Surprise for 18 year-old daughter

nobska

Earning My Ears
Longtime lurker - we haven’t been to Disney in 5+ years. My daughter (in my pic whose now 18, sniff) and I are visiting DL for a short trip before she starts college in September, this is a trip she really wants. We are staying at the GC, arriving midday Wed Sept 11 and flying out the Friday night. I want to do something special for her. I thought about WOC dessert or meal, but she wants to try FP and be down on the railing. A tour seems to take a huge chunk of the day and we’re not there that long. She is on the fence about a character meal. No Fantasmic or fireworks while we are there. Reviews for the MSEP dining and viewing seem poor and figure we’re better off on our own. Any ideas I haven’t thought of? She is a huge Winnie the Pooh, Lion King and Marvel fan. Thanks for any help, I may be just doing a spur of the moment thing she sees, but thought I’d ask.

I can not recommend the World of Color dessert party enough. It is the only way I want to see the show anymore. But if you’re set on being at the railing, other options:
-Frozen dining package is really fun. You have a very nice meal at Carthay Circle, then first pick seating at the Frozen show (broadway quality and a very good show).
-Walk in Walt’s Disneyland Footsteps tour. It does take up about 3-4 hours, but it’s a great tour that includes lunch and a peak behind the curtain (special viewing of Walt’s apartment above the fire station)
-Breakfast in the park with Minnie and friends at Plaza Inn. In my opinion, the best character meal. You will see the most characters and a good variety of them, plus the food is pretty good.

I’m sure anything you decide to do will be a blast!

Longtime lurker - we haven’t been to Disney in 5+ years. My daughter (in my pic whose now 18, sniff) and I are visiting DL for a short trip before she starts college in September, this is a trip she really wants. We are staying at the GC, arriving midday Wed Sept 11 and flying out the Friday night. I want to do something special for her. I thought about WOC dessert or meal, but she wants to try FP and be down on the railing. A tour seems to take a huge chunk of the day and we’re not there that long. She is on the fence about a character meal. No Fantasmic or fireworks while we are there. Reviews for the MSEP dining and viewing seem poor and figure we’re better off on our own. Any ideas I haven’t thought of? She is a huge Winnie the Pooh, Lion King and Marvel fan. Thanks for any help, I may be just doing a spur of the moment thing she sees, but thought I’d ask.

Has she seen World of Color before? Even with a FP to be on the railing you would have to get there very early to get that spot and then you stand, and stand and stand while people pack in like sardines waiting for it to start. After doing the WOC Desert Party I won't do it any other way. I think this would be a perfect thing for you and your daughter to do. You get to sit and relax while you wait for the show while you eat dessert and get waited on. I 100% recommend this!

Try to find out when Pooh will be taking pictures (spot is in front of the store/Splash exit in Critter Country and get a few pics with Pooh, then get a couple of cool pins, a shirt or two and some treats!
Ride in the cone of the monorail. Get maxpass on your tickets so you can enjoy every moment in the parks. How about snack sharing your way through the time you are there instead of sit down meals? This way, you can try all the things you wanted without feeling too much guilt if you did not like something. Many places will have limited items for Halloween (not just sweet treats, but savory items too.)

Thank you everyone for the great ideas. I did book WOC dessert for our second night. We will try for the front row with FP first night, so this will be insurance. We can see it twice if it does work out. Plenty of time to see the second MSEP after. Minnie’s breakfast is full, but I’ll keep checking if there are cancellations. I think I’ll have to see if anything else strikes her interest. It’s been several years and she doesn’t remember much of what we’ve done before (character meals, Blue Bayou, etc) so it will be great no matter what.

If you find yourself at the WOC dessert party and they take you down all the way to the right at the end of the section closest to pixar pier, ask for a different seat. It looks like a good seat but is in fact along steps that form a major entry/exit walk way. Our view consisted of people constantly walking in and out and people standing on the steps with kids on their shoulders. It was not worth the money.

If you find yourself at the WOC dessert party and they take you down all the way to the right at the end of the section closest to pixar pier, ask for a different seat. It looks like a good seat but is in fact along steps that form a major entry/exit walk way. Our view consisted of people constantly walking in and out and people standing on the steps with kids on their shoulders. It was not worth the money.
Thanks so much! This is great info. She just walked in an informed me it’s 16 days, 12 hours, 35 minutes, etc til our flight. I think she’s excited!! 😆

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the great ideas. I did book WOC dessert for our second night. We will try for the front row with FP first night, so this will be insurance. We can see it twice if it does work out. Plenty of time to see the second MSEP after. Minnie’s breakfast is full, but I’ll keep checking if there are cancellations. I think I’ll have to see if anything else strikes her interest. It’s been several years and she doesn’t remember much of what we’ve done before (character meals, Blue Bayou, etc) so it will be great no matter what.

I've had luck getting walkups to Minnies in the past for a party of two. If you can't find a cancellation either try to go straight at opening and see if they're taking walkups or try on the half hour/hour. That's usually when the restaraunts are taking walk ups in my experience. I've scored walk ups to Blue Bayou doing this in the past and have over heard CMs making a comment that usually on the half hour/hour is when they release slots for the walk ups.

Still try to get a cancellation if you can. But walkups are an option there.

I've had luck getting walkups to Minnies in the past for a party of two. If you can't find a cancellation either try to go straight at opening and see if they're taking walkups or try on the half hour/hour. That's usually when the restaraunts are taking walk ups in my experience. I've scored walk ups to Blue Bayou doing this in the past and have over heard CMs making a comment that usually on the half hour/hour is when they release slots for the walk ups.

Still try to get a cancellation if you can. But walkups are an option there.
Great to know. I’m checking multiple times a day for a cancellation, but if that’s a no go I’ll try the walk up. Thank you, thank you!!

This is really pricey and I'm not sure how she'd feel about it, but the new princess dining experience might be fun. My friends and I have considered doing it together! I honestly wouldn't take my little child at the price point they're asking, but if your daughter likes princesses and a fancy meal, it might be pretty fun and at least she'd eat the food. My daughter (who is 19) would've totally done it but now she works at DL in entertainment and has princess friends so I'm not sure whether or not she'd still want to. Anyway, I've heard a lot of groups without kids go. There is also the Afternoon Tea at Disneyland Hotel; my sister and I did that last year and it was very cool.

This is really pricey and I'm not sure how she'd feel about it, but the new princess dining experience might be fun. My friends and I have considered doing it together! I honestly wouldn't take my little child at the price point they're asking, but if your daughter likes princesses and a fancy meal, it might be pretty fun and at least she'd eat the food. My daughter (who is 19) would've totally done it but now she works at DL in entertainment and has princess friends so I'm not sure whether or not she'd still want to. Anyway, I've heard a lot of groups without kids go. There is also the Afternoon Tea at Disneyland Hotel; my sister and I did that last year and it was very cool.
She is not a princess girl, one Halloween all her friends were princesses and she was a hockey player. 😆

But, great news, I got a reservation for Minnie and Friends breakfast AND booked the Happiest Haunts Tour. I think we are good to go. Three events in three days, plus all the rides, etc. we will be full of Disney joy. Thank you everyone!!!

If you are adverse to getting wet, bring a poncho for your WOC rail viewing day. When there is a hint of wind in the right direction there is definitely a heavy mist that falls towards the audience!
A celebration button would be fun too, and I love any excuse I can get to ride with the captain on the Mark Twain. Have so much fun making these special memories!

She is not a princess girl, one Halloween all her friends were princesses and she was a hockey player. 😆

But, great news, I got a reservation for Minnie and Friends breakfast AND booked the Happiest Haunts Tour. I think we are good to go. Three events in three days, plus all the rides, etc. we will be full of Disney joy. Thank you everyone!!!
Ohhh the happiest haunts tour, that’s about the only one I haven’t done yet. Hope you guys have a blast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter