• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sweet Potatos: With or With out Marshmallow Topping?

Does no one else just dice them up and roast them (olive oil, salt, pepper, and sometimes herbs)? Crispy and delicious.

We also do this with beets, rainbow carrots, and brussels sprouts. It is always the first thing to go (and something we now make throughout the year).

We do this with butternut squash in place of sweet potatoes and have for years now. Same with the others, although beets and rainbow carrots aren't always in holiday rotation. Our family does a dish with parsnips, turnips, and leeks as well that's largely just a spin on roasting.

Either. But we eat sweet potatoes year round, with pork chops or ham.

We eat them without. But we all also like them with.

The family isn't a fan of squash, so no changing sweet potatoes out for squash.

I always thought I hated sweet potatoes because the only way I ever had them was with sweet stuff like marshmallows. About a year or two ago I tried sweet potato fries and loved them, now I eat sweet potatoes about once a week, usually just roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper and maybe some cayenne. Probably my favorite side dish at the moment! I also sometimes bake a couple at the beginning of the week, half them and bring them to work for lunch. I just eat them with salt and pepper.

Does no one else just dice them up and roast them (olive oil, salt, pepper, and sometimes herbs)? Crispy and delicious.

I do that for a regular meal, but for Thanksgiving they have to be baked whole so that dh can have his with butter and cinnamon.
My family really doesn't like when I deviate from the Thanksgiving food we have always had.

During most of the year, we eat them baked with just a bit of butter & salt.

For the holidays I make a sweet potato casserole with crushed pineapple, covered in marshmallows. I used to add Pecans but my son is allergic so more crunch toppings.

We also do this with beets, rainbow carrots, and brussels sprouts. It is always the first thing to go (and something we now make throughout the year).

What's the sweet part?

One Thanksgiving I made a recipe where you reduced apple cider into a syrup and then drizzled that over the roasted sweet potatoes right before serving. It was good, not too sweet.

The recipe calls for olive oil, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger - all in very small amounts to lightly coat the cubed sweet potatoes. Then you sprinkle sea salt over all and roast.

The recipe calls for olive oil, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger - all in very small amounts to lightly coat the cubed sweet potatoes. Then you sprinkle sea salt over all and roast.

Yum. I will have to try that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter