Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure and Reopening, 3/14/20 - 7/17/20: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this has been asked and answered but I can't find it in the thread - I thought I saw initially that DL had extended prepaid tickets to December 2021 (I bought multi-day passes last month expecting to use them in October, but I have serious doubts about how this will play out), but currently on the website it says "through the end of their validity period." Was the earlier statement a rumor, did they change it - any further information? It's not a pressing matter for us now, obviously, but I imagine people who were planning a spring trip may not be able to go before the end of the year due to school, etc., and that seems kind of unfair to them.
They originally had extended the expiration date. But then they went back and decided that the expiration date on the tickets is the expiration date for the tickets. I guess because they'll give you credit for the amount you paid for the tickets if they expire. But I deliberately bought mine early knowing the price increase was coming, and I'll be kind of peeved if I have to re-purchase after they expire. Although I anticipate being able to use them before they do. If not Memorial Day, then 4th of July (or July sometime). If not 4th of July, then during my DD's October break from school.

Has anyone that paid in full for their APs gotten a partial refund yet? I've been waiting for an update since they first sent out the email stating that possibility but nothing yet and now I'm wondering if I just need to call in and get it but I'm curious about more details to know if it will be worth it to me... Is it just a simple prorate for everything or is the maxpass portion not included? Will I be able to get the refund for all the APs I purchased or does each adult have to call in separately? Or are they still not doing partial refunds for this yet - the email on the 6th just said "information will be provided soon on how to choose this option" which I guess my idea of soon was sooner than Disney's, heh... not sure if anyone's heard more details about this option? I've read through this entire thread and didn't see anyone mention getting partial refunds for their paid in full APs yet but maybe I missed it?

Thank you for any information! I hate having to call in without knowing the details since I like to have all the information to think about awhile before making a decision... I'd also love to have this off my mind, as I'm sure is the case with so many of us this is really getting me down, it was our first time ever getting APs and we had so many plans and so much excitement and it was sort of a last family hurrah for us since in future years we won't have as much freedom to all vacation together.... ugh, I just need to let go and move on, I'm actually crying again now "talking" about it, so much involved I know we are all feeling it.

I'm sure this has been asked and answered but I can't find it in the thread - I thought I saw initially that DL had extended prepaid tickets to December 2021 (I bought multi-day passes last month expecting to use them in October, but I have serious doubts about how this will play out), but currently on the website it says "through the end of their validity period." Was the earlier statement a rumor, did they change it - any further information? It's not a pressing matter for us now, obviously, but I imagine people who were planning a spring trip may not be able to go before the end of the year due to school, etc., and that seems kind of unfair to them.
The earlier statement was not a rumor. It was literally the policy posted on the website. And then one day we noticed it changed to through the end of their validity period. It’s left a few people understandably upset but no report of Disney saying they would honor the original policy so far.

Has anyone that paid in full for their APs gotten a partial refund yet? I've been waiting for an update since they first sent out the email stating that possibility but nothing yet and now I'm wondering if I just need to call in and get it but I'm curious about more details to know if it will be worth it to me... Is it just a simple prorate for everything or is the maxpass portion not included? Will I be able to get the refund for all the APs I purchased or does each adult have to call in separately? Or are they still not doing partial refunds for this yet - the email on the 6th just said "information will be provided soon on how to choose this option" which I guess my idea of soon was sooner than Disney's, heh... not sure if anyone's heard more details about this option? I've read through this entire thread and didn't see anyone mention getting partial refunds for their paid in full APs yet but maybe I missed it?

Thank you for any information! I hate having to call in without knowing the details since I like to have all the information to think about awhile before making a decision... I'd also love to have this off my mind, as I'm sure is the case with so many of us this is really getting me down, it was our first time ever getting APs and we had so many plans and so much excitement and it was sort of a last family hurrah for us since in future years we won't have as much freedom to all vacation together.... ugh, I just need to let go and move on, I'm actually crying again now "talking" about it, so much involved I know we are all feeling it.

I can't see how they can do a partial refund of fully paid for APs until they have a firm re-opening date because the most logical way to do this would be to simply give a prorated refund based on the number of days the park was closed. I would therefore expect more information on that option to be available once they have a for-sure reopening date.

They originally had extended the expiration date. But then they went back and decided that the expiration date on the tickets is the expiration date for the tickets. I guess because they'll give you credit for the amount you paid for the tickets if they expire. But I deliberately bought mine early knowing the price increase was coming, and I'll be kind of peeved if I have to re-purchase after they expire. Although I anticipate being able to use them before they do. If not Memorial Day, then 4th of July (or July sometime). If not 4th of July, then during my DD's October break from school.
FYI Oct can be crazy between Gay Days and all the school breaks. Might want to book a refundable hotel now if you can.

I am waiting for more information before reaching out to Disney. I have been weighing the pros and cons of an extension vs. getting a partial refund and while taking another trip later this year does sound awesome I have to look ahead to vacation planning for 2021 which looks like a WDW trip for my boyfriend's 50th birthday in the fall. Since we are in the PNW it will probably be a longer trip which means more funds need to go to that and not to another trip down to California. Plus not knowing when the parks are going to open, what the crowds will be like when they do, I think I will occupy my time planning for the East Coast.

I can't see how they can do a partial refund of fully paid for APs until they have a firm re-opening date because the most logical way to do this would be to simply give a prorated refund based on the number of days the park was closed. I would therefore expect more information on that option to be available once they have a for-sure reopening date.
Oh that's a bummer... checking the email again I do see where it says "Passholders who have paid in full may choose to receive a partial refund for the theme park closure period." which I somehow missed before... so disappointing as having this up in the air like that is just driving me crazy... we definitely will not be able to use our APs more than once if at all after September of this year which is when they are set to expire, feeling gutted realizing it looks like I will have to wait the life of my AP before having this resolved... I know it's so low on the scale of issues and concerns for many during this time but it just completely messes with my mental health right now that I need to handle all the other big stuff going on. Thank you so much for the input, really appreciate it even though it's not what I want to hear, heh! Ultimately I'm grateful we'll be compensated in some way eventually of course just would love to be able to have it resolved and out of my head space.

The earlier statement was not a rumor. It was literally the policy posted on the website. And then one day we noticed it changed to through the end of their validity period. It’s left a few people understandably upset but no report of Disney saying they would honor the original policy so far.

Ok that's what I thought, but then when I checked the website and it didn't say that I thought "there's no way they just up and changed the policy." When...I guess they did. Interesting. I wonder what they feel they have to lose by extending the dates, unless they think it will pressure people into visiting in Q4 2020 that would have just pushed out to 2021.

Ok that's what I thought, but then when I checked the website and it didn't say that I thought "there's no way they just up and changed the policy." When...I guess they did. Interesting. I wonder what they feel they have to lose by extending the dates, unless they think it will pressure people into visiting in Q4 2020 that would have just pushed out to 2021.
I don’t think they think they’ll get anyone to change their trip, they just want the extra cash from those who can’t make it this year. (And I have no doubt they will increase prices.) As for how much... if I had tickets that would need to be applied towards new tickets in 2021 I would budget for a 15% increase and be happy if it’s less.

Fwiw... Reports on the WDW side are price increases are already creeping in, during the shutdown. They say some menus are being updated with increased prices. Xmas party tickets are said to be available by phone and have gone up 15%- I think we are about to see some major Disney inflation as Disney gauges what they can get by with.

I don’t think they think they’ll get anyone to change their trip, they just want the extra cash from those who can’t make it this year. (And I have no doubt they will increase prices.) As for how much... if I had tickets that would need to be applied towards new tickets in 2021 I would budget for a 15% increase and be happy if it’s less.

Fwiw... Reports on the WDW side are price increases are already creeping in, during the shutdown. They say some menus are being updated with increased prices. Xmas party tickets are said to be available by phone and have gone up 15%- I think we are about to see some major Disney inflation as Disney gauges what they can get by with.

I'm not an expert obviously, but that seems like such a gamble...I have to believe that there's a significant portion of people that are going to think DLR is a hard no until there's a vaccine, and a price increase isn't going to tempt them further.

I got a letter from Disneyland Resort Annual Passport Program today. It just talks about extending the passes nothing about a refund. It even mentions passholders on the monthly payment program remaining on the current payment schedule and no other option. I’m out of state so paid in full. I wonder if they are changing their position or if they sent out an old letter?

I got a letter from Disneyland Resort Annual Passport Program today. It just talks about extending the passes nothing about a refund. It even mentions passholders on the monthly payment program remaining on the current payment schedule and no other option. I’m out of state so paid in full. I wonder if they are changing their position or if they sent out an old letter?
Is there a date on the letter?

Useless speculation all put in an article with a headline that makes it appear as fact.

Great reporting.
^this

That blogger literally just took all the rumors floating around places like the DIS and ideas already written up by Disney bloggers at least a week ago and turned it into a clickbait article. They DEFINITELY know nothing.

I don't know of a way to know for sure, but 90+% of people on these boards report being credited the full value of a uct ticket toward an AP or upgraded ticket. Your son's unused ticket will hold it's value indefinitely.

Thanks for your reply!

Today, I made the sad decision to cancel our DLR trip for June 21-25 :sad:. What a tough decision. I was using DVC points, so had to call and discuss my options. I may end up losing some Grand Californian points due to them being banked, but maybe I can try to rebook something before they expire. We will hold onto the value of the UCT park hopper vouchers and use them eventually, and I was able to get Southwest to refund our flights since they had changed the flight numbers and times.

It's likely that this decision to cancel would have been made for me in a month or less, so I decided to have some control in what is an uncontrollable situation. If it turns out that the resort is open and it is safe to travel about the country again, then we will probably be happy going ANYWHERE at that point. And we will be super happy for everyone who gets to go!

I’m sorry if this has already been asked. Do we know what will happen to regular tickets people have bought that have an expiration date? I have four parkhoppers with maxpass I bought through the Disney website. For some reason I have the impression I must use them by January 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter