Switch dining after first night?

Craig90day

Earning My Ears
I know its been discussed a lot about asking to switch to late or early depending on what time you are slotted for. Is there anyone who has switched dining after the first night? We are on 4 day Wish this summer and wondering if it would be possible to switch to late dining after the first evening?

Unless we are talking a European cruise, switching to late should be easier than switching to early. Odds are someone else has late and would rather have early and is asking the same thing.

We've asked when boarding and been able to change times and tables - is there a reason you'd want to do it after the first meal instead of in the afternoon when you board?

We usually request early dining. On select days (typically when the ship is in port late), we'll miss our assigned dining time, go to the later time & politely request if we may be seated. We've never been turned down -- sometimes they ask us to come later, sometimes they send us to a different dining room.

Unless we are talking a European cruise, switching to late should be easier than switching to early. Odds are someone else has late and would rather have early and is asking the same thing.

We've asked when boarding and been able to change times and tables - is there a reason you'd want to do it after the first meal instead of in the afternoon when you board?
Thanks for the reply, honestly just want to "feel it out". I think we are stuck between the pros and cons of each dining. knowing that there are options once we board makes me think we should just still to early dining for now.

There is no guarantee. Especially if the ship is completely full.

You would most likely get a different serving team, so I'd be sure to plan to somehow compensate them since your autogratuities will go to the new team.

You would most likely get a different serving team, so I'd be sure to plan to somehow compensate them since your autogratuities will go to the new team.

When I was able to switch tables (same rotation, same time...just moved to a single table in the section of a team where almost all the tables in their section had been combined into one large table so it was me and that table) on the third night of a cruise on the Fantasy (first night discovered that I had not been granted my request of a solo table and was at what I term a "solo dump" where I had nothing in common with the others there (the opposite really) and night 2 I'd been in Palo) - the first 2 nights my auto-gratuity went to the team I was initially assigned to and the remaining 5 to my new team. So if you are able to make a permanent change, it should be pro-rated to the respective teams.

We were able to do this on our last cruise. We wanted to try out late dining, but after one night it was clear that it was not for us. Our head server was able to work some magic and we were switched to early dining the rest of the cruise. The ship was pretty full so i know we were really lucky they could make it work. As a bonus, we liked the service team we were switched to MUCH better.

If I recall correctly, they broke out gratuities for both teams, so there were two names under each role. It was a little complicated because I wanted to add extra tip for just the second team so it took some doing because at first I could only add extra tip for "Dining Room Server", for example, and it would have been spread across both "Dining Room Servers" rather than just the second. Guest services made it work though.

It was a little complicated because I wanted to add extra tip for just the second team so it took some doing because at first I could only add extra tip for "Dining Room Server", for example, and it would have been spread across both "Dining Room Servers" rather than just the second. Guest services made it work though.
I opt for extra beyond the auto as cash, so in that case you can just get an envelope and give it to them.

Yes, Disney can still make dining room changes after the first night. No guarantees, but going from early to late is usually no problem, since most people on board want early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter