Swan Dolphin ECV on mears

not sure why you quoted me, but yes, the OP’s question was how to get an ECV up and down between the upper lobby level and the lower boat level.

I don’t know if she is active here because I don’t know her user name.
Good article though.

Personally, we are not looking forward to the end of Magical Express. My youngest daughter is a full time wheelchair user. We are not brave enough to bring her power chair - it’s got a lot of features like recline, tilt, raising and standing that make it more fragile than a regular power wheelchair. She brings her manual wheelchair to WDW, which sounds easier, but really isn’t. Without an accessible vehicle, we need to lift her out of her chair into the vehicle, then stow her chair. Magical Express was so nice because she could just stay in her chair. It was often an extra wait, but at least we didn’t have to transfer her.

Before it existed, we rented a van or car, but even that meant trying to figure out how to fit all our luggage and the wheelchair (taken apart). We did use an accessible taxi once to get back to the airport (Bell Services called it for us when the ME bus sent for us was not accessible). That actually worse trying to get all our stuff in than renting a van
Hoping the replacement for ME will have the features that you need to make it accessible for DD! With so many challenges in your trips, it would be one less thing, at least, to worry about.

@KMarston glad you came over here to get some info, I've been surprised no S/D users have shared about how they are getting around with Mears lately. I saw the new story dropped from Kelly Mack about using Mears to get to/from S/D. I was wondering if she was a user here and could enlighten fellow DISers. @SueM in MN do you know if Kelly is active on the forums?
Thank you Steve! What an eye opening article. I had actually considered calling to see if Mears could provide accessible transportation for my family and I to the parks (MK and AK) but after reading that I won’t bother. I have the option of using crutches and renting in those parks but I know I will pay for the wear and tear on my arms and “good/bettter” leg! Thanks again.

not sure why you quoted me, but yes, the OP’s question was how to get an ECV up and down between the upper lobby level and the lower boat level.

I don’t know if she is active here because I don’t know her user name.
Good article though.

Personally, we are not looking forward to the end of Magical Express. My youngest daughter is a full time wheelchair user. We are not brave enough to bring her power chair - it’s got a lot of features like recline, tilt, raising and standing that make it more fragile than a regular power wheelchair. She brings her manual wheelchair to WDW, which sounds easier, but really isn’t. Without an accessible vehicle, we need to lift her out of her chair into the vehicle, then stow her chair. Magical Express was so nice because she could just stay in her chair. It was often an extra wait, but at least we didn’t have to transfer her.

Before it existed, we rented a van or car, but even that meant trying to figure out how to fit all our luggage and the wheelchair (taken apart). We did use an accessible taxi once to get back to the airport (Bell Services called it for us when the ME bus sent for us was not accessible). That actually worse trying to get all our stuff in than renting a van
Oh wow! I don’t blame you one bit for not bringing that chair. I worked for a DME/adaptive technology company in our area years ago and you could buy a small house for what those chairs cost. With the rain and the chance of it being damaged in flight I can see why you would never chance it. I wondered if There was a rental company in Florida for the Braun converted vans. I delivered those to the airport often.

Oh wow! I don’t blame you one bit for not bringing that chair. I worked for a DME/adaptive technology company in our area years ago and you could buy a small house for what those chairs cost. With the rain and the chance of it being damaged in flight I can see why you would never chance it. I wondered if There was a rental company in Florida for the Braun converted vans. I delivered those to the airport often.
yeah, her power wheelchair is in the small house, luxury car price range - LOL
it's possible to rent wheelchair accessible van, but very expensive.
We are driving our own accessible van down for our next trip. We’ve never driven that far, so we’ll see how it goes. We did think of bringing her power chair, but decided against it. She doesn’t have the stamina for driving it an entire WDW day and with luggage, etc. we won’t have room in our van for both power and manual wheelchair.

I can conform that the transportation at the Swan and Dolphin can transport two ECVs. The drivers, however, aren’t as adept as the WDW drivers at getting the chairs on there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter