Surviving the Summer Heat in the parks

Sarahbelle341

Mouseketeer
OK I have never been to Universal but we are planning a summer visit and I need tips to beat the heat. Are most of the lines air conditioned? Which lines are brutal in the heat and I need to do first thing in the morning? Which shows and rides are air conditioned? Are the outdoor shows in the shade at least? What about indoor character meets?

I can only comment on some of the line queues. Please, someone correct me if I am wrong.

FJ is half outside/ half inside.
Gringott's is all inside.
Dragon Challenge and Hippogriff are outside (but kind of shaded).
The water rides are all outside.
MIB is inside.
I think Spiderman is all inside.
Despicalbe Me and Shrek is part ouside/ part inside. Same with Simpon's.
The minions met inside, after the ride.
I saw a meet with the Grinch outside.
"Carnival type" rides like the Suess merry-go-round and primevel hurl are outside.
The Cat in the Hat is inside.
ET is inside.

That's all I can remember.

Our family gets ready to deal with the heat in a few ways. First; mentally be ready for it. Don't fight the truth that it will be hot and humid. Once on vacation, we have an understanding that no one complains about it. Thus it is a non-issue.

Second; condition your body for it. This is true. We spend time outside a lot in the summer leading up to a FL vacation. We are in Philly and have plenty of hazy, hot humid days ourselves. Once your body gets acclimated, the AC they use in ride queues can even feel 'too cool'.

Third; mid-day breaks from the parks. Standing in long queues feels worse in the high-crowd, high-heat of midday. Go swimming, or take nap in air conditioned hotel room. Allow your core temp to get back so somewhat normal to handle the rest of the day. Works wonders.

One of my trips to Universal was in the summer (August) - and I thought Universal was a VERY hot park to be in. So - Gringott's wasn't all inside for me - part of it was outside. Minions had a queue inside and outside. ET was inside and outside. Now - part of this is whether or not you have an Express Pass. I would NOT go to Universal in the summer without one.

NORMALLY - I'm in the camp that says take the mid-day break in the middle of the summer. On my trip to Universal - after two days of overheating myself before noon - and not able to go back to the park one day. I'd also consider going to the parks at like 4pm - and planning to stay until close.

Depends if the rides are using the extended queues or not..Gringotts has a huge outdoor queue .Spiderman also has an outdoor portion

I have not done US/IOA in the heat, but we did do Disney in the heat. I was dreading it. We usually do Orlando in Nov/Dec/Jan. And despite living in the southeast, we like our air conditioning and our summer activities involve mainly staying indoors. We did MUCH better than I expected. We didn't need a break mid-day, but did need to leave the parks early. Since I went the first two weeks of Sept, the park hours weren't very late too. The heat index was over 100 some days, and always well over 90. We focused on staying hydrated and that helped quite a bit. Since I went with kids, I used their signs to know when to leave too. I was surprised at how well I handled the heat. The other adult and one of the three kids struggled at times though - so that meant break time - meaning, find somewhere inside to relax for a snack/drink. I think what helped us was that we went when it wasn't crowded. If your summer trip is during a crowded time, then getting express pass is a great tip to help with the heat.

Also, bring some of those little personal fans. We didn't need ours much while walking around but needed them while sitting waiting for shows. It also helped the kids feel like they had some control over the heat. We brought frogg toggs chilly pads too. They're large enough that you can cut them in half length-wise. However, not everyone in our group was willing to use them. I did use one when needed - and dealt with the heat the best of all in our group.

When visiting the parks in August (never again!!!), I did cave and buy one of those mister fans. It was worth every penny.

When there in the heat, I pretty much make a point to dip into every single gift shop just to get a dose of air conditioning, LOL! :-)

I hate the humid heat in the Florida summer. But if I can survive it, anyone can. :-D

I think the issue is more what you are used too. It's really hot here but it gets soooo swampy in July and August in Orlando that we are uncomfortable. We use chilly towels and mini fans to help. Also drink tons of water. Eat lunch inside somewhere to take a break in the hottest part of the day.

Most of the ride queues start off outside and then are inside. Are you staying at one of the three deluxe hotels?

I am fairly certain we will be staying offsite this trip. We are from Kentucky so its hot in the summer here but haven't toured the parks in the summer heat before and I'm certain Flordia is worse than what we are used to. I know Disney has a lot of indoor a/c attractions with minimal waits (ex Country Bears) and some indoor lines (eg Dumbo), and indoor shows (Muppets) and was wondering what Universal had to offer that was similar.

Sarahbelle you will be fine with the heat in Florida. You get the hot humid weather in Kentucky too. The only problem in Florida is the sun is hotter. What really gets people is excessive exposure to the sun and dehydration. It can creep up on you easily. Even well conditioned folks can be susceptible if not careful.

I think compared to WDW Universal has well thought out ride lines to help with inside outside waiting.

Wear plenty of sun screen.

Drink plenty of water.

As noted above have lunch in a nice sit down air conditioned resturant. Hint: Mythos is lovely in IOA.

As snoopboop noted above take strolls through shops for a quick cool off.

If you stay onsite hit the park with your early admission then take a break for a cooling snooze in your room or head to the pool and then back to the parks later.

I would recommend costing out the savings of staying onsite verses not. If you stay at RPR, HRH or PBH you will get early admission as a onsite guest and Express Pass for everyone. I have been to the parks in the summer and there is no way I would do them without EP.

Will add to phillymummer list

Beetle Juice is outside and is shaded.
Mummy inside
Simpsons inside outside
Transformers inside
Animal actors on location outside shaded
Flight of Hippogriff outside
Dueling Dragons outside
Depending on line Hogwarts express inside outside nicely air conditioned inside.
Jurassic Park river adventure outside shaded
Terminater inside show
Horror make up show inside

Have a great time pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter