SURPRISE! Obstructed Verandahs on the Disney Dream…

Based on what I am reading lately, DCL should have a minimum of 150 stateroom categories to choose from - in fact, each stateroom should be priced differently based on location, mechanics, noise, size, verandah size, structure and whether it has a connecting door or not.

That sounds like fun! :rotfl2:

Actually, they need to downgrade ALL of th staterooms! My room was on the starboard side and I couldn't see a damn thing on the port side of the ship. All that metal behind my verandah completely robbed me of a view of the other side. Or maybe they could add virtual verandahs that show the other side.

I want to see a posted pic looking straight out from inside the stateroom through the patio door.

I must admit that I was concerned about this obstruction after reading about and seeing the pic provided. I looked at the numbered exterior views from the sailout and
figured the room we have booked will have this 'obstruction' on our upcoming May cruise.

Somewhat by accident, I found this video of a stateroom with the aforementioned obstruction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7ZD3YGadg, Balcony is shown around 1:50.

After seeing that video, I must agree that it is a non-issue for us. Definetely not enough for me to try and change the room since the location and floor are exactly what we wanted (9th floor near middle of ship).

I'd like to thank the OP though for bringing this up.

Thanks, CTXRover. That video should help guests calm down and see that what some people think is the "end of the world", others are very happy to have!

I didn't see a thing wrong with that Verandah and in fact, probably would not have even thought for a second about it being "obstructed". That's just crazy talk! :lmao:

Thanks, CTXRover. That video should help guests calm down and see that what some people think is the "end of the world", others are very happy to have!

I didn't see a thing wrong with that Verandah and in fact, probably would not have even thought for a second about it being "obstructed". That's just crazy talk! :lmao:

I agree. I wouldn't consider than an obstruction at all. Might not even notice it if I hadn't been looking for it.

Are these dividers and thus obstructed rooms present on the Magic, too, besides the secret verhanda rooms??? I mean, are there about 96 obstructed views on Magic, too?

Yup!

photo_dcl_magic.jpg

Can anyone help me figure out is 6108 is one of the rooms with this so called obstruction? Looking at the deckplan it is on the other side of the ship from 6608. Does anyone have a photo similar to the first one on this post but for the other side of the ship?

Thanks

6108 has it.

So if I'm looking at all of this correctly does that mean that room 6550 has this piece that will block some of the view? I would like to know so I can change our room if needed. While I don't see it as the end all be all I would prefer to have a more open view.

6550 too.

To be very frank....this is such a silly none issue........The same thing is on the Magic/Wonder and not a word from anyone until one person started a frie storm, (which is her right), but its not worth the time to debate.

You may want to look at it from the point of view, the next verandah on that side, no one can peek around!:lmao:

Just my opinion..............AKK

To be very frank....this is such a silly none issue........The same thing is on the Magic/Wonder and not a word from anyone until one person started a frie storm, (which is her right), but its not worth the time to debate.

You may want to look at it from the point of view, the next verandah on that side, no one can peek around!:lmao:

Just my opinion..............AKK

I'm just encouraging them, aren't I? ;)

The definition of obstruct is to block or fill with obstacles; to impede, retard or interfere with; hinder. To cut off from sight. IMO that little 10" wide strip of metal doesn't do any of that as you still have how many feet WIDE OPEN and you clearly have a clear railing?!

I have only skimmed thru this thread here & there & haven't read every post. But hasn't anybody brought up that the "secret verandah" rooms on the Magic & Wonder got that name simply because they're classified in with the Navigator verandah cabins which DO have a LOT of obstruction?! The true Navigator cabins not only have a solid wall on the bottom of the railing but are further obstructed with those giant porthole things above the railing. The 4 cabins that got reclassified into that category actually have the clear plexiglass railing on the bottom half so they're much, much less obstructed. They have a lot more of this sheet metal curvature down one side tho than what this looks like on the Dream. If you booked one of those 4 cabins on the Magic & Wonder and didn't know any better you'd be expecting a solid wall verandah and would be surprised with the clear railing instead!! This is in no way the same idea as what these Dream cabins have. I don't view these cabins as "obstructed" views at all.

Looks like we have that obstruction for our 2/20 b2b. We have 7162 on the port side, on the starboard side it looks like it would be 7660. The panels seem to correspond with the indentation features on decks 11 and 12 and run vertically down to deck 5.

I just specifically picked 7162 for our Thanksgiving cruise on the Fantasy in 2012 because it is a non-connecting room. I'm not concerned about the "obstruction" as it doesn't appear to be that much more significant than the verandahs on the DM and DW with the slant (e.g. room 7120). We kinda liked the slant because it helped keep the sun out. Maybe these panels will also help keep the cigarette smoke out ;):confused3

My concern, however, is that the room we originally had booked (6146) also had the lifeboats and an extended verandah below so you could not look down or right or left and see the water. Anyone know if 7162 is at least out of site of the lifeboats? (really surprised at the design that the lifeboats are flush with the ship like on the older ones :sad2:)

I am booked in 5044 and by my math in counting rooms on the deckplans and pictures, It looks like have one of those rooms, but I am not worried about it!! I was on the Disney Wonder in February 2008 and had that special paid for navigators verandah and got a balcony, so I am okay with this!!

we are booked in rooms 8118 & 8120 (cat 4B) for our 2012 cruise on the Dream. Are these rooms ones with obstructed views? If they are i will try to change to different rooms! Thanks for the info!:confused3

And we have no intention of changing! We're on a 3 night cruise and for the amount of time we will spend on the balcony, it is so not worth changing our cabin. We got a great rate for our cruise in November and I wouldn't spend an extra $1,000 because of a foot or more of view that is compromised. Plus if you are on the balcony looking out, what are you missing? Overreaction IMO. Wishing all a great cruise! :thumbsup2

We were in 7162 on a b2b in Feb. and the obstruction wouldn't have been noticed except I saw the posting before we left. I wouldn't call it an obstruction at all. I don't know what all the fuss is about. I pointed it out to my wife and she said 'What obstruction?", I had to show it to her.

We have 7660 booked on the Fantasy for 2012. Appears that it is one of "these" staterooms. I was more excited that it wasn't a connecting room when I got it. LOL

Upon reading the thread, my first thought was "gotta call and change my stateroom." We were just in 7168 on the Dream, and connected with our friends in 7170 ... now THAT (7170) is an OBSTRUCTED view! It's where the metal slants towards the Oceanviews that are right next door. Our friends, however, always had the Navigator verandahs on Magic and Wonder, and were sad that they didn't have them on the Dream ... so they were quite fine with 7170. It did block a bit of the wind at night.

Thanks to the person that posted the You tube video ... that was GREAT ... really shows it like it is. Just showed DH and he said it's not worth changing ... of course that's probably because we're planning on pushing that date out anyway! LOL :rotfl:

If your choice is room 9588, an obstructed view from what I can gather, or room 10578, with the deck 11 noise complaints I've read about, which is the lesser of two "nuisances"? Also, is 10578 an obstructed view? I'm losing track of what I'm looking at in the various pictures. Thank you !

After watching that video it looks like the "obstruction" is no different than stateroom 7120 on the Magic -- which we requested a second time because the slant not only made it feel a little more private, but gave us shade to sit in! I loved it and didn't find it intrusive at all.

Holy Crap! I'm such a Drama Queen!

I read the first post on this thread, freaked out, emailed my TA that I need to change rooms as we are booked on the Fantasy on 19 May 2012 in Stateroom 7600. Obstructed view! No way! My vacation is ruined if I cannot change rooms!

Then I started reading and saw the You Tube video that CTXRover posted.

:thanks:

Really a non-issue. If anything, we will have a bit more privacy (no offense).

:cloud9:

Peace, love and verandas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter