Switzerland and Germany

putipoo

Earning My Ears
I'm new on dis boards and trying to figure this whole thing out. I'm looking for anyone who has been on a ABD trip to Switzerland and Germany. We are very excited about our back to back adventure trips in September. Anyone with some helpful tips?

I'm new on dis boards and trying to figure this whole thing out. I'm looking for anyone who has been on a ABD trip to Switzerland and Germany. We are very excited about our back to back adventure trips in September. Anyone with some helpful tips?

Are you going on 2 different trips? I went on the Switzerland trip 3 years ago and it was fabulous, I don't know what tips you are looking for but if you have specific questions I would be more than happy to answer them for you. I think the only mistake I made was thinking i only needed summer clothes they were perfect for everywhere but Zermatt it was chilly and it was colder if you took the train up to see the Matterhorn so bring a fall type jacket and jeans all I had was capri pants.

Ask away I will try to answer.

We leave Friday for our Germany ABD. Will report back when we return! :-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We did the Alpine Magic last year. The sights are beautiful!!! The Italy part is a little slow and gets hectic once you are in Switzerland. We LOVE Zermatt (very expensive!) and Gornegratt is a sight to behold! Ask away if you have any questions!

I went on the Germany ABD in July 2011. My experience was different in that I traveled with a colleague and our trip was funded through a program called Fund for Teachers. FFT allows teachers to design professional development experiences and write proposals for the travel. We are both literacy/reading teachers and wanted to visit Germany to explore castles, fairytale origins, and medieval periods, and we were both leery of trying to guide ourselves in a foreign land when neither of us speak German. The itinerary for this trip just happened to really fit what we wanted to research for our curriculum and it was within the proposal budget. Luckily, we were funded fully. With that said, we obviously viewed things through our "teacher" lenses instead of the traditional family vacationer, but it was an amazing experience. We have stayed in touch with Stephanie, our native guide, and she has even Skyped with our students and sent postcards from her travels. She still works on this tour, and she is amazing! Our American guide was leaving ABD to pursue law school. We kept a blog of our trip and what we did with our experience in our classrooms for the school year following our journey. You are welcome to visit our page but be aware that there may be some spoilers. I believe the hotel stays are still the same, but some of the experiences may be a little different.

Like any blog, it works backwards, so you'll want to go to the right sidebar and pick the earliest dates to read from the beginning (Heidelberg).

http://fairytaleduo.blogspot.com/

I went on the Germany ABD in July 2011. My experience was different in that I traveled with a colleague and our trip was funded through a program called Fund for Teachers. FFT allows teachers to design professional development experiences and write proposals for the travel. We are both literacy/reading teachers and wanted to visit Germany to explore castles, fairytale origins, and medieval periods, and we were both leery of trying to guide ourselves in a foreign land when neither of us speak German. The itinerary for this trip just happened to really fit what we wanted to research for our curriculum and it was within the proposal budget. Luckily, we were funded fully. With that said, we obviously viewed things through our "teacher" lenses instead of the traditional family vacationer, but it was an amazing experience. We have stayed in touch with Stephanie, our native guide, and she has even Skyped with our students and sent postcards from her travels. She still works on this tour, and she is amazing! Our American guide was leaving ABD to pursue law school. We kept a blog of our trip and what we did with our experience in our classrooms for the school year following our journey. You are welcome to visit our page but be aware that there may be some spoilers. I believe the hotel stays are still the same, but some of the experiences may be a little different.

Like any blog, it works backwards, so you'll want to go to the right sidebar and pick the earliest dates to read from the beginning (Heidelberg).

http://fairytaleduo.blogspot.com/

What a wonderful opportunity! I am afraid to do more than skim the blog, since we leave Friday and want to be surprised. ;-)

Looking forward to meeting Stephanie. Will tell her we heard about your trip and her Skypes with your classes!

Misstammy824 - met the wonderful Stephanie this week and mentioned you. She told me how much she enjoys keeping in touch with students! What a truly beautiful person! We had such a terrific time with her on the trip. She made me cry when she told us about her story. Amazing woman. Loved her!

Just catching up, and I'm happy to see you enjoyed your trip! I'm so glad you got to tour with Stephanie She is an amazing person!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter