• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suticase, travel bag, how do YOU pack?

We use this backpack and it's excellent

http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/packs-and-bags/day-packs/parker-pack-v2-light-blue.html

DH usually carries it and it's where we put our bigger camera, water bottles, sunscreen, tripod (which we don't always carry), and any souvenirs we've purchased. Plus we also put ponchos and a change of clothes for DS in to it if we think we might need them. It's also one of our carry-ons for the plane as it has a great compartment for a laptop and/or tablet.

I carry a cross-over handbag and if we're carrying any valuables, that is where they go.

I don't use any kind of packing cubes in my suitcase. I thought about buying some before my last trip, but decided that in my case it was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. I do have mornings where I have to ruffle through all 3 of our suitcases to try and find the clothing item I want, but it's never enough of a deal to compel me to become more organised.

My suitcase patterns aren't very exciting, but they are as follows:
If I am staying 5+ nights at a location, I always unpack my suitcase into drawers. Less than that, I can't be bother packing and repacking, so I live out of the suitcases.
I take one of those cheap dollar store pop-up laundry hampers with me and that's where all the dirty clothes go. I also carry half a dozen plastic bags, for repacking shoes and clothes that are extra dirty.
If we are moving around a lot via plane, I keep a mixture of all of our clothes in each suitcase. I figure that if the airline misplace one of out suitcases, we still all have at least one change of clothes in each of the others.
If we are travelling around by land where our suitcases are always with us, I do the opposite and pack a suitcase each.
If my suitcases are all full before I leave, I realise that I am over-packing and force myself to do a cull. I rarely wear everything I take.
And that's about as exciting as it gets.

By the way, if it's a beach visit, I don't take my day pack. I don't want sand all through it.
For the cruise I took a cheap beach bag that was large enough for 3 towels. I then ended up dumping it on the way home to make room for more shopping.

We use this backpack and it's excellent http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/packs-and-bags/day-packs/parker-pack-v2-light-blue.html DH usually carries it and it's where we put our bigger camera, water bottles, sunscreen, tripod (which we don't always carry), and any souvenirs we've purchased. Plus we also put ponchos and a change of clothes for DS in to it if we think we might need them. It's also one of our carry-ons for the plane as it has a great compartment for a laptop and/or tablet. I carry a cross-over handbag and if we're carrying any valuables, that is where they go. I don't use any kind of packing cubes in my suitcase. I thought about buying some before my last trip, but decided that in my case it was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. I do have mornings where I have to ruffle through all 3 of our suitcases to try and find the clothing item I want, but it's never enough of a deal to compel me to become more organised. My suitcase patterns aren't very exciting, but they are as follows: If I am staying 5+ nights at a location, I always unpack my suitcase into drawers. Less than that, I can't be bother packing and repacking, so I live out of the suitcases. I take one of those cheap dollar store pop-up laundry hampers with me and that's where all the dirty clothes go. I also carry half a dozen plastic bags, for repacking shoes and clothes that are extra dirty. If we are moving around a lot via plane, I keep a mixture of all of our clothes in each suitcase. I figure that if the airline misplace one of out suitcases, we still all have at least one change of clothes in each of the others. If we are travelling around by land where our suitcases are always with us, I do the opposite and pack a suitcase each. If my suitcases are all full before I leave, I realise that I am over-packing and force myself to do a cull. I rarely wear everything I take. And that's about as exciting as it gets.

I really like your packing style:) In the past sometimes when I've been lazy I have decided not to unpack into drawers and live out of the suitcase - never ends well. I always end up with everything jumbled and that way a lot of clothes get unworn. This is for longer trips (I agree if it's only 2/3 nights there is little point).

I also like your beach tote idea, will have a look here at home and see if I have an old bag that might fit the purpose..

I think my new backpack will be part of our carry on luggage set:)

pro%20black%20silver.jpg

I just saw a pic of the Zuca posted on a another forum yesterday. Is it bad that I started drooling?

I live out of my suitcase too. To prevent overpacking, I plan outfits by day. Layer them flat in the suitcase from last day to first day and voila - I can live out of my suitcase easily. REALLY helps for packing light.

I don't use packing cubes now although I may in the future. I bought cheap zipped nylon folders (meant for paper/files) to store underwear. I was given shoe bags so I use that for shoes and socks (LOVE them but they are ridiculously overpriced).

I just saw a pic of the Zuca posted on a another forum yesterday. Is it bad that I started drooling? I live out of my suitcase too. To prevent overpacking, I plan outfits by day. Layer them flat in the suitcase from last day to first day and voila - I can live out of my suitcase easily. REALLY helps for packing light. I don't use packing cubes now although I may in the future. I bought cheap zipped nylon folders (meant for paper/files) to store underwear. I was given shoe bags so I use that for shoes and socks (LOVE them but they are ridiculously overpriced).

I love Zuca, but the price is a bit of a killer!

That's a great idea to layer you clothes by day, I change my mind on what to wear though so I'd be hopeless;) It would definitely curb overpacking too.

Wow I've actually NEVER thought to unpack in a hotel room :rotfl: Even if we're there for a week! In fact, quite the opposite, I always put everything back in my suitcase and lock it whenever we leave the hotel room. The closest I come to unpacking is leaving my toilet bag on the bathroom counter. But even then I keep everything in the bag and keep it zipped up!

I'm so terrible at unpacking. I'm embarrassed to say that there are still a few items in my suitcase from our Asia trip :blush:

I usually only bring a couple of bottoms and a few t-shirts, and alternate them. So it's hard to pack by day for me! But I do always try to keep things that I know I will need on the first night close to the top (ie toilet bag and pyjamas).

I headed into Woolies today and grabbed a Kathmandu voucher because they're 10% off this week, starting today, then used my staff discount and got another 10% off for this week.
Tomorrow i'll head into Kathmandu and grab another couple of double sided packing cells, 2 for $25 at the moment so I can grab 4.

Definitely an addiction :confused3

Hi there,

My kids are international level Ice Skaters and have Zuca bags to carry their skates all over the place, sometimes there are issues with them.
They are not overly light (around 4kg empty)if you need to carry them or lift them and the inner lining is like a Canvas type fabric, so other than the metal surround not overly sturdy, if you can get to an Ice rink you could probably see them in action as a lot of Ice skaters use them.

I would not use one of these bags to travel with even with the seat, it's a bit of a hassle lifting them in and out of the car.

I work in arrivals at Sydney airport so I'm always on the look out for great bags!

Before my last trip I got this day bag for my daughter
http://www.travelonbags.com/anti-theft/urban/anti-theft-urban-tour-bag

And this one for my self
http://www.travelonbags.com/anti-theft/anti-theft-messenger-bag

We found both to be perfect for our whole trip which was 12 days in NYC, 5 Days in LA and 5 days In Disneyland, loved that they both had places for water bottles or that you could zip that part away.

I've never used the packing cells but am going to look into it after reading your comments about how great they are.
On our last trip we only took 1 large case with us and came home with 3 suitcases and a new IceHockey Kit! That will NOT be happening next time :rotfl2:

Wow I've actually NEVER thought to unpack in a hotel room :rotfl: Even if we're there for a week! In fact, quite the opposite, I always put everything back in my suitcase and lock it whenever we leave the hotel room. The closest I come to unpacking is leaving my toilet bag on the bathroom counter. But even then I keep everything in the bag and keep it zipped up!.

I swear by unpacking on longer trips. It's mostly a psychological thing. With clothing away in drawers, and empty suitcases hidden away under beds, the room suddenly becomes so much more spacious and homely.
Plus the time it takes to unpack is more than made up for by how much quicker it is to get ready each day. DH and DS have one or two drawers each and they can clothe themselves without rummaging through bags and asking me where things are (followed by me tidying up said bags and zipping them back up).

Of course all valuables stay in the safe. If someone thinks my old clothes are nice enough to steal, all power to them. :rotfl:

If someone thinks my old clothes are nice enough to steal, all power to them. :rotfl:

I think it's more of a privacy than a security thing for me. I'm sure nobody wants to steal my clothes :lmao:

I would never have thought about putting the suitcases under the bed either :rotfl: With just me and DH we can usually keep the cases fairly out of the way, and because we both pack our own suitcases, we both know where everything is.

Are you ever worried about leaving anything behind?

Are you ever worried about leaving anything behind?

No, but DH and I always do a double check of the room before we leave.

Even if I'm living out of the suitcase, I usually unpack and repack on the last night anyway. I like to know all my breakables are safely cushioned between clothes, and (out of paranoia) I like to know that nothing strange or untoward has found it's way into my suitcase. :)

No, but DH and I always do a double check of the room before we leave.

Even if I'm living out of the suitcase, I usually unpack and repack on the last night anyway. I like to know all my breakables are safely cushioned between clothes, and (out of paranoia) I like to know that nothing strange or untoward has found it's way into my suitcase. :)

I do that too :thumbsup2

If I'm going away for a short period of time, I leave my clothes on the hangers, then hang them up straight away, things don't get crushed and it is simple and easy. This only works if I stay in the same place for a week or so. But it certainly makes life easier.
Otherwise on most of my trips, yep I use packing cubes also, t-shirts in one, good clothes in one, pants in one, underwear in one, and shoes in a couple, it seems to work well. I always take a few old wire coat hangers so I can wash and hang clothes up as well.

Sorry to jump in, but can I ask where do you buy your suitcases from? We are all going to need new ones for our trip next year and are looking at buying a set of 3 for each of us but don't want it to cost a fortune.

carlnlisa - I bought my 4 older kids the medium size Antler Cyberlite suitcases last year. They were very light and have the 4 wheels on the bottom making it extremely easy to maneuver around that even my 3 year old had no problem pushing them around. I bought them from Myer when they had 50% off. My only concern with the 4 wheels on the bottom was that they may get damaged in transit. On our holiday we went on 9 different planes and they are all still intact. So no longer quite so worried.

We bought Antler too. Expensive but so easy to move around.

We only have two cases though between the 4 of us. I'm tempted to buy another but might wait until we get there to see if we need it.

Sorry to jump in, but can I ask where do you buy your suitcases from? We are all going to need new ones for our trip next year and are looking at buying a set of 3 for each of us but don't want it to cost a fortune.

I don't know if you have bags that you can use to go over with and then buy new ones over there. They are so cheap. We bought 2 big duffle bags on wheels from Walmart last year - $25 each.

WearegoingtoAmerica said:
I don't know if you have bags that you can use to go over with and then buy new ones over there. They are so cheap. We bought 2 big duffle bags on wheels from Walmart last year - $25 each.

This is what I would suggest too! You can get really good brands like Samsonite at Ross/Marshall's for really decent prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter