with you so you can park in the Medical Parking area.

Thank you Cheshire Figment for the welcome and the info!
Would you recommend taking the ferry or the monorail from the handicapped parking area to the Magic Kingdom?
Thanks to everyone on this great board!

The Ferry is actually a bit easier.

The Ferry is 100% accessible with absolutely no assistance required of any CMs. Your hubby could roll right on and right off and there. There are no steep ramps to negotiate. They do not have an elevator to the upper level for the view, but the lower level is very large and has plenty of good views.

The monorail is accessible, BUT. There is a very steep ramp to get to the monorail and I usually have to stand behind hubbys ECV when going up the ramp at the MK to help it along. (FYI at the Epcot monorail station there is an elevator) Also to board the monorail, the CMs have to put up a ramp to board and when you get off the CMs have to put up a ramp for you. Sometimes when we arrive at our destination on the monorail, I have to poke my head out the door to remind the CMs that we need the ramp.

Carol

clkelley said:
The Ferry is actually a bit easier.

The Ferry is 100% accessible with absolutely no assistance required of any CMs. Your hubby could roll right on and right off and there. There are no steep ramps to negotiate. They do not have an elevator to the upper level for the view, but the lower level is very large and has plenty of good views.

The monorail is accessible, BUT. There is a very steep ramp to get to the monorail and I usually have to stand behind hubbys ECV when going up the ramp at the MK to help it along. (FYI at the Epcot monorail station there is an elevator) Also to board the monorail, the CMs have to put up a ramp to board and when you get off the CMs have to put up a ramp for you. Sometimes when we arrive at our destination on the monorail, I have to poke my head out the door to remind the CMs that we need the ramp.

Carol
:yes:
That monorail ramp is very steep. The "station" is at second floor level, so the ramp has to get you up that far.

Thanks CLKelly and SueM for the tips on the monorail and ferry. We're packed and flying tomorrow. We're also nervous but it will be worth it. Our son has been talking about being with daddy in Disney World for a long time. He will be so happy when we get there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter