Swan and Dolphin. Wife very hesitant

We are staying there next month. This is going to be our second visit to the the swan/dolphin.

We can't beat 6 nights at $28/night and a total of 44k starwood points. For us its a no brainer to not have the few added benefits of the disney owned properties to get extremely discounted rate.

Personally, if my DH tried this with me, there would be words...and I assure you that the final answer would be no. :rotfl:

Thanks. Car rentals aren't an issue, i'm in the unfortunate position of having to rent cars 40 to 50 times a year. I've got their systems down. We'll just pack a booster seat as carry on and put it in no problem for the 6 year old. It's all going to come down to theming vs dollars. I'll spend some time with my wife doing virtual tour, and checking trip reports with photos on trip advisor to get a feel. Another side benefit is I'd earn mega SPG points or marriot points depending on where the merger is at that point in time.

I just linked my accounts as I am a platinum at Marriott. It was super easy and the status carried over. When I booked it asked about upgrade choices and all the plat perks were stated. I believe it was 3x SPG points for the stay. I am staying for the first time in March.

We loved the Swan/Dolphin resort and didn't have any problems with the non-Disney feel. The beds were awesome, the rooms were spotless, and they have some of the best restaurants in the area. We could walk to HS and Epcot, we could watch Illuminations from our window, the pool was great.

Best of all, they give Teacher Discounts, so it was the same price as a Moderate. I would stay there again in a heartbeat (and I consider myself completely pro-Disney).

I was the same way for years...... thought I'd be missing something by trying the Dolphin..... boy was I wrong. I love Disney,and the 'magical touches' everywhere..... I didn't feel letdown at all by those hotels. I wish I was there right this minute. I still enjoy onsite disney hotels, but I love the Swan/Dolphin.

Thanks. Car rentals aren't an issue, i'm in the unfortunate position of having to rent cars 40 to 50 times a year. I've got their systems down. We'll just pack a booster seat as carry on and put it in no problem for the 6 year old. It's all going to come down to theming vs dollars. I'll spend some time with my wife doing virtual tour, and checking trip reports with photos on trip advisor to get a feel. Another side benefit is I'd earn mega SPG points or marriot points depending on where the merger is at that point in time.
what theming do you want? IDK , but a few stickers up on the wall of a room onsite just don't carry the day for me anymore.... not when for much less $$$ I get a room with a beautiful view, 4-5 pools,multiple hot tubs, views of 2 great parks, access to all the restaurants and fun right in one spot...oh,and the 'real' disney gift shop in the lobby so I can shop just for fun! (But I actually love the other gift shops here more, they're so nice) add to that a 'cheap' onsite cafeteria option for tired people after a long day....(with AAA discount!) and more walking trails than I can utilize..... winner!

what theming do you want? IDK , but a few stickers up on the wall of a room onsite just don't carry the day for me anymore.... not when for much less $$$ I get a room with a beautiful view, 4-5 pools,multiple hot tubs, views of 2 great parks, access to all the restaurants and fun right in one spot...oh,and the 'real' disney gift shop in the lobby so I can shop just for fun! (But I actually love the other gift shops here more, they're so nice) add to that a 'cheap' onsite cafeteria option for tired people after a long day....(with AAA discount!) and more walking trails than I can utilize..... winner!

I have to agree with this especially after our recent stay at the Beach Club - the room had nothing Disney and looked like a standard hotel room. Not even the lampshades or linens had a hint of Disney or the Beach, the only thing I found was the shower curtain had some mickey heads. Add to that issues with magic bands, housekeeping and extra charges (they were eventually fixed).

Um ... the Swan and Dolphin are Boardwalk resorts that are ON SITE but just not owned by Disney. As an aside, @Mousemommy1, have you considered DVC? With 9 trips over 15 years and a baby it might be a good fit.

As they are not owned by Disney, I consider them off site. I just prefer the Disney resorts, but I get what you are saying. :)

That being said, we have discussed DVC but we are lucky enough to get the military discount which works better for us. If the military discount is ever discontinued, we would definitely consider DVC again!

I stayed there for a conference several years ago. I loved the location. It doesn't have the theming, but you can walk over to the Disney resorts to eat and get all the theming you want. I would pick it over a moderate if the price was right. Location always win for me. That goes for anywhere I travel to. I like to be in the heart of the tourist areas.

After the renovation is completed at the Dolphin, maybe all of us Swolphin fans should start keeping quiet, and let the hardcore Disney peeps stay on their side. I'm actually trying to figure out right now if it's even worth it to try and snag free dining if it's offered this year, or just rock the Costco Swan package again.

You forgot to mention one of my favorite things...Cabana Bar!

As they are not owned by Disney, I consider them off site. I just prefer the Disney resorts, but I get what you are saying. :)

It's funny. I used to feel this way when I would be on the bus for BW, or BC and people would get off at the Swan or Dolphin. I wondered why they would stay there...until I did. They are now my first choice resorts. The pool and dining options are great!

I've stayed at several of the "REAL" deluxes, and will be staying at the GF next week for 7 days. There is very little "theming" offered at the GF that isn't offered at the Swolfin. As a matter of fact, when we do F&W, we've made a conscious effort to stay there. Even if we aren't using points, we get a room right smack in the heart of Epcot/DHS for the price of a "REAL" deluxe. Yes, we don't get the DME and a few other things, however, for $130 we get a town car to pick us up at the airport, stop for adult beverages and snacks on the way to the resort, and then so many wonderful restaurants to enjoy, walk to F&W - SHE would kill me if I didn't take advantage of the price difference.

Tom

Reactions: CJN
We weren't big fans of the Swan. We stayed there in April one year when it was very cold, too cold to use the pool. We did walk to Epcot and the boardwalk, and the boat goes to/from the Swan so that was nice. It is a very nice location and the property is nice. But, to be honest, it didn't feel very Disney-ish to me. The room was nothing special (most Disney rooms aren't, but this was less so because it lacked the Disney feel). We did not make use of the restaurants at the Swan/Dolphin, so I can't comment on that. The pool/pool area seemed great but we couldn't use it. I'd rather save the extra money and put it toward a stay at a Disney hotel, but that's just personal preference.

I'm very turned off by a lot of the "themes" at WDW and DL for that matter. I want a really good bed, better bedding, full service pools, and great restaurants and bars. The proximity to Epcot makes the Swolphin my favorite - by a mile. The YC is nice, and the CR will always hold a place in my heart, but in terms of quality of the stay and location, I'd pay more for the Swolphin. But its just different opinions. I hated AKL, it felt overdone and while the WL is beloved by many, for me? No, nope, no way. Getting awesome upgrades for status at the Swolphin? That does it for me. I hope you talked your wife into it and that you guys love it. I'm platinum at SPG and Marriott and the upgrades can be really killer. I once got the suite that's at the top of the dolphin fountain - very cool.

Basically, its a great place to stay and you got a great deal? Enjoy!

I'm personally very unimpressed with the decor at the Swan and Dolphin. As others have said, it's like an 'anywhereville' hotel (the bedrooms), IMO. Last December, I stayed at BC and went to the Swolphin resorts to eat a few times. I was EXTREMELY unimpressed with their service and didn't think the food was that great (and I felt bad, b/c I was the one who insisted my family walk over to the Fountain for dinner one night).

However, if I wanted a hotel within walking distance to Epcot and the DS, I'd find it hard to pass up a hotel that's $1k less than the other boardwalk hotels. Personally, though, I'd likely just pick a Mod if I wanted to save money and take the bus or Uber...I just have a hard time personally giving up the WDW bedroom theming. I love going back to my room at night and hanging out and still feeling the magic. It would be hard going back to a room that felt like a Hilton or Doubletree in any city anywhere.

Last edited:
I'm personally very unimpressed with the decor at the Swan and Dolphin. As others have said, it's like an 'anywhereville' hotel (the bedrooms), IMO. Last December, I stayed at BC and went to the Swolphin resorts to eat a few times. I was EXTREMELY unimpressed with their service and didn't think the food was that great (and I felt bad, b/c I was the one who insisted my family walk over to the Fountain for dinner one night).

However, if I wanted a hotel within walking distance to Epcot and the DS, I'd find it hard to pass up a hotel that's $1k less than the other boardwalk hotels. However, I'd likely just pick a Mod if I wanted to save money and take the bus or Uber...I just have a hard time personally giving up the WDW bedroom theming. I love going back to my room at night and hanging out and still feeling the magic. It would be hard going back to a room that felt like a Hilton or Doubletree in any city anywhere.
This is exactly how I feel. My problem with the moderates is that they don't even give you a decent chair to sit in let alone an option for a balcony. I have done a lot of business traveling and the SD rooms are equivalent but definitely don't add the Disney touch.

Completely a minor issue but when I stay at SD and walk by the YC, the ever present ambient music abruptly ends once you are on SD property. However until the deluxes achieve a reasonable level of pricing, I will continue to stay at SD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter