survey: your favorite camera

Evelyn

Earning My Ears
I hope it is ok to ask this here. After getting some pictures recently developed, I've decided that it is time to get a new camera. My current advantix does not give pictures that are clear, with the colors crisp and correct. So, it is time. My question is, what is a good one. Do you'all like 35mm or the advantix type that can do panoramas? We have a digital but I'm not completely sold on them either. So....... any suggestions.
Any advice anyone can give will be appreciated.

Evelyn: I was in your posistion last spring and was told about this site www.steves-digicams.com. It has a full review of every camera that comes on the market, his opinion of it, price and quality for the money. How old is your digital camera? You can get a very good camera now for $400-$600 that will give you great pictures. The versatility of a digicam is the best advantage. Happy hunting!!!

An APS negative is smaller than a 35 mm negative. In the Photography Industry, the larger the negative the better.

I like 35 mm MUCH better than APS and I'm a photographer. There are some 35 mm that can do panoramics. We like the Pentax (Espio) 135 (38mm-135mm) and it does have a good zoom and panoramic function. It's the one I carry when I don't want to carry my BIG expensive cameras.

This year wil be our first with a digital camera also but we HAVE to have a film camera to keep me happy.

Here are other tips that will help you take better pics.

Here's another few photo tips...
Just thought some people might like this post I had made for another board before I found this AWESOME board...

Hi
If you want a little advice on how to choose film, here is what I tell my customers at my photolab...The darker the condition that you want to take pictures in, the higher the # (ISO) must be on your film.
100 ISO is for bright sunny days( at the beach and during really nice days outdoors and even when skiing because the sun is soooo bright)
200 ISO is a good all around film for somewhat cloudy days and indoors with flash(I use it for most of my family shots inside the house and in most outdoor conditions) It's good for when you use a zoom on nice days.
400 ISO is good for cloudy days/evenings and indoors with flash (I use 400 for wedding receptions and trips to dark places like churches, museums etc...but I always use a flash indoors for this... no flash would give you underexposed pics. 400 is good on rainy days) Very good with a zoom lens on cloudy days.
800 ISO is for really dark conditions and situations where you cannot use a flash
(I use 800 for doing wedding pictures in churches that don't allow flash photography and for fireworks)
The problem with 800 film is that you should not use it on bright sunny days (no matter what Kodak says, it WILL overexpose the pictures)
Don't confuse 800 ISO disposable cameras with the 800 ISO film you can put in your camera, YOU MUST USE A FLASH INDOORS WITH ANY DISPOSABLE OR YOU WON'T GET PICTURES BACK AT ALL. (I have seen many disappointed people at my lab when I tell them their pics didn't turn out)They are great in general but are equiped with a small opening and a plastic lens that does not do well indoors without a flash.
So what film to use when you want to do both indoors and outdoors????
Here is what we do...
I put 200 ISO in my camera and I am in charge of doing all outdoor shots.
Richard puts 400 or 800 in his camera for indoors and he takes all of those shots.
(we will use 800 inside disney attractions where you can't use a flash but while visiting pavilions at Epcot where flash is ok we will use 400(less expensive)
We bring along one disposable to get passers by to take pictures of us... That way we don't have to explain how our camera works to other people and the person taking the pictures feels more comfortable.
We also buy lots of film for weeks before we go on vacation but we buy PROCESSING PRE-PAID FILM... We buy it over several weeks and store it in the fridge until we leave. That way we don't feel the money pinch of buying all our film at once. (we take a ton of pictures)
When we get back we drop off our film right away and since it is pre-paid processing we don't have to save up to pay for the processing and can get our shots back quicker.
Go to a professional photography store with your camera and ask them if 800 will work with your camera with no flash and they will have tons of advice... Every camera is different.
The photos we take on each trip are our most important souvenirs and this is one place I don't skimp on cost... I hope this helped and have tons of fun.
PhotobearSam
P.S. My mom always says for a trip-"always bring half the clothes you were going to and double the $$$ and film you think you will need" She's a genius!!!
P.P.S. Also bring along a waterproof disposable for the pool and water parks…

We use a Canon G2 4 megapixel Digital cam and a compact Nikon Zoom 800 for just quick shots and we use our Nikon F80 for all the rest we are far from being pros but we will spend good money to get good cameras as Disney pics are like your lifetime of memories and you really can't put a price on that IMHO. We also buy both Kodak and Fuji professional film in the Kodak we buy both VC400 and NC400 and I am not sure off the top of my head what we get in the Fuji film. We also shoot around 15 to 20 rolls in a 2 week trip plus usually aboout 3 or 4 waterproof disposable cams for the waterarks and water rides like Kali River and Splash MTN. We love taking pics

I really like the Olympus 140QD. I also LOVE the Pentaz Espio 150. Too bad I had already bought my Olympus before I saw that one. I agree with PhotoBear about the Advantix. I work in a photolab and I never see sharp shots with these cameras. Also the Pentax Espio 150 and 135 give you the option of the 4 x 10 panoramic shots if you really like those.

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I've taken your information and headed out to do some homework. So far, the Pentax is in the lead.

Please keep those comments coming. It is a wonderful help.

Evelyn...I see you are from NS.

Where abouts?

We are moving to Shediac in 1 day and we like going to Halifax for day trips to shop...Maybe this is a start of a DIS meet?

My brother has a digital with memory up to a thousand shots, it is so neat! It is small and compact and he is going to let me take it to WDW next week. I love my old pentax k1000 but it is too heavy and valuable to haul around theme parks.

I have a Kodak Advantix. Actually I have two. I lost one, bought the cheaper version then found the old one in (where else?) my camera bag! LOL!

I have had good shots with the Advantix, buy good film and don't expect award winning shots. I figure it is light and not a big deal if it breaks or whatever. It fits in my fanny pack and that is an advantage.

My bro's digital is small and I will enjoy taking it as well. I like being able to send copies instantly online with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter