Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure and Reopening, 3/14/20 - 7/17/20: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just tried to rescheduled my April 19th reservation. I got the RUDEST agent on the phone that I ended up getting "disconnected" from. It was so strange! I have never encountered anyone rude at Disney! One thing she did say though was that "they had been told that Disneyland definitely wont be open" the beginning of June and they might be the end of June but they don't know. When I called back and got a different agent, she told me they had no info and was fine booking me a room on June 8th. I have no idea how credible the first agent was as seemed very strange. But I did schedule a back up reservation as well due to this info
First agent’s actions showed would tell me they are untrustworthy, maybe they’re getting laid off who knows? That said even Disney doesn’t know if they’ll be open for sure so I’d have a backup to the June trip scheduled as well.

First agent’s actions showed would tell me they are untrustworthy, maybe they’re getting laid off who knows? That said even Disney doesn’t know if they’ll be open for sure so I’d have a backup to the June trip scheduled as well.

Yes she was strange. She also claimed I wasn't able to get the resort credit for switching my days because I was modifying my reservation not rescheduling. I am not sure what she claims the difference is but the next agent was much more normal and completely helpful. It was the oddest calll especially for disney

Yeah, I've been trying to keep things as simplified as possible so more people can understand it without thinking too hard about it :rotfl2:

That's a big reason why I listed several elements I weighed in making my decision :). I don't expire until December myself so I've got leeway. I might think differently if I expired soon (but not so soon I wouldn't get the full closure time added; that's a whole other situation to consider). But I also might not. I hate losing value, but I might lose more if I couldn't go during the added time in that scenario.

It's a very personal decision everyone has to make. I just hoped to offer some points not all may have considered :)

Definitely! That's why I appreciated the questions you posed so much. Thank you for listing those points. There's a lot to consider. Another factor for me is that I've already used my AP enough where I more than broke even, which helps. In normal times, extending my pass wouldn't even be a question. But sadly, we're so far from normal times. :( While I thought I knew my decision, reading your post still caused me to weigh options a little more. And even then, part of me is still on the fence!

I think Iger's statement is a bit of 'virus theatre' akin to the 'security theatre' where the visual of a bag check (or temp check) makes people feel 'safer' than they actually are. Most of us get ill because we are too close to people who aren't yet showing symptoms of illness. Screening for fevers isn't going to do a thing for that.

And honestly, with the way DL is about 'unhappy guests' they'd be more afraid of the negative PR of turning away some sniffly, sneezy person (especially a child) at the turnstile than taking the chance that another guest becomes ill. The measles cases certainly didn't change anything (I'm not comparing the two, just saying).

I think Iger's statement is a bit of 'virus theatre' akin to the 'security theatre' where the visual of a bag check (or temp check) makes people feel 'safer' than they actually are. Most of us get ill because we are too close to people who aren't yet showing symptoms of illness. Screening for fevers isn't going to do a thing for that.

And honestly, with the way DL is about 'unhappy guests' they'd be more afraid of the negative PR of turning away some sniffly, sneezy person (especially a child) at the turnstile than taking the chance that another guest becomes ill. The measles cases certainly didn't change anything (I'm not comparing the two, just saying).

I agree 💯. measles is, I believe, ten times more contagious than COVID. I can’t remember the exact statistics, but it’s a lot more contagious. We are just protected because of herd immunity because most people get vaccines. This is why keeping the vaccine level high is so important..... So hopefully when they develop a vaccine for COVID, everyone gets it. And it doesn’t mutate like the flu.

There have been many stories online today about how Gov. Newsom is sticking to a mid-pay peak for California. If mid-May truly is the peak, then it'll be hard for Disneyland to open at the beginning of June.

Good news is that "the latest models" predict an earlier and lower peak than what Newsom is working on. Quote emphasis is mine since "the models" have almost always been wrong.

There have been many stories online today about how Gov. Newsom is sticking to a mid-pay peak for California. If mid-May truly is the peak, then it'll be hard for Disneyland to open at the beginning of June.

Good news is that "the latest models" predict an earlier and lower peak than what Newsom is working on. Quote emphasis is mine since "the models" have almost always been wrong.
Sweet! I suspect a decent number of people still employed have already hit “mid-pay” so I’ll see everyone at DLR week after next? ;)

Unfortunately, the virus has been mutating. DD, a scientist, has stated it’s already known that whatever vaccine is developed won’t protect everyone from the diverse mutations.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-to-know-about-mutation-and-covid-19

The article quoted states "The mutations likely won’t interfere with the effectiveness of the COVID-19 vaccine," and that aligns with the Science article they cite. I think that only once a safe vaccine is widely available will things return close to normal for DLR. I agree that taking temperatures won't prevent spread from asymptomatic people... could Disney require every to wear masks or coverings once they reopen to lower risk of transmission?

Thank you for posting information that encourages a healthy perspective. It is important to look at both sides of the coin to understand this virus; its impact for bad and to supply hope. The current known US infection rate is very low (today's count is 374,329), because our population is the 3rd largest in the world, at 331,883,986, which makes the known (diagnosed) infection rate around 0.0011, or one one thousandth of a percent. Even factoring in the asymptomatic and others who weren't tested, it would take a great factor to rise that rate above 1%. This is why the stay at home orders and social distancing are *very* effective, because most people are (reasonably) compliant and the number infected is low. To spread the virus, it would take a factor of infected x non-compliant (which combined makes a smaller number) to be in proximity and successfully infect another non-compliant person. The infection rate will increase once the at home orders are lifted, but will rise slower than the initial infection rates because much of the herd will still comply with hand washing, distancing, not touching face, masks, etc. All of that minimizes the infection risk, even if you are near a sick person. Even with all of my hopeful thoughts, it is out of Pandoras Box and it will spread. Back to being positive, it will be easier for doctors to manage the caseload once we get past the initial wave of patients and because doctors are on a promising treatment path. We know a lot more now than 4 weeks ago. And vulnerable people will continue to self quarantine at their discretion.

The earliest date that Disneyland will open will be dependent on California's Governor. It could remain closed beyond the lifting of the stay at home order, but it wouldn't be much longer because even Disney Parks can collapse with zero attendance, if given enough time.

I think people will have to make individual determinations to attend, based on their risk factors. The virus disproportionately affects infants, the elderly, and persons with preexisting conditions like hypertension, diabetes, lung diseases. Those people would prudently choose not go until vaccinations are available and the virus is not in an active season. And you don't visit grandma after a Disneyland trip. She may shut the door on your face! 😁

Last edited:
How are people going about requesting the alternative option for Annual Passholders? Is the only way to call in? Any reports of how long that is taking?

The article quoted states "The mutations likely won’t interfere with the effectiveness of the COVID-19 vaccine," and that aligns with the Science article they cite. I think that only once a safe vaccine is widely available will things return close to normal for DLR. I agree that taking temperatures won't prevent spread from asymptomatic people... could Disney require every to wear masks or coverings once they reopen to lower risk of transmission?

Good question! I think they will create themed masks to tie in with CM costumes, for their protection. Not sure about guests, but I wouldn't put it past them to sell awesome Disney themed masks. Imagine having a Darth Vader mask! Or pretty fabric ones with Mary Blair IASW-inspired patterns. Haunted Mansion wallpaper! Marketing masks would increase the mask wearer numbers.

Good question! I think they will create themed masks to tie in with CM costumes, for their protection. Not sure about guests, but I wouldn't put it past them to sell awesome Disney themed masks. Imagine having a Darth Vader mask! Or pretty fabric ones with Mary Blair IASW-inspired patterns. Haunted Mansion wallpaper! Marketing masks would increase the mask wearer numbers.
We went to Tokyo Disneyland a couple of years ago and they already sell Disney themed masks, so definitely a possibility!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter