Swimming in November

AngieS1

Earning My Ears
Is swimming at the hotel a possibility in mid November? Should I nix considering the pool area as I decide where we're going to stay?

Swimming is totally possible in November! It can be hot and sunny for Thanksgiving. No guarantees, but keep checking the weather forecast for DLR, starting about 7-10 days out from your trip dates. Even with cooler weather (60's F*?), you could always use the hot tub!

Is swimming at the hotel a possibility in mid November? Should I nix considering the pool area as I decide where we're going to stay?
It depends. Last year it was mid 80s when we went the week before Thanksgiving. During the day it was definitely hot enough to swim in a pool, but after the sun went down it quickly got cooler, so you'd only have a short few hours of pool time. I'm headed down there in less than a week so I'm keeping my eyes on the forecast, but it seems like temps will be in the low 80s to high/mid 70s. Not sure if that's comfy enough.

It depends... but it seems like temps will be in the low 80s to high/mid 70s. Not sure if that's comfy enough.
I think it depends on where the OP is from. We've seen families in the hotel pool pretty late at night when we thought it was too cold to swim or even be in the hot tub. Turns out those families were from northern Canada or the northern midwest -- so they thought our "chilly" weather was perfect for nighttime swimming!

I think it depends on where the OP is from. We've seen families in the hotel pool pretty late at night when we thought it was too cold to swim or even be in the hot tub. Turns out those families were from northern Canada or the northern midwest -- so they thought our "chilly" weather was perfect for nighttime swimming!
Hahah, yeah, true. I live in the PNW so I'm used to colder weather. I'm from California, though, so I'm not a fan of swimming in cold weather even though I prefer cold weather.

If the pools are heated at the hotels you’re considering, swimming in November is totally possible, especially around 1-4pm. Anaheim can and will get highs in the 80s in November. Just bring robes for when everyone is finished.... we ran into lots of swimmers at the Disneyland Hotel in October and they all said getting out is pretty chilly.

We are native Texans and don’t swim if it’s below 80 degrees!!!!! 🤪

I wholeheartedly agree with this. We've lived in Canada and Utah, and last time we went in February, we all swam in the outdoor pool. It seemed quite balmy to us!

I would however avoid the beach. You definitely need the heated pool, it's just too chilly to be in the already freezing Pacific!

We went swimming in the Paradise Pier pool yesterday! At around 1:30 pm, it was hot enough that the pool felt great (although it was a bit chilly up at the top of the water slide). We’re also from the PNW, so not too fazed by slightly colder weather, but I don’t like swimming when it isn’t hot out and this was totally fine.

One other thing about SoCal in the autumn: although it's often warm or, indeed, hot in the afternoons, mornings and evenings can still be cold.

I would say where the OP is coming from is the biggest decider, but will mention the Santa Ana winds, too. We ended up changing a planned park day to a beach day because of the mid-90s heat brought on by the winds during our November stay. We felt like we were roasting in the dry, hot air. The Pacific was just fine.

Thanksgiving 2018 our 6-11 year old boys deemed it too cold to swim. We are from PNW, but all of us were quite comfortable in long sleeves and pants the majority of the time. The day the kids tried swimming was Thanksgiving day around 1 or so. I think it was about 70* F.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter