Swan or Dolphin with kids?

NYMom

Mouseketeer
I booked the Swan for 7-28 thru 8/4 using the nurse discount.
We will be traveling with our DS ages 9 & 5.
What interested us in the Swan were the Queen size beds and the smaller size of the hotel (less walking?).
My question, after reading the boards are
1)was the Swan more or less convienent than the Dolphin?
2)did you find that you were constantly going over to the Dolphin for kid related things 3)did the kids enjoy the Swan or did they prefer the Dolphin?
4)how would you rate the kid-friendliness of the staff at each? 5)does the Dolphin have the same comfy beds ?
Any info is appreciated ! TIA

Personally I prefer the Dolphin. My girls are now 6 & 8 and we have stayed at the Dolphin many times in the past 2 years and the Swan only once. I have a family trip booked for Feb and a trip with just the girls (no dh) booked for April - both at the Dolphin.

We found the rooms comparable and to tell the truth I can't tell the difference in the beds although the Swan says its queen and the Dolphins claim to be double. They seemed exactly the same to dh and I, YMMV.

The dolphin is bigger but that dosen't necessarily mean more walking, depends on where your room is located. Actually the best views have the longest walks - a trade we are willing to make!!

Having the soda-fountain that serves burgers etc (sorry can't remember the name) and Tubbies in the same hotel was a lifesaver for us. We could pick up something on the way back to the parks or on the way out - can't do that at the Swan.

I travel alone with the girls often as DH has a difficult vacation schedule and managing at the Dolphin with the kids was wonderful. We love the pool and the location as well as the service. The girls have stayed at the kids club once and rated it good but they prefer the one at BC/YC - which is convenient to Dolphin.

If you have more specific questions I would be more than happy to respond. Have a great trip wherever you decide to stay.
TJ

You may also want to pose this question on the Resorts Board. Lots of posters have stayed at both resorts as well as the WDW properties.

TJ

go for the dolphin -

we had the gov't rate and booked the swan because my cousin had been there and said that it was good so we thought with this rate we should go for it - well - we spent only one night there and had to get out -

the swan doesn't have vending machines on the floors - the soda's in the minibar were outragiously priced - and with two kids with us the only place to get simple food was to walk them both over to the dolphin - (we really wanted milk but would take soda as a beverage because there was a really dangerous lighting storm & the only way to get to the dolphin was to walk outside under a metal framed canopied path) - we also had problems w/the room (leaking mini-bar - dirty bedspreads - ) and the swan staff was of no help to us -

for us & for our kids who go to be early & don't stay up late for dinner - the swan/dolphin wasn't good - for my cousin it was good because she was with friends & would eat at epcot and didn't need to use the hotel for meals & non-alchoholic beverages

Stay at the Dolphin with kids.
The Dolphin has:
Tubbies (snack place) - only place to use refillable mugs
Dolphin Fountian - 50's casual dining

Closer to the pool.

Has the laundry facilty and game room.

Has the fitness center.

The best coffee bar off the lobby (per my DH coffee addict).

Great views of the MGM and EPCOT fireworks.

Buses never seemed crowded (stops at Dolphin before Swam ?)

The front desk and Starwood desk were VERY helpful.

You can still go to Gullivers for a character dinner at the SWAN (check days)

360 sq foot room with 2 double beds, lots of drawers and closet space,
one sink(large counter area) outside the toilet and bath.

The wall paper and rugs can drive you batty if you hate beach scenes.
But we didn't mind. We loved our room. And we spendt the time chasing our
kids down the hall - while thye raced in front of us to see who could get to the
room first (the kids challenged each other). We really did not notice the walls
or rug - we tried to keep track of our kids down the hall.

Oh did I mention - we are going back - May 2003 :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter