SW Splendor Arrival Time

pamjb

DIS Veteran
DH and I are doing the SW Splendor Adventure 10/10/09 thru 10/17/09. I am booking our flights to Phoenix. I know we are supposed to arrive before noon. I have free tickets on SW, so I would like to use them, but their earliest flight lands at 11:50 am. Will we be cutting it too close if we chose this flight? Should I book a flight to arrive the night before?

DH and I are doing the SW Splendor Adventure 10/10/09 thru 10/17/09. I am booking our flights to Phoenix. I know we are supposed to arrive before noon. I have free tickets on SW, so I would like to use them, but their earliest flight lands at 11:50 am. Will we be cutting it too close if we chose this flight? Should I book a flight to arrive the night before?
Where are you flying from? Is it a direct flight? How long is it until the next flight out if you miss yours for unforseen reasons?

Personally, I would never cut it that close. I have no idea what they would do if you were seriously late, as the group leaves for Sedona all together. I don't know if they'd have to hold up the whole group, or if you'd have to get your own transport or what. Do they say what time you're actually supposed to be meeting up? Sometimes they say be there by noon for a 2pm meetup...

For myself, I would never arrive the day of the tour. So much goes wrong with airlines these days. I have missed connections, had flights delayed, etc. I had enough trouble getting back to the airport from Scottsdale, I can't imagine how stressed I'd've been flying in that day.

I think you should consider flying in the day before. I would SO agree with using Southwest if you can (best airline out there). And you'd have a chance to relax & acclimate. Just my opinion.

All that said, if you're determined to fly the day of the tour, I'd call ABD and see what they say. As I said, they tend to build a pretty good cushion into their "arrive before/leave after" timeframes.

Sayhello

Just to add my as-yet-untried info here: I've been talking to ABD about meeting at the first stop instead of the airport. They are estimating arriving at Montezuma Castle area around 2 pm.

Assuming they're not building too big a cushion into that, as they have talked about coordinating w/cell phones, etc, then I don't think they are planning on much hanging around the airport after the noon meet up time.

I was leaning towards flying in the night before. Unfortunately, the last flight to PHX on Friday fro PHL is at 4:20 pm on Southwest. I have off from work already, but DH can't miss the day. We were originally going to fly out 2 days early and spend a little time in Vegas, but his work schedule overruled.
Guess we will have to fly one of those "Other" airlines. I am guessing it is highly doubtful that I will be able to fly carry on only and will have to pay for luggage.

I :love: Southwest too.

We did Southwest Splendors in August. ABD booked us on a flight that was supposed to land at 11:50. As the date drew near, the flight changed to landing at 12:05. I called ABD and they said that since they booked the flight for me they would be required to wait for me. They said if we had booked the flight ourselves that would not have been the case. The flight and connection went smoothly and we were in on time. We were not even the last of the group to arrive. We actually left the airport on the motorcoach around 1pm. Just let ABD book it and you will have no worries!

jenbadeaux, the OP says she has vouchers for free flights on Southwest. Not sure if ABD can book that or not... That would be great if they can!

Sayhello

Guess I will be making a call to ABD to see if they can book my airfare with vouchers....Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanx for all your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter