• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure and Reopening, 3/14/20 - 7/17/20: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the tickets, I think they need to start giving refunds. Even if the park opens this summer, how safe is it going to be for people? Especially if you’re at risk. What if you’re laid off and can’t plan or take a vacation due to financial constraints? If they’re adamant about not refunding tickets, the expiration dates should just be eliminated so people can use them whenever.
The tickets remain value even after the expire, that's why they usually don't issue refunds.

Were you paid up or on monthly payments? Trying to figure out if I need to call to get the extension on a paid off AP. Don't want the refund...it was paid using hubby's card and I'm sure he'd gladly take the refund since he doesn't even have a pass. :laughing:
We are on monthly payments. From what I gather, I don't think you have to call if you just want a fully paid AP extended. It's the partial refund I think you'd have to call for.

Can anyone confirm?

Just got an email from United stating they’d let me cancel and reschedule/get a flight credit for our plane tickets for July but only if we do so by April 30th.

Now I’m feeling panicked like I need to make a decision if we’re still gonna go in July! I see so many of you on here rescheduling for summer which makes me hopeful (yay you guys!) but when I talk to my family that works in the medical field they’re all telling me there’s no way things will be safe for me to travel by July (I’m high risk) so now I’m stuck.

I’d imagine United would extend that offer at some point? But can’t say I’m not feeling pressed to just say screw it and reschedule... 😞

Just got an email from United stating they’d let me cancel and reschedule/get a flight credit for our plane tickets for July but only if we do so by April 30th.

Now I’m feeling panicked like I need to make a decision if we’re still gonna go in July! I see so many of you on here rescheduling for summer which makes me hopeful (yay you guys!) but when I talk to my family that works in the medical field they’re all telling me there’s no way things will be safe for me to travel by July (I’m high risk) so now I’m stuck.

I’d imagine United would extend that offer at some point? But can’t say I’m not feeling pressed to just say screw it and reschedule... 😞

It's tough to cancel a Disney trip, but fortunately United will give you a year to rebook. We are sitting on future flight credits for our canceled March WDW trip. 😑

Maybe but I wouldn’t count on it. UA will fly that flight if they can and they have been one of the most unfriendly of the airlines in all this mess.

You have until end of April so maybe you’ll get lucky and UA will cancel the flight. If they cancel it you are entitled to a cash refund.

You have until end of April so maybe you’ll get lucky and UA will cancel the flight. If they cancel it you are entitled to a cash refund.

We definitely want to reschedule the trip but it wouldn't hurt to have the cash in the pocket either. I'll wait until later this month and if they cancel it cool, if not I'll cancel it and hang on to the flight credit. Can always just rebook if July travel is a go, right?! We always do the Peace of Mind plan with Get Away Today so I can either just get a refund or push our dates out as things evolve.

I'm not feeling too optimistic right now though, unfortunately. :sad: If July doesn't look feasible then when? Hard to make a decision, I keep going back and forth between Thanksgiving, the holidays, or next summer altogether.

We definitely want to reschedule the trip but it wouldn't hurt to have the cash in the pocket either. I'll wait until later this month and if they cancel it cool, if not I'll cancel it and hang on to the flight credit. Can always just rebook if July travel is a go, right?! We always do the Peace of Mind plan with Get Away Today so I can either just get a refund or push our dates out as things evolve.

I'm not feeling too optimistic right now though, unfortunately. :sad: If July doesn't look feasible then when? Hard to make a decision, I keep going back and forth between Thanksgiving, the holidays, or next summer altogether.

I do not think Disneyland will be back to normal until next summer.... that’s what I’d be shooting for.

Looks like they just made a change to extend the credits for up to 24 months which is helpful. I found that info here: https://hub.united.com/united-how-change-your-flight-2645469782.html

I'm assuming date they are issued is the date you cancel right? Not the date you purchased the ticket?
I would wait until the end of the month. But don't forget! If they don't cancel the flight, then cancel yourself and hold onto the flight credits since they are allowing 24 months for them. Downside is the credits don't necessarily give your money back, but at least you know you aren't losing money either.

Having a hard time deciding on whether to get the refund or extend our expiration date. We are on the monthly payment plan but our passes don’t expire until October. I guess I’m having a hard time weighing the pros and cons...anyone else having a hard time deciding? I guess I don’t see the harm in getting the refund since our expiration date isn’t for awhile and we could just renew then 🤷‍♀️

Universal Orlando just extended their closure through the end of May. That won't be the last time they have to extend it. Disney has their closure listed as "indefinite," but you can pretty well rest assured that they're on the same timetable as Universal in terms of when they can reopen.

You need to do it at the ticket booths. Lines can be long, so if you can visit the night before your first park day, you'll be better off. You will likely be credited the full ticket price at the time you originally purchased, not the discounted uct price.

Is there a way to know if we would be credited for the full ticket price or the discounted UCT price? And what if my son can't use his because he is going away to college, would we just keep the paper voucher indefinitely until he can go on a vacation to DLR again?

Having a hard time deciding on whether to get the refund or extend our expiration date. We are on the monthly payment plan but our passes don’t expire until October. I guess I’m having a hard time weighing the pros and cons...anyone else having a hard time deciding? I guess I don’t see the harm in getting the refund since our expiration date isn’t for awhile and we could just renew then 🤷‍♀️

We paid in full and I’m still having a hard time deciding if we should get a refund or extend. My concern with the extension is that they’ll open the parks too soon, we won’t feel comfortable going, or it’ll be so reduced it won’t be a great experience. I’m also worried about what type of measures they’ll have in place to attempt to keep people “safe”.

Looks like they just made a change to extend the credits for up to 24 months which is helpful. I found that info here: https://hub.united.com/united-how-change-your-flight-2645469782.html

I'm assuming date they are issued is the date you cancel right? Not the date you purchased the ticket?

I checked the statement and it says the credit is valid for one year from the original booking date. That means I have to book by February 5, 2021, because I originally booked our flights on February 5, 2020.

Meh. 😏

Is there a way to know if we would be credited for the full ticket price or the discounted UCT price? And what if my son can't use his because he is going away to college, would we just keep the paper voucher indefinitely until he can go on a vacation to DLR again?
I don't know of a way to know for sure, but 90+% of people on these boards report being credited the full value of a uct ticket toward an AP or upgraded ticket. Your son's unused ticket will hold it's value indefinitely.

The price you paid for the annual pass was lower than the current price of the annual pass. If you are absolutely renewing your annual pass, you should probably extend so that you can get more months at a lower rate.

But if you don't anticipate yourself going for a while after your current expiration date, it may make sense to get the refund and just let it expire. For example, if Disneyland is closed for 2 months and you don't anticipate going at all in November and December, you save two months of payments by getting the refund.

I checked the statement and it says the credit is valid for one year from the original booking date. That means I have to book by February 5, 2021, because I originally booked our flights on February 5, 2020.

Looks like they just updated it a few days ago:

“If you decide to cancel your flight, you can retain the value of your ticket to be applied to a new ticket without a fee. These electronic travel certificates are now valid for 24 months from the date they were issued. This includes all currently valid electronic certificates and all new ones issued on or after April 1, 2020. You might not see this policy change reflected everywhere right away – we appreciate your patience as we work to make that happen.”

I also booked our tickets on 2/5- funny coincidence. So based on the new statement they’d be good for travel out to 2/5/2022.

I'm sure this has been asked and answered but I can't find it in the thread - I thought I saw initially that DL had extended prepaid tickets to December 2021 (I bought multi-day passes last month expecting to use them in October, but I have serious doubts about how this will play out), but currently on the website it says "through the end of their validity period." Was the earlier statement a rumor, did they change it - any further information? It's not a pressing matter for us now, obviously, but I imagine people who were planning a spring trip may not be able to go before the end of the year due to school, etc., and that seems kind of unfair to them.

Our airline is doing the same thing (Qantas). They are offering a flight credit for any flights up until 31 July but you have to decide by 30 April.
I assume it is because if they cancel they have to refund whereas if I cancel they will only give a flight credit (good of them to allow people this option but still, cash is always good!)
At this stage the flight is still scheduled of course. I'm fairly certain we won't be flying overseas from here in July, our state has the tightest restrictions in Aus, but if it is flying but I choose not to go then I will have lost my option for the credit.

I was doing a solo trip mid-July. I'm 99.9% sure I won't be going.
I cancelled my hotel reservation at D.I.&S, cancelled my transfers with Karmel and cancelled my D/L tickets with Expedia which were fully refundable up until 12 July. I was most upset about them as I got a really good deal, they're over $100 more now for the 4 day hopper!
I could probably have held on to the D/L ticket but as I have no idea when we will be able to fly overseas again from our state it seemed better to just take the refund.
I thought about going in December but I think it's probably going to be July next year before I can realistically fly to the US again.

I will wait till the end of the month and then go ahead and cancel my flight to LA with Qantas. I had the same thought, if things magically get better by July then I can just rebook but I doubt that's going to happen at this stage based on what we're being told.
Probably looking at next Summer as the earliest I imagine : (

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter