Swan/Dolphin - Do They Feel Like Disney?

Although we have never stayed at either the Swan or the Dolphin they are on the list of "let's give it a try" hotels. Last winter we stayed at BC ad hated it. The BC and YC host a lot of convention traffic too and at that time the place was crawling with "conventioneers". The vibe was not what we have generally experienced so this next trip (in a month or so) we are heading over to POR; our favorite moderate. Next trip may well be either the Swan or the Dolphin ... I do love those heavenly beds!

We stayed at the Swan last November and thought it was lovely. I guess maybe I don't know what the Disney feel is in a hotel. I mean I don't particularly want Mickey ears over the bed or something. It was gorgeous and clean, the staff were amazing. We could see Epcot from the room and pretty much everyone there seemed to be tourists going to Disney like us. I guess in general it struck me as more adult and elegant than the other resorts we went to--that suited us, but we didn't have kids with us.

Not sure what others mean, but to me “Disney feel” doesn’t necessarily mean Mickey/characters but theming in general. Whatever the theme, they seem to go above and beyond in making you feel like you’re in a different place. That’s what we love about the parks as well— the theming, not the characters and rides.

In that sense, the Swan/Dolphin do not feel “Disney” to me. They are lovely and perfectly comfortable, but they feel like generic “nice” hotels that we could stay at anywhere.

That said, we are still more than happy to stay there for the location and the price. (Being able to wake up and wander over to France for breakfast is a very “Disney” experience...) But if the pricing were the same we would prefer a Disney deluxe.

I love the location of these hotels and how you can usually get them for a lot cheaper than the other Epcot resorts. It's not super Disney themed, but I like how it looks. I like how they don't do the room checks there either. And now that Disney charges for parking the parking fee is much more reasonable at these hotels.

I love the location of these hotels and how you can usually get them for a lot cheaper than the other Epcot resorts. It's not super Disney themed, but I like how it looks. I like how they don't do the room checks there either. And now that Disney charges for parking the parking fee is much more reasonable at these hotels.

I like some of the views at the Dolphin. A lot.

The rooms/hallways/lobby don't include any Disney touches, but their overall proximity to Epcot and HS makes up for it, IMO. Also, there are a few rooms at the Dolphin that have an AMAZING view of Epcot. If you can get a deal, I think it's a great choice. However, I wouldn't pay the same amount for the Swan/Dolphin as you would for Beach/Yacht or Boardwalk.

OP--the answer to your question is no. They do not feel like Disney.

I stayed at the Swan once. It was supposed to have been for 10 days, but I ended up switching to a WDW resort as quickly as I could get a reservation.

Lots of people love the Swan and Dolphin for various reasons--price and location being the two most cited. I would only stay at either if I was attending a conference at one of these hotels. And, btw, the large number of conventiongoers is one of the reasons these hotels don't feel very Disney. That and the complete lack of any kind of theming. I just felt like I was in a pretty nice hotel in Anywheresville, USA, which is not what I'm looking for when I stay at WDW. I want the atmousephere!

We've never stayed at Swan/Dolphin, although we have stayed in the Epcot resort area, and we are now considering it. Does the Swolphin "feel" like Disney? What do you like and don't like about it?
Yes & no. It feels like Disney because of it's location and the whimsical / upscale theme of the resort. The restaurants within the Swan & Dolphin are great too. I think that the daily "resort fee" is different from Disney though. The parking used to be a detractor as well, but now Disney charges for parking. Plus, guests of the WDW Swan & Dolphin aren't able to use the Magical Express. So, it's really just a few little things. All of the staff at the Swan and Dolphin have been every bit as nice & helpful as those that I have experienced at WDW properties.

Jeff
Twitter.com/MouseMadePlace

I've stayed at both and both felt every bit as Disney as any other resort. I've even attended conventions at The Dolphin and while I was not in the meetings it felt very "at Disney".

a lot of disney hotels can have a downside...as mentions the eacht and beach club have business centers att=ched- as doest the contemn and coranodo springs...I even had a trio to the grand floridian blow up because Toyota sent ALL their dealership owners to disney for a customer service class- totally destroyed a nice evening in the lounge and lobby- I had to enjoy my evening cocktail outside over looking Cinderella's Palace where I eaves dropped on Mark Hammill discussing his Star Wars and Fox News Days (ok- that was actually pretty cool)

point is- many of the hotels have convention centers- That said- YES- Dolphin and Swan "feel" different- but still feel AWESOME- love being on vacation there and so does the familyThe architecture is just quirky enough t make it feel special!

I've stayed at the Swan and Dolphin four times, which is enough times to that it is unmistakably Walt Disney World to me. I absolutely feel in the heart of the magic. Staying there is as much "coming home" to me as any Disney-operated hotel. In my room, I hear the gentle horn of the ferry boats passing in front of my window. I look out across the balcony on one side, and I can see the beautiful view of the Yacht Club to the Boardwalk. From another room, there is Epcot, with World Showcase and Spaceship Earth unmistakably right there.

Walk outside and you are in the heart of WDW, steps away from DHS and Epcot. The Boardwalk is at your doorstep on one side, and a lovely sand beach on the other.

The employees are not Disney-paid "cast members." They are very good Sheraton/Westin hotels who meet a Disney standard of service. It is absolutely worth saving a few hundred dollars off Deluxe prices to be occasionally bummed out by spotting a balding conventioneer in a suit.

What does it mean to feel like Disney? The answer varies from person to person, but these hotels are definitely worth your consideration.

Last edited:
I'm surprised they don't paint giant mouse ears at the bottom of the grotto and lap pools, and maybe add mouse ear curtains so everyone would just chill about this topic. But then, I guess they could charge GF prices or even more. :stir:

I'M KIDDING!!!

I have no real dog in the fight here. I just know that Swolphin is all around awesome for what I want: Kimonos, the pools, the beds, and the proximity to DHS/EP, and the price. The Costco pkg deal helps, and I don't really have to worry about booking early.

And oh, yeah, Ample Hills at my backdoor? SOLD!!!!!

I am so glad I've chosen Swolphin over the "value" motels, and the moderates that are close to nothing, but priced similarly. The time involved for travel really adds up to a measurable price, imo, especially if your trip involves a lot of time for Hollyweird and EP.

I'd just suggest to anyone to research what THEY want in a resort if they will be going to DW. I think Swolphin is a very nice balance of high level amenities for the price. I get plenty enough Disney "feels," when I'm there. The better food, pools, proximity, beds, and pricing make me feel even better. I don't give a balls if there are ppl in business attire milling about. I'm having way too much fun with the fam, and guess what? I bet the ppl there for conferences wish they were in our shoes! Granted, I've never been there during a big conference, but that could happen at any of the nicer resorts, as well. On the plus side of it being known as a convention hotel, when it's quiet? It is QUIET!!!! We've mostly had the entire pool complex to ourselves, and it is glorious!

Depends on what Disney feels like. For years we resisted staying there but after the other Epcot resorts got so expensive we gave in and tried them. They are convention hotels but then so are YC, BW and CR. Are they in your face Mickey? No but I don't like in your face Mickey and most of the deluxe resorts don't have that. My only complaint is that there isn't a balcony in every upstairs room, which every deluxe other than BC have at Disney. Otherwise, we love them both. I will say the bathroom in the Dolphin is a tad on the small side, kind of reminds me of a moderate Disney resort but otherwise, we have no complaints.

Any chance the Swolphin is marketing a waived parking fee?

I wish! I particularly enjoy staying at the Dolphin so acwaived parking fee would be icing on the cake.

I consider swan and dolphin basically onsite, maybe erroneously. I was referring to some of the Disney springs type resorts, and others that Mousesavers considers good neighbor hotels or something like that.

Depends on what Disney feels like. For years we resisted staying there but after the other Epcot resorts got so expensive we gave in and tried them. They are convention hotels but then so are YC, BW and CR. Are they in your face Mickey? No but I don't like in your face Mickey and most of the deluxe resorts don't have that. My only complaint is that there isn't a balcony in every upstairs room, which every deluxe other than BC have at Disney. Otherwise, we love them both. I will say the bathroom in the Dolphin is a tad on the small side, kind of reminds me of a moderate Disney resort but otherwise, we have no complaints.

True they don’t all have balconies but a room is a bookable category. That’s what I book.

They do not, they are owned and operated by companies not affiliated with Disney, hence, IMO they do not have the "Disney touch" and are limited on what they are allowed to display since they are not part of Disney.

Although we have never stayed at either the Swan or the Dolphin they are on the list of "let's give it a try" hotels. Last winter we stayed at BC ad hated it. The BC and YC host a lot of convention traffic too and at that time the place was crawling with "conventioneers". The vibe was not what we have generally experienced so this next trip (in a month or so) we are heading over to POR; our favorite moderate. Next trip may well be either the Swan or the Dolphin ... I do love those heavenly beds!
I stayed at Coronado Springs Resort. While I had a great trip, and the resort is beautiful (construction and all), just seeing all those people in their convention tags at breakfast was too much reality for me! And then out with their laptops and networking during session breaks... To each their own but I know what I have to avoid when I'm after that disney bubble (so, no Swan/Dolphin for me, heavenly beds and all)!

The thing I miss is having a true Disney style food court. But I know you don't get that at Disney Deluxe resorts either. To me they don't feel super Disney, but the location makes up for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter