Surrogacy for convenience

Sort of. Financial pressure can push people to make decisions against their better judgment sometimes.
I feel like that goes without saying, but that is not what surrogacy itself is about as in the point of surrogacy and the practice of it. Your comment was about what a surrogate's body can go through in the future thus I answered in that vein.

I really dont care, but since I dont want to clean my house, I am giving myself I few seconds to make some thoughts.. My spontaneious reaction is that a healthy woman ( assuming no fertitily issues) who is not willing to committ her body and soul to carrying HER child smells to me of laziness and entitlement.

There have been many actors who have had carried their own kids and have thriving careers.. I have never heard of this actress so I would think career success hangs more on other things vs her not ruining her own body. As somebody who was pregmant 2x. It's a bit over the top to say it affects your body in such a way your body or career can't bounce back.. Mine didnt, but wine and chocolate at night is to blame for my fat butt, not me carrying my kids. And my career took a nose dive, but not because of the few months of full pregnancy and birth but because I choose to go part time while the kids were little and in grade school.

Did she also hire wet nurses and nannies for the first years to take over the night shift? I mean lack of beauty rest will also ruin a career.

I feel for those who want kids and have struggles besides vanity.
You do realize women still die as a result of pregnancy and childbirth, right? A girl from my high school, a healthy professional athlete, died at the age of 26 due to pregnancy complications during her second trimester. A close friend of mine was placed on disability for the last part of her pregnancy because of the immense toll pregnancy had taken on her body. She was in constant pain. There are endless complications that can occur during pregnancy and childbirth that can have lasting impact on one’s physical or mental health. It’s awfully narrow-minded of you to say, “It's a bit over the top to say it affects your body in such a way your body or career can't bounce back” simply because that wasn’t your experience. Although, in the next breath you confess that your body never was the same after pregnancy so it’s a bit of a mixed message. At least you’re only dealing with excess weight — many women struggle with much more serious issues.
Oh please. That has nothing to do with it. I’m sensitive to the issue that for many women they have struggles where they cannot have their own children biologically. Some make the choice to adopt or go through IVF surrogacy. Nothing wrong with that And their worth is not less. I have friends who choose not to have kids and their worth is not less than a woman who has kids.

I stand by my opinion that this is vanity and entitlement. She wants babies but doesn’t wanna go through the work of having babies. She’s in for a rude awakening because to be honest pregnancy is easy part and it’s over rather quickly. She has twins So I hope she has a night nanny so she can get her beauty rest

since you bring up the question of uturises does anyone ask the question what puts a woman in a financial situation that would have her willingly sell her body for nine months to carry another woman’s child for money.
“She wants babies but doesn’t wanna go through the work of having babies.”

You realize the same could be said about people who choose to adopt? I wouldn’t agree with that sentiment, but that’s the territory you’re in when you make that statement.

“She’s in for a rude awakening because to be honest pregnancy is easy part and it’s over rather quickly.”

Again, you’re applying your experience to everyone else. In my experience, babies are the easy part and pregnancy is what messed me up and is what I would love to never have to go through again. Try looking outside of yourself sometimes to understand other peoples perspectives.

M

Egg retrieval is no picnic! It's a serious medical procedure with real complications.
Oh I know, that’s why it pays well. When you are facing a 6 figure college debt (DPT programs start at around $100,000 without housing), you might need to be creative. I’ve also suggested dancing, she wasn’t sold on that either.

I will NEVER get the pregnancy is the easy part.

I had hyper emesis with all of my pregnancies and was pre eclamptic with my first. I had morning sickness for so long with my 3rd that I literally popped a vertebrae out of place (it still is and still causes me issues). I know have Hashimotos (which can be triggered by many factors, pregnancy being one) and will be on thyroid medication for the rest of my life.

Once the babies were born, I had DH. Now that our oldest DD is almost 14 and entering her teen attitude years, I have DH.

He could empathize with the toll pregnancy took on my body. But he couldn't do anything about it. Once the babies were born, he could do night time feedings. He could care for them while I got a shower. He could make dinner while I napped or nursed. He could take some of the burden. But now while they were growing. Pregnancy was definitely the hard part for me.

Um, ok, if you say so. No need to sigh, really.
That was because I felt like I wasn't presenting it like I was ignoring that, that's a goes without saying thing. Clearly people do all sorts of things for money, it doesn't make it the intent of it by the virtue of it. Enjoy your day.

Why not have a night nanny for rest? Over and over we hear of lack of sleep for new mothers.

Friends and I have gone in together an gotten a night nanny for new moms for the first few weeks - and have received feedback that it was the best gift they got.
Because it’s only okay to use the unpaid labor of your mom, sister, or MIL to help with the baby. If you can afford to pay someone who’s CPR certified, then we’ll look down our noses at you. :rolleyes2

Last edited:
That was because I felt like I wasn't presenting it like I was ignoring that, that's a goes without saying thing. Clearly people do all sorts of things for money, it doesn't make it the intent of it by the virtue of it. Enjoy your day.
Idk. Perhaps it started out that way, I don’t really know for sure, I’d have to research it. But I wouldn’t doubt that if there are different “groups” that work with surrogacy, that some are them are in it more for the money than the altruism. I apologize if I am misunderstanding what you’re saying, but that’s what my sense of it is. Just like people that deal in human trafficking - they couldn’t care less that it’s hurting people, they’re just in it for what they can get out of it. (*And not saying that surrogacy hurts people.)

ETA First glance:

The first successful gestational surrogacy took place in 1985, in which a gestational surrogate carried a child genetically unrelated to her on behalf of the Intended Parents. The Intended Mother's fallopian tubes had been damaged by a childhood disease. (Italics mine.)

Last edited:
Just because it’s interesting (now that I’m off to research) from worldwidesurrogacy.org:

Early Traditional Surrogacy Journeys

In 1980, a traditional surrogate was paid $10,000 for her services. The surrogate was already a mother and had given up a child for adoption before agreeing to the surrogacy. After the surrogacy was completed, the surrogate regretted her decision and became an advocate against surrogacy.

Later in 1984, a couple contracted a woman to be their traditional surrogate. After the birth, the surrogate/biological mother decided she could not part with the child and the case went to court. The court determined this surrogacy agreement was illegal and granted custody to the biological father while giving visitation rights to the surrogate. The Intended Mother was never able to adopt the child. This case became known as "Baby M," and helped shape future surrogacies and surrogacy law.

I think she has overestimated her career.
Lol. Exactly.

Also, she thinks being pregnant would have been "putting her life on hold for 2 plus years", (which doesn't make sense to me). What does she plan to do with these babies now that they are here if she thinks being pregnant would take up 2 years of her life?

None of my business, but she needed the attention and made it everyone's business. So I feel free to comment.

Buzzfeed looks like another of those publications that focus on what various celebrities say or do. Not of interest to me. I don't obsess over celebrities and their lifestyles like some other people apparently do. No idea who she is.
I go to Buzzfeed for the fun and crazy quizzes such as:

Eat Some Chocolate Treats And We'll Tell You Which Disney Villain You Truly Embody.

My kids and I like to do them together for fun.
Because of this. Because of this whole conversation. No matter what women choose, people feel like they are entitled to pick it apart, criticism and condemn.
Had one child? "Don't you think that's selfish to not give your child a companion?"

You may ask WHY she needed an excuse - because we ALWAYS do. Everyone thinks they're entitled to tell a woman exactly when, how and why they should have children.
I got so tired of people asking if I was going to have a second, that my response became: "Are you volunteering to come over and change their diapers?" People shut up after that.
All of this. In 2022 a womans worth in society is still measured by her uterus and what she does with it.

Also @MamaBelle4 you forgot to add in all the women in their 20's, 30's and 40's who have health issues, know they don't want to get pregnant and want their uterus removed but are refused surgery because they might change their mind. So many women suffer unnecessarily due to society's expectations that they have to get pregnant.
A friend of mine's father committed suicide because improperly treated bipolar disorder. She has really bad bipolar disorder which is still a problem even with medicine and therapy. She had a lot of trouble finding a doctor who would remove her uterus even though it would be unsafe for her to get pregnant. She would have to go off of her medicine during pregnancy. She was also afraid of passing the gene down to a child. She was a good person but would be a bad mother because of her mood swings.
I stand by my opinion that this is vanity and entitlement. She wants babies but doesn’t wanna go through the work of having babies. She’s in for a rude awakening because to be honest pregnancy is easy part and it’s over rather quickly. She has twins So I hope she has a night nanny so she can get her beauty rest
During my first pregnancy, I couldn't work because the pregnancy took such a toll on my body. I puked every day of my pregnancy. My second newborn was so big that my OB told me I needed to get part-time child care so I could heal from my emergency C-section. He was afraid I would injure myself or break open my incision carrying around such a heavy baby. He was 10.4 lbs at birth. Newborn babies were easier than that.
Why not have a night nanny for rest? Over and over we hear of lack of sleep for new mothers.

Friends and I have gone in together an gotten a night nanny for new moms for the first few weeks - and have received feedback that it was the best gift they got.
That advice assumes someone can afford a night nurse. If you're nursing then you need to get up at night to either nurse or breastfeed. If you don't you might have a great deal of pain or health issues.

The more I parent, the less I judge other parents' choices unless they cause physical, mental and/or emotional harm.

I will NEVER get the pregnancy is the easy part.

I had hyper emesis with all of my pregnancies and was pre eclamptic with my first. I had morning sickness for so long with my 3rd that I literally popped a vertebrae out of place (it still is and still causes me issues). I know have Hashimotos (which can be triggered by many factors, pregnancy being one) and will be on thyroid medication for the rest of my life.

Once the babies were born, I had DH. Now that our oldest DD is almost 14 and entering her teen attitude years, I have DH.

He could empathize with the toll pregnancy took on my body. But he couldn't do anything about it. Once the babies were born, he could do night time feedings. He could care for them while I got a shower. He could make dinner while I napped or nursed. He could take some of the burden. But now while they were growing. Pregnancy was definitely the hard part for me.
Hyperemesis is horrible. Amazes me that women who have that once ever choose to get pregnant again... but they do.

But for most people... pregnancy is the easy part.

I feel like that goes without saying, but that is not what surrogacy itself is about as in the point of surrogacy and the practice of it. Your comment was about what a surrogate's body can go through in the future thus I answered in that vein.
I guess I view it not identical to, but similar to the selling of organs. There's a reason selling organs isn't allowed. It ends up being very exploitative of the poor. I don't like envisioning a world where this is a widely used practice. I get it. It will only be a tool of the wealthy. And I don't like that either.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I loved being pregnant and am glad I had that life experience. I looked good and felt good while I was pregnant. Oh, sure, I had bad moments -- but they pale in comparison to feeling the baby move, etc.

And, yes, being pregnant was way easier than having a newborn.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I loved being pregnant and am glad I had that life experience. I looked good and felt good while I was pregnant. Oh, sure, I had bad moments -- but they pale in comparison to feeling the baby move, etc.

And, yes, being pregnant was way easier than having a newborn.
You were very fortunate. Many women have difficult and /or dangerous pregnancies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter