Surprising Teenagers with a Disney Trip!

PolkaDotMomma

Earning My Ears
My husband and I have been keeping our Disney Trip a secret since January of 2013. (Do you know how hard that has been?) We leave on the 22nd of November. I have been racking my brain with how to surprise my kids. They are 12 and 15 (both boys) and most of what I have found on the internet is for younger kids. I need help on how to surprise them. Any suggestions help advice would be greatly appreciated!

My husband and I have been keeping our Disney Trip a secret since January of 2013. (Do you know how hard that has been?) We leave on the 22nd of November. I have been racking my brain with how to surprise my kids. They are 12 and 15 (both boys) and most of what I have found on the internet is for younger kids. I need help on how to surprise them. Any suggestions help advice would be greatly appreciated!

:welcome: to the DIS! :cool2:

Wow, it must have been hard to keep the surprise for that long for kids of that age! Way to go!

I tend to think that for teens, low-key is the way to go. When they're little, a big production is fun because they totally don't see what's coming. By the time they get to be 9 or 10, they figure it out too soon. :rotfl: Plus, teens just don't seem to act too excited about much of anything; they think it's not "cool." :snooty:

-If you're leaving early in the morning, you could go in and wake them up, whispering, "Hey! Time to get up! We're going to Disney World," then walk out and see if it registers.

-You could do the pick-them-up-at-school-unexpectedly trick and pile them in the car, already loaded and ready to go and hand them a Mickey shirt to put on.

Have fun, whatever you decide!

A Disney gift card for each of them would be nice, then tell them that they are going to WDW to be able to use it ::yes::

My boys are 8, 12 & 14. We're planning a trip in Feb 2014. We'll tell them a couple of weeks before. They generally don't do well with surprises and for us, part of the fun is the planning, excitement and anticipation. For our previous trips, we did a scavenger hunt with them. I think they'll know something is up if we do that again. So, we're planning to do a geo cache with some amazing race type challenges. At the end, we have a photo book from Shutterfly and I'm thinking about making a puzzle that they can assemble to announce the trip. Some of the ideas are from another message board, I can't take credit for them. Anyway, have fun surprising them!

We are surprising our kids, too, and we leave in 5 days! (Nov. 14th) I thought this week would never come, and not it is here!

My kids are DS13, DD9, and DS7 1/2. I bought gift bags for each of them, which will include:

$50 Disney Gift card
plane boarding pass
granola bar
goldfish crackers
slim jim
glowsticks
gum
Crunch bar
rasins/peanuts (depends on which kid likes what snack)
Invisible Ink book

We also have their magic bands, but we like how all 5 of them look in the box together, so we will present them altogether instead of putting one in each bag.

So, my kids have absolutely NO clue we are going anywhere. We have been so busy with football and cheerleading season, and I just spent the last week on an out of state business trip, that they haven't even paid attention that I packed our bags and they are waiting in my closet for Thursday! LOL

So, tomorrow DS7 will play his "superbowl" game for our league as his team went undefeated this season. DD will be cheering for the team a level/age higher, who also are playing their "superbowl" game. Hopefully their teams will win and we will be able to catch them saying "I'm going to Disneyworld!" (something we joke about all the time) on video, which we will use to play on the TV Thursday morning. We will wake them up and get them ready like it's a regular school day, then call all of them into the kitchen/living room where we will play their video on the TV and their gift bags will be waiting on the table. They will each have part of a progressive note in their bags to read, which will say "You have earned the Ultimate Crunch Award" (something they have always had as incentive prizes in football) "All three of you worked hard, gave 100% every play every day, in school and on the field" "Your dedication deserves a great reward - you are going to Disney World!"

Then we will tell them to look out the window, and hopefully timed it well, because the last part of their surprise is that we have hired a limo to take us to the airport!

Our flight leaves Chicago Ohare airport at 10am.

I CANNOT WAIT!!!!! :yay:

We are surprising our kids, too, and we leave in 5 days! (Nov. 14th) I thought this week would never come, and not it is here!

My kids are DS13, DD9, and DS7 1/2. I bought gift bags for each of them, which will include:

$50 Disney Gift card
plane boarding pass
granola bar
goldfish crackers
slim jim
glowsticks
gum
Crunch bar
rasins/peanuts (depends on which kid likes what snack)
Invisible Ink book

We also have their magic bands, but we like how all 5 of them look in the box together, so we will present them altogether instead of putting one in each bag.

So, my kids have absolutely NO clue we are going anywhere. We have been so busy with football and cheerleading season, and I just spent the last week on an out of state business trip, that they haven't even paid attention that I packed our bags and they are waiting in my closet for Thursday! LOL

So, tomorrow DS7 will play his "superbowl" game for our league as his team went undefeated this season. DD will be cheering for the team a level/age higher, who also are playing their "superbowl" game. Hopefully their teams will win and we will be able to catch them saying "I'm going to Disneyworld!" (something we joke about all the time) on video, which we will use to play on the TV Thursday morning. We will wake them up and get them ready like it's a regular school day, then call all of them into the kitchen/living room where we will play their video on the TV and their gift bags will be waiting on the table. They will each have part of a progressive note in their bags to read, which will say "You have earned the Ultimate Crunch Award" (something they have always had as incentive prizes in football) "All three of you worked hard, gave 100% every play every day, in school and on the field" "Your dedication deserves a great reward - you are going to Disney World!"

Then we will tell them to look out the window, and hopefully timed it well, because the last part of their surprise is that we have hired a limo to take us to the airport!

Our flight leaves Chicago Ohare airport at 10am.

I CANNOT WAIT!!!!! :yay:

How fun! I hope you'll come back and post a video of the reveal!

Do you at least know when you are going to tell them? My kids are those same ages, and I would definitely want to give them a heads up if they are going to miss school. When we did our surprise in 2009, we did it at 10 days out and they said that was perfect. They could anticipate a little, be prepared at school, and pack for themselves.

In middle school older DD would have freaked out to have to miss school. Now that she's in high school and it's been a lot more low key than she expected, she tells me she can miss a little school. In fact she tells me she is waiting for the day that I take them to the airport instead of to school...

Anyway, our kids were of course younger when we surprised them in 2009 but we had them do a treasure hunt in which they gathered clues and solved a code message at the end.

I am wanting to tell them the day we are leaving. Believe they won't freak out about school LOL! I am going to contact all teachers so they know that they will not be in school. Since it is the week of Thanksgiving they will only be missing 2 days.

Here is what I have come up with so far....
My mom is going to pick them up from school as usual (I have a long commute and not home for about an hour after they are). I will be home early that day and have the car pulled out of the garage with a large sign on the back saying: Keep Calm because We Are Going To Disney! Cheesy???

This way they will have several hours to get together their belongings (ipods, etc) and can help me pack the car while Dad sleeps so we can leave around 9:45 pm.

Thanks for all the great ideas so far....keep them coming that way if I need to change anything I can.

How FUN! We booked back in May and We have been keeping it a secret also- we leave Dec 4- but leaving for airport right after work on the 3rd. (have to drive 3 hrs to airport and we fly out at 5:45am- so we are staying at a hotel right by so we don't miss our plane). But DD Bday is Nov 21st but her Bday party is Nov 23rd- this is when we are telling her- What we are doing is after all her bday presents are unwrapped except the "pink box" one- we will let her open that one and inside is a picture of mickey mouse with one arm in the air (and really excited) I edited to put on the picture "You are Going to Disney" and then I put a lanyard underneath the gift paper with pins attached to it. Then the following week she will be getting mail from Disney with invites to different character dining's which I made ADR's for. She is getting one for : Tusker, 1900 PF for Bfast and dinner, CRT, BOG, Hollywood and Vine with F!, MVMCP, Akershus, CP and Wishes Dessert party. So ready to tell her. It is hard to keep a secret. We will be video recording her Bday party! Plus she has no clue she is going. DD will know 10 days before we go.

However you tell them- have fun with it! I do like the Gift card idea. Then they will have "their own money to spend" and will really like it!

Have fun on your trip!

I hate to be a wet blanket, but there is no way I would surprise my kids when they were that age. They have activities they would want to plan around and at that age they wanted to be involved in planning some of the activities. Good luck!

I couldn't imagine keeping it a secret from my kids! Planning is part of the fun for all of us!!! Plus I have a big mouth haha! No way could I keep it a secret! Good luck with the surprise!

We were at WDW last year for the holidays, and our youngest keeps on asking (begging) to go back. Little does she know we've planned another trip. We are surprising our teens Christmas morning... DD19, DS16, DD14. They will receive a Disney gift card, magic bands and boarding passes. The girls are also receiving Vera Bradley duffel bag with the Disney pattern. We fly out Christmas night. I can't wait for the reveal!

I hate to be a wet blanket, but there is no way I would surprise my kids when they were that age. They have activities they would want to plan around and at that age they wanted to be involved in planning some of the activities. Good luck!

I would think that parents would take activities into consideration when planning the trip....we made sure to plan our Surprise trip after football/cheer season, and before swimming/winter sports.

How fun! I hope you'll come back and post a video of the reveal!

We did it!!!

The morning we left, we woke them up for school like normal. They got ready and were getting their coats and shoes on to leave, and DH told them to all sit on the couch. We decided the night before to use a Sharpie and wrote:

"Who's got it..."
"Better than us?"
"NOBODY!!!!"

on the front side of each of the kids' gift bags, and:

We are...
Going to...
DISNEYWORLD!!!!

on the backsides. DH gave each kid their bag while I filmed, and they read it in order, then we had them turn the bags over and read again in order. They were like "oh wow...cool" and started looking in their bags. Then DH brought out their Magic Bands, and they thought those were neat, and it started to click with DS13. He was like "Wait....are we going right NOW?!" We told him to look in his bag and he pulled out his boarding pass. His eyes got HUGE and he started to laugh and tell the younger kids. It finally dawned on all three, and they jumped up and screamed and yelled and hugged us and were so super excited! :rotfl2:

We then told them that they had 10 minutes to ONE thing they would like to bring that would fit in their bag, and get their shoes on. DS7 chose his stuffed dog, DD chose something (I can't remember), and DS13 grabbed his phone.

The best part was, though, about 15 minutes later, I peeked out the window (the curtains were closed) and saw that the limo had arrived. We told the kids that it was time to go and that the car was out front. DH works for a major rental car corporation in their title acquisition (I'm sure I spelled that totally wrong! LOL) department, so we regularly rent or use company cars, and the kids are always excited to see the latest vehicle he brings home. So, as I videotaped, they ran to the window and opened the curtain and saw a ginormous white stretch limo in front of the house. DS7 was so funny...."A limo??!!" You got us a limo??!!! How did you guys afford that???!!!" They ran out to the limo and jumped right in. It was absolutely perfect!

I would totally recommend surprising kids at least once in their lives. It was the most magical way to start our vacation....it was so fun to have them think back to all of the hints we gave them, and for them to find out that pretty much everybody in their lives knew about the trip, from their babysitter to their teachers...even DS13's spanish tutor (he is in advanced Spanish) and their football/cheer coaches - they got such a kick out of it all.

The only thing I would recommend is making sure you plan it when nothing is going on (like in between sports seasons) and make sure to tell the kids' teachers. We told the younger kids' teachers, but I didn't tell DS13's 8th grade teachers (for various reasons, but #1 being that he has had just about the same teachers the past three years and they have never once replied back when I tell them he will be gone for a few days). Of course this time, I didn't alert them, and DS ended up being in the middle of a partner project that was due the friday we came back (he went back to school on the Wednesday). Other than that, though, all went very well, and most importantly, all three said that they LOVED that we surprised them!

Yay!!pixiedust:

I have to admit, I was a bit nervous for you given the age of your oldest, but, being the smart parent you are, you already thought of doing this trip between sports seasons.

This sounds SO MAGICAL!!!!

I'm surprising my kids in 8 days. They are only 6 though, and no activities going on that they can't miss. The teachers know already, and also know it's a secret.

I started sneak packing yesterday, just the warm weather stuff they won't notice is missing from their storage totes.:cheer2:

We did it!!!

The morning we left, we woke them up for school like normal. They got ready and were getting their coats and shoes on to leave, and DH told them to all sit on the couch. We decided the night before to use a Sharpie and wrote:

"Who's got it..."
"Better than us?"
"NOBODY!!!!"

on the front side of each of the kids' gift bags, and:

We are...
Going to...
DISNEYWORLD!!!!

on the backsides. DH gave each kid their bag while I filmed, and they read it in order, then we had them turn the bags over and read again in order. They were like "oh wow...cool" and started looking in their bags. Then DH brought out their Magic Bands, and they thought those were neat, and it started to click with DS13. He was like "Wait....are we going right NOW?!" We told him to look in his bag and he pulled out his boarding pass. His eyes got HUGE and he started to laugh and tell the younger kids. It finally dawned on all three, and they jumped up and screamed and yelled and hugged us and were so super excited! :rotfl2:

We then told them that they had 10 minutes to ONE thing they would like to bring that would fit in their bag, and get their shoes on. DS7 chose his stuffed dog, DD chose something (I can't remember), and DS13 grabbed his phone.

The best part was, though, about 15 minutes later, I peeked out the window (the curtains were closed) and saw that the limo had arrived. We told the kids that it was time to go and that the car was out front. DH works for a major rental car corporation in their title acquisition (I'm sure I spelled that totally wrong! LOL) department, so we regularly rent or use company cars, and the kids are always excited to see the latest vehicle he brings home. So, as I videotaped, they ran to the window and opened the curtain and saw a ginormous white stretch limo in front of the house. DS7 was so funny...."A limo??!!" You got us a limo??!!! How did you guys afford that???!!!" They ran out to the limo and jumped right in. It was absolutely perfect!

I would totally recommend surprising kids at least once in their lives. It was the most magical way to start our vacation....it was so fun to have them think back to all of the hints we gave them, and for them to find out that pretty much everybody in their lives knew about the trip, from their babysitter to their teachers...even DS13's spanish tutor (he is in advanced Spanish) and their football/cheer coaches - they got such a kick out of it all.

The only thing I would recommend is making sure you plan it when nothing is going on (like in between sports seasons) and make sure to tell the kids' teachers. We told the younger kids' teachers, but I didn't tell DS13's 8th grade teachers (for various reasons, but #1 being that he has had just about the same teachers the past three years and they have never once replied back when I tell them he will be gone for a few days). Of course this time, I didn't alert them, and DS ended up being in the middle of a partner project that was due the friday we came back (he went back to school on the Wednesday). Other than that, though, all went very well, and most importantly, all three said that they LOVED that we surprised them!

Loved the update, I am so glad it all worked out great and you had a wonderful trip!

I had to bump this post, because I think it deserves to be bumped! :)

We just decided that we will be going to DW in Oct for our 6th trip. We've never surprised our 2 kids, now 8 and 9 who have done all 5 trips with us. So to us, its how do we make every trip different?

This year we've decided, painstakingly, to not tell the kids. Our kids will love the surprise, I know they will. They've helped plan every trip thus far, and I dont think we are taking anything away from them by not telling them.

They think that because it's DH and my 10th anniversary that we are going to NYC just he and I, without them. We changed our minds, it won't be the same without a DW trip this year!

Last October, DS would NOT fall asleep, and our flight always departs at 6am... so a 4am wakeup call is necessary (we live very close to our airport) so how do we surprise them so they sleep the night before, and are up in time for the flight? I think we will wake them up the morning of, and tell them to get up and dressed and meet us in the living room. DH is great with computers and will do up a video basically telling them that our 10th year anniversary wouldnt be near as exciting and meaningful without having them near, and that Mom and Dad are going to New York, with them,but only as a stop over on our way to Disney World :cool1:

And at the end of the video say You have 5 mins to get ready because out flight leaves in 2 hours...kind of thing.:goodvibes

That's all I've come up with. They are clever kids, the video can't be too long. They've seen far too many Disney Surprise trip videos on youtube...they youtube them themselves. lol

If anybody has any further input, I'd love it.

I think I will price out a limo ride to the airport as well. They'd freak over that!

I had to bump this post, because I think it deserves to be bumped! :)

We just decided that we will be going to DW in Oct for our 6th trip. We've never surprised our 2 kids, now 8 and 9 who have done all 5 trips with us. So to us, its how do we make every trip different?

This year we've decided, painstakingly, to not tell the kids. Our kids will love the surprise, I know they will. They've helped plan every trip thus far, and I dont think we are taking anything away from them by not telling them.

They think that because it's DH and my 10th anniversary that we are going to NYC just he and I, without them. We changed our minds, it won't be the same without a DW trip this year!

Last October, DS would NOT fall asleep, and our flight always departs at 6am... so a 4am wakeup call is necessary (we live very close to our airport) so how do we surprise them so they sleep the night before, and are up in time for the flight? I think we will wake them up the morning of, and tell them to get up and dressed and meet us in the living room. DH is great with computers and will do up a video basically telling them that our 10th year anniversary wouldnt be near as exciting and meaningful without having them near, and that Mom and Dad are going to New York, with them,but only as a stop over on our way to Disney World :cool1:

And at the end of the video say You have 5 mins to get ready because out flight leaves in 2 hours...kind of thing.:goodvibes

That's all I've come up with. They are clever kids, the video can't be too long. They've seen far too many Disney Surprise trip videos on youtube...they youtube them themselves. lol

If anybody has any further input, I'd love it.

I think I will price out a limo ride to the airport as well. They'd freak over that!

Sounds like they will like a surprise this time around- I like that they have been in on the planning several times already- though the 4 am thing is a bit problematic. If you don't think they will react well being pulled out of bed and surprised at that hour, I would surprise them a few days before with the video. It's close enough that it will be super exciting, but maybe over a few days time, he will be able to relax enough to sleep that night.

You know best, but just my two cents on those EARLY mornings. My kids would also want more than 5 minutes to make sure they got the right clothes and stuffed animals packed (and yes, they are 12 and 15 and this is still a thing :upsidedow ). Have fun with it!

Sounds like they will like a surprise this time around- I like that they have been in on the planning several times already- though the 4 am thing is a bit problematic. If you don't think they will react well being pulled out of bed and surprised at that hour, I would surprise them a few days before with the video. It's close enough that it will be super exciting, but maybe over a few days time, he will be able to relax enough to sleep that night.

You know best, but just my two cents on those EARLY mornings. My kids would also want more than 5 minutes to make sure they got the right clothes and stuffed animals packed (and yes, they are 12 and 15 and this is still a thing :upsidedow ). Have fun with it!

As long as I get them to bed by 8 the night before, Im sure they will be fine in the morning. Once out of their rooms, they will be awake. :) We might even tell them a couple days before that we need to drive Dad to the airport for a business trip which happens often enough, at least this way they know they have to get up the night before, and will anticipate the early hour. As for clothes, I know what they will want. DS will wear whatever I pack him, and my fashionista 8 yr old, I know her inside out. lol Will be sure to have everything available from head to toe, incl earings. ;) But their bacpacks for the plane, or a stuffy...stuff like that they will need to grab. Nothing much. I will have their DSs and tablets charged and ready to go, backpacks at the door with their essentials. ;) I pretty much do it this way every time, they are just more involved. lol It will be a bit tricky!!

Of course this time, I didn't alert them, and DS ended up being in the middle of a partner project that was due the friday we came back (he went back to school on the Wednesday).

Wow that certainly wasn't very nice for his partner!! Poor kid. I couldn't do that to another child. Did your son receive a lower grade since the other did most of the work?

That is why IMO older kids should be told at least a couple weeks ahead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter