sw and ecv

minniegidget

Can't wait till I can go back to Disney
I will be traveling with 5 adults 2 of the 5 have ecv. Will SW airlines make me take them apart or will they travel whole in the gulley fo the plane?

when you say removeable parts are you talking the seat.? I think the only part that can really be removeable is the seat. Should I remove it and if so what should I do with it.?

If it locks on securely, I wouldn't worry about it. Some wheelchair seats are just fastened with velcro or some wheelchair/ecv users have special seats to decrease pressure; those kind should be removed, if possible.

Southwest really doesn't have room in the plane for wheelchairs so I don't think they could store 2 ECVs there. I believe they will either gate check the ECV or maybe check them at the counter and have you use one of the manual chairs for the airport.

I don't have any experiences with ECVs but I do fly Southwest with a manual chair. When I fly they gate check my chair. I roll the chair onto the plane and transefer myself to the seat in the front row. I make sure that anything removable, like the seat cushion and leg rests, is taken off the chair and stored in the overhead bins. Then they take the chair and place it in the hold below the plane. When we arrive I wait till everyone else is off the plane then they bring the chair up from the hold.

Although we havn't flown SW with our ECV, we have flown Delta on several occasions.

If your ECV can fit upright through the cargo door, AND the batteries are dry cell batteries, you should be able to gate check the ECV.

You drive it to the gate, the handlers will take the ECV and put it in the hold of the plane. If you can walk on the plane, then do so, if not they will put you on the plane in the special aisle wheelchair.

When you arrive at your destination, your ECV will be returned to you right at the gate.

Our experience is with the small 50 or 35 passenger commuter jets, and we have had no troubles with gate checking the ECV. It has fit through the cargo door each time.

I believe SW uses the larger 6 across 737?? jets, and those are much larger, so you should have no difficulties gate checking your ECVs with SW.

If you have to change planes, I would build in at least a two-hour layover, to ensure you have time to get your ECV, drive it to the next gate, then have them reload it.

We try if at all possible to get a direct flight with the ECV.

Carol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter