Tae Kwon Do (or other martial arts) question

Pigeon

DIS Veteran
For those of you with kids in Tae Kwon Do or other martial arts, or those who do it themselves, I have a question.

Does your school require you to sign a long-term contract, or can you pay month by month?

DD13 tests for black belt tomorrow. We talked to the Master about what happens after this if she wants to go for second degree black belt. The only option they offer is to sign a multiyear contract for about $5K. There is no way to just pay by the month.

DD starts high school next year, so I'm not inclined in the least to get into another expensive contract. She's been doing this for years and, while she loves it, might want to try track and field or swimming at school, and there's no way she could do both as she's also a serious musician. She would like to continue for now, but she also doesn't know if she'll want to do it come high school.

There are many things we like about the TKD school, but the high pressure sales isn't one of them. So, I was wondering, is a long term contract the norm or do other places do monthly payment. I'll call around local schools, but was curious what you all would say.

Find another school. Your child is there to learn a martial art not finance the instructor's lifestyle.

Do NOT sign any contract!!! That's how they get you to continue attending and paying. This happened with my DD. She had taken martial arts for many years (from age 4 to 9/10) but wasn't getting anywhere. The school just continued teaching them the same things over and over and over and they had white belts (brand new students) in the same classes with kids who were more advanced.

My daughter got bored with it. I tried to have her keep going but she would actually cry when I told her she had to go to class. I wasn't going to force her so I tried to do the right thing and speak with the owner. He tried to convince me how important it was for her to attend and all this other crap. I told him that 1. I didn't think it was fair for them to constantly learn the same move over and over and over for months on end when they're not truly learning any self defense and 2. why are brand new students in with experienced students? Of course, he tried some mumbo-jumbo double talk nonsense. I told him she won't be attending anymore. I then wrote him a letter and mailed it certified/return receipt. He, in turn, had a collection agency try to come after me for the remaining money on the contract. I had a lawyer friend write them a nice letter stating if they continue to contact me in any way, we will sue them for all the money we already paid, etc. I never heard from them again.

Oh, by the way, this same idiot owner was on Wife Swap --- and I saw exactly where all that money was going. He had a huge home, expensive cars, his pre-teen daughter had expensive handbags & clothing, etc. All on the backs of the parents who had to sign contracts to attend his school.

No, I wouldn't sign a contract. Find a school that will let you attend month-by-month.

My kids take TKD take it through our fitness center, Lifetime Fitness, so we obviously pay the monthly membership fee there but we use it for many other things. The TKD alone is $60 per month/per kid. There is no contract and we can quit at any time with no penalty. Personally I would never sign a contract for any child's activity. You never know when their tastes/interests could change etc.

RUN!!! :scared1: That is crazy long for classes!!! DS started TKD when he was 4. At the time they were great classes for him but they've gone down hill fast. They required a 6 month contract you renewed every 6 months but still paid monthly. I was fine with that. After looking around trying to find a new place since this one is not working out though, I'd never do it again. No one else requires a contract like that, they're all by the month. It was very difficult to find other places in our area, for some reason they don't advertise much, but we did find a great place that we'll be starting soon, can't wait!

So yeah, I'd look around. Being a black belt they should be able to keep the rank and just continue training.

I'm sorry he's telling you to sign a contract to continue. I can't stand pressure like that.

My son is in a studio that does month-to-month. I looked at a lot of places before finding one that was right for us - no contract, set fee per month with no limit on the number of classes he can attend and they don't require you to buy their equipment. We're happy with the choice, too.

We paid month to month for my son. I would never sign a contract, especially not one for more than a few months.

My DD7 also was in TKD and it required us to sign contacts 6 months at a time, but they broke the amount into monthly payments and went through a finance company for the payments. This was the part I didn't like, I would have just paid them the whole 6 months at a time, but they didn't accept money at the actual studio at all, it all had to be done through the finance company. We of course did it that way, but I was not a fan of having to give all my personal information including social security numbers for my daughter to take a class.

I have no intention of signing a long term contract at this point, I was just wondering if paying month by month is common. This particular school is part of a small, local family-owned chain of about 6 locations, and it's the one most popular and most advertised.

I'm sure there are other, smaller places, but I didn't know pervasive the contract-only approach is going to be.

$5K is about a year's worth of tuition at the local state university, and I'm not about to commit to that for TKD if dd may change her mind along the way.

We have always been very pleased with the quality of the instruction and the facilities, but the point a pp made about the possibilty of the place going downhill and still being stuck with a contract is a good one.

First-- a big CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is a big accomplishment for your daughter. :cool1::cool1:

Second--month to month is a normal thing for many TKD places.

Good luck!

We chose a month to month program. The others around here are a 1 year contract, and I am not interested in contracts. You are also not required to buy their gear and there is no set period for testing. You test when you are personally ready, not just collecting belts at $50 a pop!

sometimes we like to skip a month here and there and that has worked really well for us.

My DS and DD both earned their 2nd degree blackbelts with TKD, their school required a year contract, payable monthly. We were not happy with signing even a yearly contract, but that is how all the schools locally do it. Anything more than a year I think is just ridiculous.
My DS was on the fence about continuing with TKD when he went into HS, and we decided not to renew the TKD contract. It was the best decision we made, he got really involved with HS activities/sports and between that and homework, there just wasn't enough time for TKD too.
He does love the martial arts though and one day would love to go back to it.

In New England at the ATA Karate for Kids places, after you reach Black Belt, they require a 1 year contract. It is to an outside agency and they do require all your financials including social security #. When I went to withdraw from class as my son wanted to do football in the fall, I had a single 21 year old male instructor tell me not to "be a failure as a parent by failing my son by pulling him out of the program." I was insulted and while we were going to go back after football season was over- I ran the other way. Now my son does year round team sports and doesn't miss TKD.

We sign a one year contract but pay monthly. I don't mind a one year contract, but I wouldn't go for a multi-year or single payment. Is there any competition in town, particularly a school of the same "type" of TKD for the easiest transition?

We sign a one year contract but pay monthly. I don't mind a one year contract, but I wouldn't go for a multi-year or single payment. Is there any competition in town, particularly a school of the same "type" of TKD for the easiest transition?

I did a little research this afternoon, and unfortunately, there's no other TKD school that will work out. The others are either too far away to be doable in our schedule or only have classes on two nights that won't work.

There are a couple of karate places close by with better schedules that don't seem to have contracts as a requirement. I broached the subject a little with her but she's less than enthusiastic about starting as a white belt in a different martial art.

But I think it was an emotional day. She passed the test (but the ceremony isn't for two weeks, so she can attend class till then). She's made some nice friends there of a variety of ages, and I don't think she can imagine doing this without them at a new place. We'll see after she has a few days to process this. Maybe I can at least get her to observe a karate class or two and then make up her mind.

I'm more than a bit irritated at the TKD Master. It's a rotten way to do business. The contract that is our only option there is at least four years, which is just ridiculous. I guess it just shows where his priorities are.

Wow OP, I feel for you and your daughter. 4 years is a ridiculous comittment and a horrible way to treat someone to decide that when they are supposed to be making such a huge accomplishment and celebrate that instead of being pressured.

I too have had a rough time w/ TKD lately. My husband is an instructor for my kids and teaches them at home. He told me if he were to work for a different "school" than the one he trained with as a young man (he's now in his 50's) that his master would see it as a disrespect to him. This is despite the fact we now live hours away from that "school" so my kids are completely limited to what they can do locally b/c my husband refuses to work with anyone else. My response - "Wow, that sounds like it is all about money!"

Sad!

Congrats to your daughter and good luck at finding a solution. I have found in the past when I can not come to an agreement about such a money situation with a company, I have written a letter "stating my case" and giving the company a reason to "do things my way" - they can either work with you and still get payment from you each month (with no or a shorter contract) or they get nothing. See if they will budge for a student they should care about! If not I would keep looking at other options. Good luck!:hippie:

I'm more than a bit irritated at the TKD Master. It's a rotten way to do business. The contract that is our only option there is at least four years, which is just ridiculous. I guess it just shows where his priorities are.

I don't blame you for being irritated. That's now way to treat a long-time, loyal customer.He should know that it is cheaper to maintain a customer than to get a new one.

If you didn't do so yet, check with the "new" karate. When we looked around it was my concern that we'd have to start back as white belts if it wasn't TKD. We were both about a blue belt, so pretty high up there. All the places I checked said no, you keep your rank. I would think especially being a black belt this would hold true. There will be a lot of new training, new techniques, but you are still at a black belt level. Worth checking out anyway. We were lucky to find Tang Soo Do, which is a sister to TKD... same language, same kicks and such so it will be a smooth transition.

Most importantly though, CONGRATULATIONS to your DS :cool1: a great accomplishment! :cheer2:

I don't blame you for being irritated. That's now way to treat a long-time, loyal customer.He should know that it is cheaper to maintain a customer than to get a new one.

It also obnoxious for kids who started a little later, and who might be off to college before the contract runs out, or for people in the military, people who have jobs that transfer them or folks who've been laid off and are stuck in those contracts with no source of income.

Writing a letter to the owner isn't going to do any good. It's a family owned business, all the locations have this policy, and he's one of the family. Each location is owned by one of the brothers or sisters.

Good to know that she might not have to start as a white belt with karate. That's a question to ask when we examine the other schools.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter