Switching cruises after PIF...with a placeholder

88golf88

DisneyKid@27
Pretty specific question here...we booked a cruise using a placeholder through a TA, saved our 10% and have paid in full...welp, we are having buyers remorse and want to switch to a different sailing (Alaska)...before I have our TA call and waste time figuring everything out, has anyone had experience with this? I know the cancellation penalty for 7 day cruises is your deposit, would we only get charged the 10% deposit fee because we used a place holder or would they ding us for the normal 20% deposit? When we then would book the new cruise, we probably wouldn't get our original placeholder discount, correct? Anyone else confused?

According to the 2020 cruise contract (https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contracts-terms-safety/terms-conditions/united-states/): Changes to the vacation commencement date or changes of Guest names will be considered cancellations.

I would interpret that to mean that if you change to a different cruise after the Paid in Full date, it will be considered a new reservation, and you would lose the on-board booking discount. I am not sure what is considered the non-refundable deposit if you paid only 10% of the fare as a deposit (rather than the typical 20%) when you booked the actual date.

The only way to be sure of the answers to both questions is to have your travel agent talk to Disney Cruise.

According to the 2020 cruise contract (https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contracts-terms-safety/terms-conditions/united-states/): Changes to the vacation commencement date or changes of Guest names will be considered cancellations.

I would interpret that to mean that if you change to a different cruise after the Paid in Full date, it will be considered a new reservation, and you would lose the on-board booking discount. I am not sure what is considered the non-refundable deposit if you paid only 10% of the fare as a deposit (rather than the typical 20%) when you booked the actual date.

The only way to be sure of the answers to both questions is to have your travel agent talk to Disney Cruise.
Thank you

You would lose the "deposit" which was determined when you booked your cruise. If the deposit was calculated as 10% of the price, you would lose exactly that.

The cancellation terms and conditions don't refer to a 20% deposit - just a deposit.

You would lose the "deposit" which was determined when you booked your cruise. If the deposit was calculated as 10% of the price, you would lose exactly that.

The cancellation terms and conditions don't refer to a 20% deposit - just a deposit.
In the past, my TA told me that I'd lose the regular 20% deposit even if we'd just paid the reduced 10% deposit by booking onboard or using a placeholder that was booked onboard. That was a few years ago though so things may have changed.

I believe DCL does consider the "deposit" to be the full 20% deposit even if you only had to pay 10% with a placeholder. You may get lucky and they'll only ding you 10%, but I honestly wouldn't expect it. And I believe the original reservation will be canceled, which means losing the placeholder benefit on the alternative choice.

Good luck rescheduling and enjoy whichever cruise you end up taking!

We are already passed that...we are with in the 119-56 day range in their cancellation policy
Only the 10%. They will transfer the funds to the new cruise minus your penalty or you can get a refund. I had buyers remorse a couple of years ago. I switched from Alaska to Iceland. I paid a 350 dollar penalty. I’ve probably done this 3 or 4 times.

I believe DCL does consider the "deposit" to be the full 20% deposit even if you only had to pay 10% with a placeholder. You may get lucky and they'll only ding you 10%, but I honestly wouldn't expect it. And I believe the original reservation will be canceled, which means losing the placeholder benefit on the alternative choice.

Good luck rescheduling and enjoy whichever cruise you end up taking!
That is not correct. The deposit is the deposit you paid.

Just to update everyone...it was the 10% deposit penalty and then applied the remaining balance to the new reservation, so while it hurt a little we were able to stomach the 10% hit to get the vacation that we really had our hearts set on! Lesson learned, listen to your heart!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter