• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Table service meal and child not eating

hulagirl87

DIS Veteran
I wasn't even sure how to word the title, but I will explain my question... DD is 6 and a super picky eater. She is a type 1 diabetic and tends to eat what she is comfortable with and doesn't try new foods. I will be packing a lot of her food and bring it into the parks with us. We had to get her the dining plan because DH and I are getting it. DS doesn't need it because he isn't 3 yet. We will be eating at a bunch of the buffets because there is a small chance that I will be able to get DD a few things she likes. As of right now, we have more ADR's than nights, so we will be paying OOP for some table service meals. We are planning to eat at Liberty Tree Tavern (DH's pick) and I was just thinking today that DD will not eat anything there. Same with Be Our Guest. If she is just sitting at the table and not eating, will we still be charged for her? Just curious! Thanks!

Not if it's not a buffet or one of the prepaid show meals. You only pay for what you order at a TS restaurant.

If it's a buffet you will have to pay for her whether she eats or not. At regular TS restaurants you don't have to order anything for her.

I think they would at Liberty Tree if it is at dinner. Isn't it family-style for dinner?

Also, LTT dinner is AYCTE so even though not a buffet, you would still have to pay for her.

Yeah, LTT is an admission meal for dinner, so you'd have to use a credit for her there.

At most places, especially TS locations, the staff will try to work with you if you have any special dietary needs. "Picky eater" doesn't usually count, but paired with type 1 diabetes, they may have some alternative suggestions.

I would suggest you make your LTT ADR for lunch. If you already have a lot of buffet/AYCTE meals plans, it is an option. Then you definitely won't have to pay for DD if she does not want to order anything.

I would suggest you make your LTT ADR for lunch. If you already have a lot of buffet/AYCTE meals plans, it is an option. Then you definitely won't have to pay for DD if she does not want to order anything.

DH really wants to do dinner there so he can have the all you can eat food.

Thank you everyone for all the replies!!!

At TS restaurants where you order from a menu she will not be charged if you do not order anything for her.

Everyone age 3 and older will be charged regardless of whether they eat or not at buffets (e.g. Crystal Palace, Tusker House, Boma), all you care to eat family style meals (e.g. 'Ohana, Garden Grill, Liberty Tree Tavern at dinner), fixed price meals (e.g. CRT, Akershus), dining packages (e.g. Fantasmic, Candlelight Processional), special events (e.g. Dessert parties), and the family platter at Whispering Canyon Cafe.

The waitress at Liberty Tree Tavern offered not to charge us for our 5 yo when he slept through the whole meal. She even brought us a box to bring what we had leftover in case he wanted to eat when he woke up.

The waitress at Liberty Tree Tavern offered not to charge us for our 5 yo when he slept through the whole meal. She even brought us a box to bring what we had leftover in case he wanted to eat when he woke up.

Then you received some pixie dust, and OP MAY as well, but no one should go into it thinking it may happen. 99 times out of 100, you will be required to pay for that meal.

I think there is no charge at the non-character buffet restaurants. When my kids and I went to Boma for breakfast my younger one didn't eat anything and I wasn't charged for him. However, at a character buffet I would have expected to be charged regardless since the cost is for the experience in addition to the food.

Whether there are characters or not, expect to pay at a buffet or all you care to eat venue. The servers are too busy to keep track of who is eating so the policy is to charge everyone 3 years and older. Sometimes a server will sprinkle pixie dust, but it isn't something to be counted on.

I think you were helped by the "slept through the whole meal" here as well.

If someone is awake and sitting up at the table, they will generally be charged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter