Swear Words That Aren’t Swear Words

I am proficient in all the colorful words and make little attempt to censor myself because I like to say what I mean. Even in front of my kids, I hardly censor myself, preferring to teach them the difference between everyday words and “adult words.” That has always worked well for us. However, several months ago my three-year-old started saying “Oh my Jesus!” Not quite “adult words,” but also not really appropriate for a kid his age. I knew he hadn’t picked that up from me, yet my husband tried to claim it hadn’t come from him, either. A few days after this conversation, my husband tried standing up from his seat, grabbed his back, and sputtered, “Oh my Jesus!” :laughing: Mystery solved. In an effort to not corrupt young minds, my husband changed it to “all my cheeses” and now that’s what my three-year-old says.

I am proficient in all the colorful words and make little attempt to censor myself because I like to say what I mean. Even in front of my kids, I hardly censor myself, preferring to teach them the difference between everyday words and “adult words.” That has always worked well for us. However, several months ago my three-year-old started saying “Oh my Jesus!” Not quite “adult words,” but also not really appropriate for a kid his age. I knew he hadn’t picked that up from me, yet my husband tried to claim it hadn’t come from him, either. A few days after this conversation, my husband tried standing up from his seat, grabbed his back, and sputtered, “Oh my Jesus!” :laughing: Mystery solved. In an effort to not corrupt young minds, my husband changed it to “all my cheeses” and now that’s what my three-year-old says.
You are truly an awesome parent!! This made me smile

The only swear word I won't say starts with a F. I say firetruck instead. I'm the daughter of a WWII Navy man so he could get very creative with his cussing. Mama picked it up and the things that would come out of that woman's mouth would make even Daddy blush. Another word I won't say isn't really a swear word, I don't say shut up, instead I say hush or be quiet. Shut up just sounds rude and crude to me, I'm sure it's the southern belle in me, oddly even cussing Mama didn't say shut up.
When I was in the 7th grade, if any of us in the class said shut up and our teacher heard us, then we had to write 50 nicer ways we could have said that :)

I've used quite a few already mentioned. I have always had a potty mouth. I reigned it in when my kids were little and I ran a daycare. Fudge-ripple is a variation I used a lot. I also used Crackers.
Now, I tend to just speak my mind. lol.

I used to "cuss like a sailor" until we had our first child. Then I thought it would be a bad habit that I could slip into when around her, so I basically gave it up. There was one time at home I was trying to fix something and ran a knife across the palm of my hand. Fortunately didn't need stitches, but there was a lot of blood and it HURT. Still didn't cuss. ;) Used a lot of words like are found in this thread through. :)

My dear grandma would have never allowed a swear word to leave her mouth. When she was upset, she would say Sugar Tit. It sounds bad, but it actually was a concoction made to pacify a baby back in my grandma's day.
The worst thing I ever say is Oy Vey or Aye Becky. I have no idea where the latter came from and I do not know who Becky is.

My grandmother used to call people a "strapper" as an insult a lot. She could curse inventively and colorfully and often did, but she was the only person I ever knew that used this word.

I have a colorful language. The only word I don't use is see you next Tuesday, just don't like it.

I was very conscious when dd was little to not swear. Now that she is a teenager, yeah some lighter words have seeped through the cracks. Until a few weeks back. 😲 I was beyond frustrated and the bomb slipped. Oops! What made it all the better for her was when she answered the phone a few hours later, and dh was on the line. He thought I answered not dd, and the bomb was dropped again. She found it absolutely hysterical and got such a kick out of both parents bombing within a few hours of each other. Oh well, we are human at the end of the day. And really, it is just a word.

I am not naive enough to think dd doesn't swear. My caveat to her is to be mindful and to keep it to when you are with friends. Of all the things she could be doing ... swearing isn't a concern of mine.

My grandmother used to call people a "strapper" as an insult a lot. She could curse inventively and colorfully and often did, but she was the only person I ever knew that used this word.
Your post reminded me of something about mu grandmother: she was a very religious woman. But she would tune in to watch Dallas. She would call JR a rascal lol. That was living in the edge for her.

The worst thing I ever say is Oy Vey or Aye Becky. I have no idea where the latter came from and I do not know who Becky is.
I like to randomly call my dd or dgd Becky as in OMG Becky . Then dgd 8 is like that’s not my name then I break out in the that’s not my name song lol.

So one day in 8th grade, I was trying to open my locker, not realizing that I was one locker away from my actual locker. Couldn't open it, dropped my clay something or other from art, and yelled out "Stoobie!" (Rhymes with ruby??) I may have used it for a little while, but it was mostly a one time thing. And yes, I got weird looks. LOL

I try not to curse, but sometimes "wanker" will slip out when I'm driving.
Are you an Aussie per chance? I’ve found in the past most people overseas didn’t know that term. It is used quite a lot in our household 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter