Swan/Dolphin vs Yacht Club

I have stayed at both the Swan and YC this year, I prefer YC because you get more Disney vibe. But, I find it too cold to swim in January So I wouldn’t base the decision on SAB. Beds were comfy at Swan and would stay there again based on budget.

I can get a resort view room at yacht for 508/night and a deluxe resort view w/balcony at Swolphin for 385 (including the resort fee).

Well, since there is no hotel called Swolphin, which hotel is that rate for? YC is our favorite resort, but we planned a last minute trip over Easter & wanted to save some money. We decided to try the Dolphin & were unimpressed. Our room smelled musty & just seemed worn & grungy. The hotel seemed huge & getting to the restaurants & the pool was a little confusing. I have heard the Swan is nicer & the rooms in better shape. So knowing which hotel that quote is from makes a difference.

We recently stayed at the Swan (adding on to a trip, where we had spent several nights at the Beach Club) and I actually though the service at the Swan was much better than at BCV and our room had a much nicer view. It probably helps that I am a high level Marriott elite member, but I love being able to request towels, rollaway bed, etc. all from the app. As others have mentioned, it was far too cold for us to go in the pools on either leg of the trip (though we did see others using them, brrrr).

Saw this thread pop back up and it’s time to change my vote 😝

I had a Lousy stay at YC for 3 nights in Dec followed by an excellent 1 night at Swan. Left a review in the BC/YC thread a few weeks back. I will not be returning to YC for the forceable future but Swan is back in consideration. Apparently they refurbed the rooms recently. (Stayed Swan because I had a Marriott free night to burn and rooms everywhere for that night were stupid expensive.) So, my vote is Swan/Swan Reserve! (Have never stayed Dolphin so no comment)

These threads never change, lol. I’ll chime in, why not.

We’ve stayed at both and we way prefer Dolphin. It’s actually one of DH’s top favorite resorts. YC, not so much, for any of us. In fact, even if we got a super discount at YC, we’d probably still prefer Dolphin. (And we’re from New England, so go figure.) We find the decor at the YC sort of dowdy. And we did not like our room location there at all, way in the back. We’ve always liked our Dolphin room locations, and we’ve stayed there many times. Last time they went out of their way to accommodate our group without us even asking.

We prefer the decor of the Dolphin, and think there are way more amenities there, as well. Location, same. Boats, same. Restaurant options/room service, better. Pools, really nice. Cabana Bar, nice, especially at night. AAA discount at some restaurants, nice. QS breakfast, better. We have not stayed there since the bus change (can someone explain why that happened?) but we’d probably just go to the TTC and take the boat or monorail over to MK, doesn’t sound much more inconvenient than walking over to another resort in the morning and boarding someone else’s bus. The Heavenly beds really are heavenly. One trip I kept falling asleep every time I layed down and I don’t always sleep too well on vacation.

For the resort fee you get two large waters per day (we just paid $20 for two of the same size last month at an off-site resort), use of the health club (including borrowing sports equipment to use such as soccer balls and footballs to toss around on the beach; there used to be a basketball court, not sure if it’s still there), free Wi-Fi, and a news paper (unless that’s changed). Fun swan boats to use. There is a nice Spa there and to this day, DD got one of the nicest haircuts there she’s ever had. Last time we stayed there, friends who own DVC came over for a visit and were highly impressed. The parking fee does annoy me.

OP I know prices have gone up but I’d bet you could do better on that price, especially for January, and especially at the Dolphin. Keep searching. Have you gone on their website and plugged in one of the discounts? As a pp mentioned, you can sometimes find a good deal on Priceline. You also get a free room upgrade if you are a Starwood Preferred Guest, so you can book a lower category.

If you can swing it, I’d say Yacht. We arrive at the Swan next week and are taking my parents back for the first time since I was a kid. I keep thinking of things they will miss out on by staying at the Swan like Magic Bands as the room Key and being able to charge back to the room, refillable mugs, Disney buses etc.

I just think you will feel more in the bubble at Yacht but if you’d rather save the money Swan/Dolphin are really great.

also agree that the pool shouldn’t factor in too much since it will most likely be too cold to use. Maybe a hot tub.

We have not stayed there since the bus change (can someone explain why that happened?) but we’d probably just go to the TTC and take the boat or monorail over to MK, doesn’t sound much more inconvenient than walking over to another resort in the morning and boarding someone else’s bus.
The change to using Mears buses was during Oct. 2020. There have been 2 main rumors as to the reasoning. 1st story is Marriott wanted to save money when their contract was up for renewal since it only impacted 2 Parks (MK, AK).

The 2nd story is that Disney was short on Disney bus drivers and was having trouble managing the extra buses due to COVID 19 spacing recommendations on a per bus basis.

Dave

The change to using Mears buses was during Oct. 2020. There have been 2 main rumors as to the reasoning. 1st story is Marriott wanted to save money when their contract was up for renewal since it only impacted 2 Parks (MK, AK).

The 2nd story is that Disney was short on Disney bus drivers and was having trouble managing the extra buses due to COVID 19 spacing recommendations on a per bus basis.

Dave
Ah! Thanks for answering. We were at the Dolphin in March of 2020 when word came out that the parks were closing down. I think we were among the last guests leaving the resort. (Eerily empty.) I was perplexed about what happened w the buses.

Big fan of the Swan, and we own DVC at the BC, so YC is pretty high on our list too. If you're worried about budget, you can't go wrong at the Swan. I prefer that hotel over the Dolphin simply because it's a bit more intimate.

For the resort fee you get two large waters per day (we just paid $20 for two of the same size last month at an off-site resort), use of the health club (including borrowing sports equipment to use such as soccer balls and footballs to toss around on the beach; there used to be a basketball court, not sure if it’s still there), free Wi-Fi, and a news paper (unless that’s changed).

We stayed at Dolphin for the first time this past Easter. We didn’t get a newspaper & our used water bottles weren’t replaced. Being the holiday, the pools were crowded & the chairs were either occupied or had reserved signs. Maybe things are better at a non crowded time. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Since this thread popped up again, I'll let y'all know what we ended up booking - they had a room (the most basic one - no view) at the Swan Reserve for $300/night with the AAA discount, so ended up going with that. Excited to check out the reserve and feeling good about what we chose! :)

Thanks for the advice everyone; we'll be there in a week and a half

Are the busses from Swan/Dolphin to MK/AK no good?

We’ve stayed at both but only at dolphin for a short Epcot festival too.

Yacht Club is great for feeling totally in the bubble and the pool is very nice but it does get pretty cold in January.

I booked Swan for January after trying to decide the same, and we just stayed at the YC in July.
I took a bus from Dolphin to AK. It was easy peasy. The same bus goes to Swan and SR. Drop off is actually closer than the Disney busses. I drove to MK as was planning to stay late. Main difference is that Swolphin busses drop at TTC so you have to take the monorail or boat and Disney busses are just outside the park. I’ve read of people walking to YC (?) and taking the bus from there.

Since this thread popped up again, I'll let y'all know what we ended up booking - they had a room (the most basic one - no view) at the Swan Reserve for $300/night with the AAA discount, so ended up going with that. Excited to check out the reserve and feeling good about what we chose! :)

Thanks for the advice everyone; we'll be there in a week and a half
I may see you there. I’m hoping for an upgrade as I’m Marriott Platinum this year.

I've honestly never had a bad stay at Swan, Dolphin, BC or YC. They each have their own charm and perks, but its their shared proximity to EP/DHS that most excites us!

I second the Swolphin. It’s just an extra 5 minute walk and a $100 plus savings is dinner out

We’ve stayed at the Swan and at BC, so similar.
Most recently at the Swan for F&W in September.

We really liked being able to walk to EP even tho it was a bit farther of a walk than BC, still doable and convenient.

Our room there was very nice, and we were left 4 bottles of water every day so that was quite a savings.

Since the room didn’t have any Disney decor it seemed slightly less “in the bubble” but if that really matters to someone you can always bring window clings for the windows and mirrors and other decor if you wanted to.

The lobby had the convenience store with all the Disney merch so that helped the lobby feel more Disney.

We didn’t ever go look at the pool but I hear it’s a really nice area, just not SAB.
I wouldn’t hesitate to stay at the Swan again for the price, convenience and “deluxe resort status” for eeh.

We loved our stay at BC as well, but that was for a 2 night stay where we spent all day at SAB before a MNSSHP night, then we had the entire next day as well to enjoy the resort before heading off to UO and HHN.
We also stayed CL so really took the time to enjoy the resort and its amenities so it was worth the extra $$$.

I think if you are going to really spend time at the resort and pool, YC would be nice, but if you are spending more time at the parks and not enjoying the perks of the expensive YC maybe just stay at the Swan.

I know OP said they are staying at the SR and I don’t think you’ll regret the bit of a extra walk for the price savings.

Also, some of the buses we took to the parks from the Swan were very fancy and super comfortable. Very plush and roomy seats.

We’ve stayed at the Swan and at BC, so similar.
Most recently at the Swan for F&W in September.

We really liked being able to walk to EP even tho it was a bit farther of a walk than BC, still doable and convenient.

Our room there was very nice, and we were left 4 bottles of water every day so that was quite a savings.

Since the room didn’t have any Disney decor it seemed slightly less “in the bubble” but if that really matters to someone you can always bring window clings for the windows and mirrors and other decor if you wanted to.

The lobby had the convenience store with all the Disney merch so that helped the lobby feel more Disney.

We didn’t ever go look at the pool but I hear it’s a really nice area, just not SAB.
I wouldn’t hesitate to stay at the Swan again for the price, convenience and “deluxe resort status” for eeh.

We loved our stay at BC as well, but that was for a 2 night stay where we spent all day at SAB before a MNSSHP night, then we had the entire next day as well to enjoy the resort before heading off to UO and HHN.
We also stayed CL so really took the time to enjoy the resort and its amenities so it was worth the extra $$$.

I think if you are going to really spend time at the resort and pool, YC would be nice, but if you are spending more time at the parks and not enjoying the perks of the expensive YC maybe just stay at the Swan.

I know OP said they are staying at the SR and I don’t think you’ll regret the bit of a extra walk for the price savings.

Also, some of the buses we took to the parks from the Swan were very fancy and super comfortable. Very plush and roomy seats.
I agree with all of this (BC/YC makes more sense if you don't use the room solely as a place to crash between spending all day at the park).

Also, in case anybody who hasn't tried to buy water at BC lately is wondering why people are talking about free water, the vending machine down the hall from our BC villa cost about $5 (I think it was $5.75, but not willing to bet my life) for an approximately 16oz bottle of Dasani. I think we spent nearly $30 for 5 people for one evening of water! I do recall thinking "this is even more expensive than the airport."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter