Swan or Dolphin Resorts- Room Differences?

ThomasFamilyTeam

Earning My Ears
Looking for some feedback from Swan & Dolphin experienced visitors, please. We have spent many trips in WDW, but always at a WDW resort. I see that there is a fair discount for teachers/educators at Swan and/or Dolphin hotels that we are considering taking advantage of, but I have some questions as I am not overly knowledgeable about the resorts themselves.

The different room views- looks like there's resort view, no view, deluxe resort view- what do any of these actually mean?
Transportation- I know I've seen buses for Swan & Dolphin resorts and I believe there's even boat services as well, am I right? Anything Disney that Swan/Dolphin do NOT have transportation to?
Pin trading- it's important to the kids and I know that all of the WDW resorts have pin boards and more at the gift shops, etc.; is there anything pin trading happening here?
Tickets- I see that I'll need to purchase my tickets separately which is new for us, so I'm open to recommendations on best/cheapest/reliable source to buy tickets and/or event tickets only?
Food- quick service and table style service options in these hotels or no?

I'm wide open for any other info we may want to consider while we look further into the idea of staying at Swan or Dolphin resorts. Thank you VERY MUCH in advance for any information you can help with!!

Looking for some feedback from Swan & Dolphin experienced visitors, please. We have spent many trips in WDW, but always at a WDW resort. I see that there is a fair discount for teachers/educators at Swan and/or Dolphin hotels that we are considering taking advantage of, but I have some questions as I am not overly knowledgeable about the resorts themselves.

The different room views- looks like there's resort view, no view, deluxe resort view- what do any of these actually mean?
Sorry, I don’t know.
Transportation- I know I've seen buses for Swan & Dolphin resorts and I believe there's even boat services as well, am I right? Anything Disney that Swan/Dolphin do NOT have transportation to?
Swan/Dolphin buses to MK drop off at the TTC, then you must take ferry or monorail to the MK entrance. At other parks they drop off at the charter bus section, which is often just as convenient as the Disney bus station is. Friendship boats serve Swan/Dolphin to go to Epcot and DHS, along with BW and Yacht & Beach.
Pin trading- it's important to the kids and I know that all of the WDW resorts have pin boards and more at the gift shops, etc.; is there anything pin trading happening here?
Can’t help with that.
Tickets- I see that I'll need to purchase my tickets separately which is new for us, so I'm open to recommendations on best/cheapest/reliable source to buy tickets and/or event tickets only?
Undercover Tourist, Boardwalk Ticketing, Tickets at Work - compare prices with Disney’s website. Make sure you’re comparing price including tax!
Swan/Dolphin have some of the best restaurants on property! The Fountain is like Beaches & Cream. Shula’s Steakhouse, il Mulino Italian, bluezoo for seafood, and there are more.
I'm wide open for any other info we may want to consider while we look further into the idea of staying at Swan or Dolphin resorts. Thank you VERY MUCH in advance for any information you can help with!!
Dolphin has double size beds; Swan has queens!

I think you’ll get lots of additional help on the Swan/Dolphin thread here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...eserve-resorts-information-questions.3264274/.

We prefer the Swan over the Dolphin - Swan has queen beds and a much smaller, less confusing lobby.

The "no view" room at Swan actually looks over the porte cochere with a view of DHS - it's a nice view! Our favorite, however, is deluxe resort view with balcony - request a view of Epcot and you may end up with a view of Spaceship Earth and the evening fireworks.

Swan/Dolphin has Friendship Boats to DHS and EP (you can walk to both, as well). They have buses to AK and MK, however the MK bus takes you to TTC and the AK bus back was very difficult for us to find (perhaps they have improved the signage at this point). We usually walk over to BWI or YC and just utilize those buses for AK/MK.

Not sure about pin trading, but both resorts have WDW-owned gift shops in their lobbies, so you can check there.

Food - some of the best on property, IMHO. QS is fine. As far as TS, we love bluezoo, Il Mulino and Kimono's.

I prefer the swan or swan reserve for the bigger beds , but its a lower walk to the beach and friendship boats from the dolphin. The pool at the reserve is more adult if you are looking for that.

We've stayed at both and prefer the Swan. We prefer the Swan for the queen size beds, Dolphin is only full/double and not queen, and we also prefer the Swan since the resort footprint is a lot smaller than the dolphin. There are some hallways at the Dolphin that go on forever just bc of the shape of the hotel. We had a corner room on our last stay which we loved for the additional windows but the walk to the elevator felt like an eternity. We never upgrade our views but I could see if that's important to you to pay for it. We don't have a balcony most times and we're not in our room that much so I take whatever is available or cheapest. No preferred view could be top of buildings, parking lot, etc. Our last view was the lot and the loading docks. Also, there's been some balcony refurb going on, not sure when you're traveling but if it's soon, you may not get a balcony afforded to you.

The buses are mears buses at Swan and Dolphin. They go to all the same places as disney buses except for MK. This bus will not take you to the MK bus depot but drop you instead at TTC. It will add some commute time but it's never a big deal for us. We usually will hop on a BW/YC/BC bus leaving MK and just walk back to our hotel from the disney resort or vice versa. Also, Swan, Dolphin and Swan reserve all share buses given their proximity. Not a big deal since they're all pretty close to one another. The best part of staying at these resorts is the walk/boat to DHS/Epcot and the other epcot area resorts. It's so convenient and makes our stays so much more enjoyable since you only need buses for two parks.

No idea on pin trading, I've not seen it when we've been there but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't do it.

Tix- either direct with Disney, go to a wholesale club or your employer may have some discount deal. There's also undercover tourist too.

Yes, Swan and Dolphin have grab and go and sit down and they have pretty good options. Fuel at the Dolphin is a nice grab and go. The only sit down meal we did last visit was the soda fountain (sort of like a 50s diner for bar food/desserts) and it's decent. There are much nicer establishments that are highly rated we just don't frequent all the time. We like that you have several resorts within walking distance to dine at, that's a nice change of pace.

Between the Swan & Dolphin I would absolutely book the Swan for the following reasons.
‘If you are not getting a King bed then the Swan has Queens where the Dolphins have Doubles.
Also the bathrooms at the Swan have 2 sinks where the Dolphin only has 1. Great for 2 or more people in a room to get ready. I think this alone makes staying at the Swan a no brainer.
‘Food options are better at the Dolphin, but don’t let that be a factor in deciding where to stay, since you can walk over and use there facilities anytime, and it is like a 2 minute walk at most from lobby to lobby.
Transportation is no problem getting to either AK or MK, in fact for MK it seems faster going through security at the Transportation center than at MK itself.
For HS and Epcot you have a boat or can walk.
‘Don’t recall any pin trading at the Swan gift store, which is also kind of small.
Regarding room views honestly they are not worth the extra price if you are trying to save some extra cash for this resort. You do get a balcony and get to see spaceship earth and some of the higher fireworks.
If you can sign in for Tickets At Work there discounts are basically the same as AAA, but they will have discounts throughout the year to save extra on theme park tickets. Very reliable for both Disney at Universal And cheaper than purchasing directly from Disney.

also they give you free bottled water every day, when they clean your room. I was getting 4 per day, nice to bring into the park.

I love the Swolphin and ditto remarks above. I have gotten some upgraded views and wasn’t wowed by them. If view is important this may not be the resort for you. I value reasonable price, clean rooms, convenience to parks (Epcot and HS are super easy), decent QS food, and quiet rooms. I’m there for the parks.

I agree you should hop over to the dedicated thread, there are even pictures of views. I tend to book whichever is less, 9 out 10 times that's dolphin. I only book standard views. I've gotten views of roofs, parking lots, boardwalk or hs. I did get an upgrade to a balcony once or twice. They are tiny at dolphin and have a high railing, OK to sit out on and have a cup of coffee in the morning but nothing like the ones at most deluxe resorts. The food options range from grab and go to their version of quick service to full out expensive sit down restaurants. They don't have a lot of Disney theming if you want that. The rooms are bigger than Disney value or moderate, inside hallways and quick and easy access to hs and epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter