Support for a newly married Army wife

Beastlover

When leaving a room, make it dramatic...use Jazz h
I am new to the United We Stand board, I thought I should come here in support of not just who entered my life, but in all of you who are going through the same situation.

There is a girl in my life, who me and my DH have "adopted" into our family. She met a great guy, and they got married sat. 6/24. The morning after he had to fly back to his base (Washington State) and prepare to be shipped out. He is in the Army (not sure-a Ranger???) His parents are in Jersey, wonderful people, but also far away. She is all alone, trying to build their life, so when he comes home in Oct. everything is ready for them.

She feels very alone, and overwhealmed. We spoke on the phone last night and I really worry about her. She is looking for an apartment to rent in the interim around our home in McHenry, IL as a short-term rental until housing comes thru in Wash. for them. At that time she will move there.

Anybody in either McHenry, IL area or Washington area that can lend some support for her? Any advice? I feel so helpless for her, anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for listening and God Bless

Unfortunately, I'm on the opposite side of the state, about 6 hours away...
I can offer a little advice though -

Every base should have some type of support system for her to look in to. They specialize in young families and deployments.

Base housing should also be available to lend them a hand in searching for housing on or off base.

Military communities are usually very accepting and supportive, as we are all in the same boat, so to speak. Tell her not to be afraid to ask for help from the different systems set up to help military spouse/families.

Deployments are rough. Being there to listen and as her friend will be the biggest support of all!:)

That's wonderful advice! We are trying to get her in temporary apt. around us, because it does not make sense to have her move out there, alone and housing is not ready yet.
I will tell her of her options for support for when she gets there. It sure will be comforting knowing she has others near her that can hook her up with the right places for support.
She will head out there closer to the time he gets home in Oct.
Thanks again!

I'm an active duty military wife. I have only been in this environment for 18 months so I do understand what she is going through. If you would like to either email me or give her my email I would be more than happy to help her. I don't live anywhere near her though but I can give her advice to get started or give you some pointers to help guide her along. Please tell your friend that she is in my prayers. I had been married all of 2 months when my Dh deployed to Iraq for the beginning of the war, so I had to intergrate myself. Good luck and if you need anything please ask.

Tina

I'm on the other side of Washington State, too, but every base has a housing office she can contact. They should have info about the waiting list for base housing and good off-base housing. Of course, they told us it would be a six month waiting period for a house and we got one the day we moved here, but... They help! The Family Support Services should also have info on finding a job, helping kids with everything, and all the other stuff. (Uh, it's Family Support for the Air Force - sometimes those other branches have their own names for things!)

I'm at Fort Lewis--the Army base on the right side of Washington. :) I'm fairly new here (arrived in Feb.) but I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can, even if it is just a contact! Let me know what I can do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter