TA for cruise

CeCe0906

Mouseketeer
Convince me a TA for a DCL cruise would be good for an upcoming trip.
Background- I'm retired, so have the time, and I love to plan vacations, it's fun for me. I've only done 1 cruise before, last year a "dip my toes in" 3 day Disney Wish cruise, so I don't have any status. I spoiled myself with consierge last time due to newbie state, but now boy do I want those perks again, oops!

I took my oldest grandchild and my niece last time, and I promised my 2 other grandkids they would get to go next time. So I'm looking at the Treasure Eastern Caribbean July 2025, it's 7 day, so consierge may be a stretch, but I'm not too interested in doing the Nassau thing again, but maybe the 4 day Wish.

Anyway, when doing land based trips, especially for hotels or airlines, most times it's really better to book direct and not have to deal with third party, especially if there are issues.
I've planned and executed multiple DW and DL trips, so the whole Disney submit requests at midnight for reservations etc doesn't phase me. So I don't need handholding.
Right now, all I can see as a perk is on board credit, which free money, cool, but is that available to be used for prebooked excursions? I'm not interested in specialty dining, as I will be alone with 2 kids who can't go with me, and I prefer to eat with them. Not interested in spa services, Im not a shopper, except for maybe a couple of small souvenirs.

There will be at least 4, maybe 5 of us traveling. Myself, grkids ages 11, 9, 7, and maybe one other adult.
Are there TA that specialize in cruises? I know dates for July 2025 will be announced soon, and especially with the Treasure being new, probably have to move quickly on that.

The big selling point for me was that OnBoard credit that some agencies offer. An extra $350 I can spend on a 5 night cruise that I was just planning on booking myself? Don't mind if I do.

I also think that good DCL TA's really understand all the ins and outs on best staterooms to get (in regards to feeling motion, restrictive views, balcony size, noise and traffic).

Well, for starters, you DO have status. You are silver level castaway club which allows you to book earlier than first time customers.

Do you need an agent? Not really. I use mine for several reasons, primarily as a sounding board (since she's probably pearl) and I've only cruised once...but with six reservations thanks mostly to COVID. One cancellation was particularly complex due to a family medical issue, and she saved me hours of work. (And probably saved me money as well, in the end.) I still book all of my activities myself, get my own port times. She handles a bit of the bureaucracy...and Disney pays her for it...which she, in turn, pays me back with an onboard credit.

Because of the help she gave me on the first cruise ("What do I do?"), and navigating through COVID, I feel she's earned my business. I don't think I NEED her help as much now, but it doesn't cost me one cent...it actually saves me money, because that on-board credit can be used for anything that gets charged to the room. And if I have something come up in the future, I know I have her to help me through the situation.

It sounds like you aren't quite sure what cruise you want to take. A good Disney cruise agent can talk you through the process.

I use a TA for the onboard credit they offer. I still control all of the plans myself except for the payments. They are really helpful if a cruise gets cancelled due to weather or something like that, they then wait on the phone for you and get things moved and rebooked.

You will pay the same price regardless. I always use my travel agent. Over the years she has become a good friend. She answers questions and helps in different ways. Plus I get an on-board credit added to my stateroom.

If you are a member of Costco…they give you a shop card equal to about 8% when you book the cruise thru them as the TA. Big chunk of change but you will only be able to use it at Costco, so if you shop there it is a nice perk. If you are an executive member then you would get an additional 2% back.
IMO Costco is best for those that don’t need handholding.

Right now, all I can see as a perk is on board credit, which free money, cool, but is that available to be used for prebooked excursions? I'm not interested in specialty dining, as I will be alone with 2 kids who can't go with me, and I prefer to eat with them. Not interested in spa services, Im not a shopper, except for maybe a couple of small souvenirs.

Are there TA that specialize in cruises? I know dates for July 2025 will be announced soon, and especially with the Treasure being new, probably have to move quickly on that.
Onboard credit can be used for anything charged onboard (except placeholders for new cruises). Excursions are purchased in advance but not charged until you are onboard, so you can apply an onboard credit to them.

There are travel agents who specialize in cruises in general, and travel agents (including Dreams Unlimited, the sponsors of this board) who specialize in Disney vacations, including cruises.

The only thing you give up by using a travel agent is the ability to make changes to your reservation yourself — payments, changing rooms, adding or removing guests, and pre- and post-cruise Disney transportation must be done through your travel agent if you have one. You retain the ability to book onboard activities and shore excursions yourself.

I use an agent not only for the onboard credit but also so that if I want to cruise on an about-to-be-released itinerary, I can just let her know the cruise and cabin type I want. Then she will spend the morning on the phone applying my placeholder booking and I don’t have to.

There are lots of TAs who specialize in cruises (probably a lot of their work nowadays). And even more specific - ones who know Disney Cruise Line.

I find that booking Disney to be very straightforward; but I rarely have requests or modifications.

More importantly, I like being in control. (For example, I don’t enjoy the efforts of Concierge hosts). You sound like a person who would appreciate a TA.

Good points by above posters - onboard credit, let someone spend the time booking, help with any issues that arise.

I too, am retired and am quite adept in travel planning. However, my TA can award me OBC and since I almost always travel concierge the 5% OBC her travel agency (Dreams Unlimited, the sponsor of these boards) awards is quite helpful underwriting gratuities, extra Palo meals, and excursions (if we go on any). It's nice and giving up the small amount of vacation control (ie, sitting on hold for minutes to hours) for hundreds of dollars is worth it to me.

I love our Dreams Unlimited agent. She was absolutely critical during all the pandemic chaos but just generally I appreciate being able to get her advice on things and also not having to sit on the phone myself.

Another person who uses a TA for the on board credit. All they do is book the room for me, I handle everything else. And I tell them exactly what I want and I know how much it should cost. I mean...it's basically free money. And I can put the savings toward another cruise.

And yes, it can be used toward anything on your cruise folio - tips, excursions, purchases in the stores, etc. I've never done speciality dining or set foot in the spa.

I go online and check everything, like what staterooms are available, etc. Then I email my TA. She does all the calling and gets back to me promptly. I don't spend the time on the phone then. Sometimes there are things that I can not see that are available and she can see them because she is a TA. She puts the stateroom on hold for me until we can get it taken care of. She answers many questions that I have or want to double check on. I book my own airfare, because I want to have complete control of that. I book my own hotel the night before and all of my own excursions, adult dining, etc. She sends me emails reminding me when to get things done, like online check in. I too like to be in control of my trip and am definitely a planner. The TA just helps me do what I want to do in an easier way.

Primarily for the onboard credit, but also for the convenience. I don't have to sit on hold with DCL if there's an issue with my reservation, or to book a new cruise, etc. She will do all that for me, and it costs me the same. Plus I get onboard credit. She's also been helpful when we had questions about upgrading to concierge and moving a sail date-I didn't have to sit on hold with DCL to ask those questions, either.

I still get control of activity bookings, etc., and payments go through her/the agency. But I really like it!

Why should we convince you? Follow what you want to do.
We don't use TA. Too many horror stories of TA not sending money in, going out of business, not meeting deadlines or relaying requests. Even getting answers wrong to basic questions. There's another thread on this board right now talking about the latter. I want to know things are done and done right.
I used a TA once for a Disney Vacation. He was cordial but clearly wanted off the phone as fast as possible. It's very different calling DCL.
Also when I call DCL I don't want to hear " you have to call your TA"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter