• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Surprised to love the Contemporary!

DisLaw

DIS Veteran
Just got back from a short stay at the Contemporary which I had booked because DD who loves the modern style had been asking to stay there despite the rest of the fam's preference for the more traditional theming of the BC and GF. First great surprise, we were upgraded to a tower room from my standard view garden wing! Got the text before we got on our plane and I was literally jumping for joy in the airport and embarrassing my kids! I'll say it again, it pays to ask for what you'd like. I was warned that it would be next to impossible to be upgraded from the garden wing to the tower but I still called and had them add it as a request and I also requested a balcony and high floor as my online requests at check in. Of course I know it was pure luck of the draw and probably because it was a short stay so you can't count on it but it was such a great surprise:)

Our room was a bay lake view which looking back I can say I think is the best view, even if you can't see the fireworks or the castle. We got so much use out of our balcony, sitting out there frequently even though it was so warm but in the evenings and afternoons it was very pleasant and looking at the water was super relaxing. The theme park side also has the parking lot in sight which to me sort of spoils the effect. We all agreed that the water view was just the absolute best. I had to laugh, my family looked down at the garden wing and asked "is that where we were supposed to stay??" and they all thought it looked like photos of old Soviet-era public housing :( Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration but from our lofty free upgraded room we were feeling very posh and privileged:)

The room was huge and very functional. I pulled out the rolling table from under the desk and we used that for eating in the room at times and also unfortunately for my laptop for some work I had to get done on vacation. The only thing I could have asked for was maybe another chair since we were using the couch as a bed for one of my kids. I was worried about the bathroom since the sinks were not separate but having the toilet with a door worked out well and we are a pretty close family;) so we managed fine taking showers and getting ready. I agree with the reviews that mentioned the lack of shelf space in the bathroom but we made use of the shelves under the sink so it was not a big deal. Everything was clean and working well. I agree that there is very little Disney theming beyond the Mickey on the shower curtain. We had no yellow pillows, no bed scarfs just the crisp white beds which were very comfy. AC was fabulous!!!:thumbsup2 This was one of my main worries but the air ran continuously keeping the room nice and chilly and even if we opened the balcony door it would not shut off. It also made a very pleasant humming sound which made for great white noise for sleeping. I kept the fan set on run not auto so it would not shut off when the temperature was reached I should add. I found the room very quiet and peaceful. Elevators were never an issue, but I work in a very busy elevator building so maybe I am just used to waiting for the elevator??

The first day, despite the great upgrade, we were still saying we weren't loving the resort...too modern, not Disney enough...ugly outside...but fast forward to our last day and we couldn't say enough about how much we loved it there! Having the quick service, fabulous stores and the monorail just short elevator ride away was priceless! Being able to walk to MK in under 10 minutes when the line for the monorail was off the ramps? Priceless!....Great games out by the pool like ping pong, baggo, connect four, that were never busy? Awesome!

I can't say enough about how much we loved our stay there! The only issue as my DH reminded me is that we need to book a tower room from now on, because I would not want to chance not getting the view we had guaranteed. I think a close second for me would be the BC just because the pool is so awesome there and you can also walk to the parks. GF, despite being my first love :love:since I first visited in my 20s did not live up to my expectations after finally staying there last year. Hated not being under one roof, especially in the rain, and while the theme just screams classic Disney to me, I could not justify the $$ sadly.

So for anyone on the fence about the Contemporary I say just give it a try! We moved to an offsite vacation home for a bigger family get together after we checked out and I found myself driving back to the contemporary several times to fill my mug, shop in the stores and just soak in the atmosphere again which I never expected to love as much as I did! Thanks Disney for another wonderful trip!!!

Last edited:
That's some amazing upgrade! I've always wondered if I would "hate" a stay here. We are Dvc members at AKL, which is probably as opposite as you can get, from theming, atmosphere, location, etc. AKL is absolutely our favorite place to stay, but I must say, whenever we visit Top of the World Louge at BLT, I do wonder about a stay there. Hmmm, maybe one day we will do a split stay, to check it out. Thanks for your review, and making me give the Contemporary another thought!

Just got back from a short stay at the Contemporary which I had booked because DD who loves the modern style had been asking to stay there despite the rest of the fam's preference for the more traditional theming of the BC and GF. First great surprise, we were upgraded to a tower room from my standard view garden wing! Got the text before we got on our plane and I was literally jumping for joy in the airport and embarrassing my kids! I'll say it again, it pays to ask for what you'd like. I was warned that it would be next to impossible to be upgraded from the garden wing to the tower but I still called and had them add it as a request and I also requested a balcony and high floor as my online requests at check in. Of course I know it was pure luck of the draw and probably because it was a short stay so you can't count on it but it was such a great surprise:)

Our room was a bay lake view which looking back I can say I think is the best view, even if you can't see the fireworks or the castle. We got so much use out of our balcony, sitting out there frequently even though it was so warm but in the evenings and afternoons it was very pleasant and looking at the water was super relaxing. The theme park side also has the parking lot in sight which to me sort of spoils the effect. We all agreed that the water view was just the absolute best. I had to laugh, my family looked down at the garden wing and asked "is that where we were supposed to stay??" and they all thought it looked like photos of old Soviet-era public housing :( Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration but from our lofty free upgraded room we were feeling very posh and privileged:)

The room was huge and very functional. I pulled out the rolling table from under the desk and we used that for eating in the room at times and also unfortunately for my laptop for some work I had to get done on vacation. The only thing I could have asked for was maybe another chair since we were using the couch as a bed for one of my kids. I was worried about the bathroom since the sinks were not separate but having the toilet with a door worked out well and we are a pretty close family;) so we managed fine taking showers and getting ready. I agree with the reviews that mentioned the lack of shelf space in the bathroom but we made use of the shelves under the sink so it was not a big deal. Everything was clean and working well. I agree that there is very little Disney theming beyond the Mickey on the shower curtain. We had no yellow pillows, no bed scarfs just the crisp white beds which were very comfy. AC was fabulous!!!:thumbsup2 This was one of my main worries but the air ran continuously keeping the room nice and chilly and even if we opened the balcony door it would not shut off. It also made a very pleasant humming sound which made for great white noise for sleeping. I kept the fan set on run not auto so it would not shut off when the temperature was reached I should add. I found the room very quiet and peaceful. Elevators were never an issue, but I work in a very busy elevator building so maybe I am just used to waiting for the elevator??

The first day, despite the great upgrade, we were still saying we weren't loving the resort...too modern, not Disney enough...ugly outside...but fast forward to our last day and we couldn't say enough about how much we loved it there! Having the quick service, fabulous stores and the monorail just short elevator ride away was priceless! Being able to walk to MK in under 10 minutes when the line for the monorail was off the ramps? Priceless!....Great games out by the pool like ping pong, baggo, connect four, that were never busy? Awesome!

I can't say enough about how much we loved our stay there! The only issue as my DH reminded me is that we need to book a tower room from now on, because I would not want to chance not getting the view we had guaranteed. I think a close second for me would be the BC just because the pool is so awesome there and you can also walk to the parks. GF, despite being my first love :love:since I first visited in my 20s did not live up to my expectations after finally staying there last year. Hated not being under one roof, especially in the rain, and while the theme just screams classic Disney to me, I could not justify the $$ sadly.

So for anyone on the fence about the Contemporary I say just give it a try! We moved to an offsite vacation home for a bigger family get together after we checked out and I found myself driving back to the contemporary several times to fill my mug, shop in the stores and just soak in the atmosphere again which I never expected to love as much as I did! Thanks Disney for another wonderful trip!!!
Glad you had a great stay! We loved our stay there, too, and we were in the Garden Wing. We had a first floor room with a nice patio, and a view out to the pool & Bay Lake. Peaceful and lovely.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay at the CR. It remains one of my favorite resorts. We have wonderful memories of vacations there. And congrats on the upgrade!

I remember before staying there and thinking that it was the last place that I would choose to stay. WELL - We LOVED our stay as well - so much that I booked a return less than two months later to stay there again. We enjoy staying there as much as the Poly and GF. I just can't choose a favourite among those three. It is wonderful in that tower - comfortable rooms, great views either direction, everything under one roof, walking to the MK - just priceless!!

So happy to hear that you loved the CR too!!!! Congratulations on your amazing upgrade!!!!

CR never appealed to me, but just goes to show, you never know until you stay..maybe one trip I'll give it a go. I don't think I'd be so lucky getting an upgrade staying 10-14 nights so I'd be afraid to request tower if I booked garden wing and get stuck in a gv room I didn't like. Since I'd want a patio if I was in the wing, but wasted my request on something I didn't book. You're right, short stays are the most likely to get upgraded. Great upgrade!!

Glad you ended up liking it so much! I honeymooned there - we were dying to try a monorail resort, but Poly and GF were out of our price point - and we absolutely loved it! Didn't hurt that we also got upgrades already had a tower theme park view and they upped it to club level. But it was super convenient to everything, and we really enjoyed our stay.

Glad you enjoyed your upgrade at the CR. We stayed there once in the Tower, and loved it.

Thank you! I have the same pre-trip thoughts on the Contemporary that you had, but something about it draws me to it so I'm really glad to hear you loved it! Now if I could only convince the rest of my family...

Super curious about this resort since it is within walking distance to MK. When you say you got an upgrade, do you mean they gave you the upgrade for the same as you would have paid for the Garden Level?

Thanks so much for this trip report! I would love to stay on the monorail loop someday and have been monitoring the pricing for the Contemporary and the Polynesian. And how lucky to be upgraded to a Bay Lake view!

Can anyone give an idea of what's a "good" price and the best time of year to find a deal? Thanks!

Super curious about this resort since it is within walking distance to MK. When you say you got an upgrade, do you mean they gave you the upgrade for the same as you would have paid for the Garden Level?

I can't speak for the OP, but one time we got a complimentary upgrade totally out of the blue at CR, from a standard view wing room to a one bedroom suite - and it was a ten night trip! That was the best upgrade we ever received, but I'm sure it had to do with the timing of our trip. We were checking out on 9/30, and there was a big VIP thing going on 10/1 for whatever anniversary year it happened to be (can't remember off the top of my head, but want to say maybe the 25th). I figure they had that room blocked for someone special to check in on the 30th, and we just lucked out since our trip ended that day. We definitely spent some down time at the resort on that trip.

Personally, I would not ask for any upgrade I wasn't willing to pay for, but as the OP has proven, you never know . . .

It sounds like it was for the same price.

Be aware that this is EXTREMELY RARE and almost never happens. Please don't get your hopes up and set yourself up for a disappointment. When booked in the GW, I consider that I have won the lottery if we get a ground floor room with a patio.

This is a very convenient place to stay. Some love it here, others not so much. It depends upon what you are looking for in a resort, IMO.

Last edited:
CR is my family's favorite for sure. Stayed in garden wing a few times and once was upgraded to tower club level water view (wow). Going to WL next time due to budget constraints. Glad you had a great trip.:)

We love the CR, too. The lake view is so pretty. You can see the water parade, too. It's such a convenient location. The only thing we don't like is the main pool is so shallow. We are not tall people, and we found it impossible to swim. :flower1:

we love the CR too! It's our favorite resort and the reason we eventually bought DVC at BLT. The resort is classic Disney as far as we are concerned. The convenience can't be beat. The food options are great (Contempo Cafe is our favorite QS anywhere). The CR rooms are HUUUUUUUUUUUGE (even if the BLT rooms are tiny LOL). Great pool. Greta activities. The marina...the views...SWOON!

Yep! No extra charge:)

I can't speak for the OP, but one time we got a complimentary upgrade totally out of the blue at CR, from a standard view wing room to a one bedroom suite - and it was a ten night trip! That was the best upgrade we ever received, but I'm sure it had to do with the timing of our trip. We were checking out on 9/30, and there was a big VIP thing going on 10/1 for whatever anniversary year it happened to be (can't remember off the top of my head, but want to say maybe the 25th). I figure they had that room blocked for someone special to check in on the 30th, and we just lucked out since our trip ended that day. We definitely spent some down time at the resort on that trip.

Personally, I would not ask for any upgrade I wasn't willing to pay for, but as the OP has proven, you never know . . .
I totally agree and was never "expecting" an upgrade and didn't personally ask for one at the front desk or anything like that. I just added it as a request when I made my reservation figuring it was a shot in the dark. Trust me I know this is rare and I just go super lucky:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter