Surprised by DVC Cash Price

bwbuddy

Mouseketeer
I made a Cruise reservation this week using DVC points for 1st and 3rd passenger, and paid cash for 2nd, for 7/3/2004 Western.

I was pleasantly surprised by the cash price - it was $400 less than the quote I saw on disneycruise.com, and $200 less than the current expedia price.

Am I missing something, or is the DVC discount really that steep?

I was actually shocked by how steep the cash price was When I was doing the same thing! In fact, I was able to get an additional room at the single rate for less than DVC wanted for the third adult in the stateroom. So no, in my experience, they don't discount! In fact, quite the opposite.

Good for you, though! Glad you got such a great rate!

Karyn

The DVC price is negotiated at the start of the year. It does have an early booking savings worked into it, so the "deal" you get depends on how far out the bookings are.. Ok let me try this again without sounding so confusing :)
We booked Jan for our Dec.cruise (11 months out) the cash price for one adult was around $1500.00. At that time the cash price on different booking sites for one adult at the cat. 6 was around 1400.00 so we were paying about 100.00 more. As time went on the early booking discounts got less and finally the cash price on sites ended up being about 1700.00 so we saved 200.00. It depends on when you book with other sites as to what you will pay. The closer to your sailing the more it will cost. DVC's cash price however will be the same regardless if you book 11 months out or one month out.

I'm actually surprised by this too! We booked our 3-night Cat. 11 room for the January 8th, 2004, cruise in early June of this year through DVC. The DVC cash price is $452. On Expedia, they still have rooms available (actually, the room right next to us is still available!) for $399 each. I was disappointed as I thought DVCs price would be less than the $399 advertised. Not trying to be cheap, but we decided to use points for both since we're doing WDW too and will need that cash for spending money.

So I don't think the DVC price is always so good. You are sailing on a cruise that is probably VERY popular and fills up quickly, so there probably aren't many discounted rates left out there -- since DVCs price is always the same, that's probably why it's better now. I wonder what the first person who booked paid though?

In order to get the cash DVC price, do you have to book one person on points? I have no points left, so I'm looking at booking thru DCL for all 4 of us. Should I call DVC if I'm not using any points at all???? TIA.

When we investigated paying cash for the third person, the DVC price was much higher than that available for the third person had we done a cash reservation at that time. We ended up buying more points and doing all three people with DVC points.

One person has to be on points in each stateroom in order to book through the DVC and get the DVC price.

Although we booked not so far out (in July for Jan) the prices were still at lowest cash prices - if you know what I mean. But to add an adult to a cat 7 was over $1500 (7 day Western) - and to put her in her own cat 11 was about the same but when we subtracted the rebate from DU, AND we had $200 shipboard credit from prebooking another cruise that we weren't going to be able to take - we did better by putting her across the hall from us. Early booking wouldn't have helped us here. W/DCL charging so much more for 3rd and 4th passengers in higher categories it made more sense to do it this way. Anyway, I'm liking the privacy thing! I'm not at all unhappy with how things turned out!

Karyn

I should mention that I also have a total cash reservation which I made through Dreams Unlimited around 3 months ago, and their rate is the lowest of the bunch at this point, even before the rebate.

I'll have to say that the DVC CM was very accomodating. After giving him my previous cash reservation number, he made sure that the DVC stateroom was close to the cash stateroom, and he linked the two staterooms for dining purposes. Altogether a very straight-forward and pleasant experience.

if you got a deal from DVC run with it, it is usually not the case. I had enough points to do 4 of us on our Wonder cruise and then the 5 year old cost $600.
I checked into a 12/4 cruise for just me and DH--I was one point short at the time so I checked on cash, and it was $629 I believe--when rates for a cat. 11 at that time are running at $379.
Also wanted to say we will be on that same cruise! Don't forget to add your name to the cruise list!
Robin M.

DVC will only be a good deal for a cruise where there are essentially no discounts, or none remaining, as the price is fixed for the year. It's a slightly discounted rack rate. I'm not sure that a DCL website or expedia check is the best comparison. But as always one should look at all alternatives and then proceed. I'd recommend against simply relying on the websites alone as your reference. Good luck.

Originally posted by bwbuddy
hmmm... so what sources would you recommend relying on?
I usually use icruise.com, it seems far more reliable and reproduceable as an online source. I would though include quotes given directly by AAA, Sam's, Costco, DU and All season travel. Not all 5 necessarily but at least one discount (Sam's and Costco) and one preferred firm. The DCL site is almost always significantly more and I find both expedia and travelocity unpredictable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter