• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure and Reopening, 3/14/20 - 7/17/20: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo from the SF East Bay (Contra Costa County) :rotfl:

I was in Costco when this news broke. It went from relatively sane to somewhere between double to triple the people. And quite a few more rude people (someone kept getting too close to me and ended up slamming their cart into my handle bars from behind me; barely missed hitting my hand). I booked it out of there with the few things I went in to get (important things like Mexicoke and Dr Pepper :cool1:).

I also had to stop by the Disney store today to do an exchange I've been putting off. Manager said that they found out late last night too about the closure of the stores without much notice before the emails went out.

All my work is officially not happening right now except for some budget work from home tomorrow for my main job. But then I'm basically twiddling my thumbs because I can't work from home on most things. We're not even allowed in our office building starting at midnight tonight. I hope I remembered everything I might need in the next couple weeks :crazy2:
A mom at work told me about this! Good luck! My job too is now officially remote. You can go back to get supplies if you need them but basically they want you to stay away

Yo from the SF East Bay (Contra Costa County) :rotfl:

I was in Costco when this news broke. It went from relatively sane to somewhere between double to triple the people. And quite a few more rude people (someone kept getting too close to me and ended up slamming their cart into my handle bars from behind me; barely missed hitting my hand). I booked it out of there with the few things I went in to get (important things like Mexicoke and Dr Pepper :cool1:).

I also had to stop by the Disney store today to do an exchange I've been putting off. Manager said that they found out late last night too about the closure of the stores without much notice before the emails went out.

All my work is officially not happening right now except for some budget work from home tomorrow for my main job. But then I'm basically twiddling my thumbs because I can't work from home on most things. We're not even allowed in our office building starting at midnight tonight. I hope I remembered everything I might need in the next couple weeks :crazy2:
Hi From the East bay (Alameda County Represent!)

Wife sent me to Safeway right after the news hit. Two words to describe: in. sane.

However, everyone was very polite, at least. I stood there in line for 40 minutes to check out thinking "Can't go to Disnelyland, but at least I can wait in line" I also wondered at the logic of heading to a crowded store right after being told a shelter in place was coming.

Just got the email from work that our site is shutting down for the duration. For better or worse, my function can be done from home.

San Mateo County here. Just went to Whole Foods and they are metering entry- one customer in, one customer out. Kinda nice inside the store and at least gives you a chance of not being smashed up against others. Especially since I went to the entrance in the below ground parking garage only to find there was NO line to get in down there. Only had to wait about 30 seconds for someone to come out...

My job is 100% remote anyway... but working from home full time when my husband and 3 kids are also doing so is a whole different ball game...

Hi From the East bay (Alameda County Represent!)

Wife sent me to Safeway right after the news hit. Two words to describe: in. sane.

However, everyone was very polite, at least. I stood there in line for 40 minutes to check out thinking "Can't go to Disnelyland, but at least I can wait in line" I also wondered at the logic of heading to a crowded store right after being told a shelter in place was coming.

Just got the email from work that our site is shutting down for the duration. For better or worse, my function can be done from home.

Oh! Hello, neighbor! My work is in Alameda county! Or at least our offices are. Theatre space is in Contra Costa county. I can't remember if I've mentioned my work name before, but it's the theatre that's on the east side of the Caldecott. Not hard to figure out, but I don't want to blatantly say my work's name right now.

Yeah, I was only at Costco to get soda for me so I stop drinking the supply of what my mom likes and to look for rice for a couple friends who can't go out. It was totally fine before the announcement. I guess people missed the "you can go out for essentials" part of the mandate? I'm on call for all of my mom's friends (especially the ones closer to her age) and several of mine to do essential errands as needed. Might as well be. Not like I have work for three weeks :rotfl2: . I am going to get so much cleaning done being cooped up.

I did get lucky with lines, though. Maybe 10 minutes max. And most of that time was people having to give up extras they bought (Costco has gone to a max quantity of one per item; this included even things that haven't been running low). I don't know what it looked like after the crazy "we got a shelter in place, let's go shopping" crowd finally got in line, though.

Hey everyone, I regretfully must drop this comment and run because everything is chaos, but I received the message below from Lansky's and it tugged at my heartstrings. We will be taking advantage of this option for our rescheduled August trip. For anyone else who was scheduled to use Lansky's but has been forced to cancel, you may wish to see if it makes sense for you as well.

"Lansky has been monitoring the latest updates concerning the COVID-19 outbreak and its impact locally and worldwide.

First and foremost, I sincerely wish you and your loved ones well during this time.

As it has been our Company’s refund policy to provide 100% refund for any cancellations made 3 hours prior to the scheduled trip, we are continuing to honor this policy.

However, as there has been a tremendous increased amount of cancellations, we are offering another alternative option to receive credit for your trip.

If you choose to receive a credit(store credit) for your trip instead of a refund, which is valid for 3 years from issue day, we will give you a 10% discount for your trip.

Also, you can get a refund anytime upon your request.

By opting in to take this option, you are saving this small business, the economy and also receiving a 10% discount for your trip.

I sincerely request that you consider taking this option to help save our Company during this uncertain time so that we can all get through this together.

Thank you for your continued patronage and please stay healthy."

I’m from Contra Costa County. I’m less panicked about the situation as a whole then wondering what I’m gonna do for three weeks possibly more just in my home. I get stir crazy so easily. I know it’s for the best but not moving around outside and socializing as I normally do will take getting used to.

Will they be working on refurbishments and continuing to build Avengers Campus during this time? If they aren’t, could Avengers Campus be opening later?

Ugh, today the anxiety hit me hard.

I’m worried, sad, and already sick of being in the house. I’m a single mom so being quarantined with no other adults is a bit difficult. My son, however, is in Fortnite heaven. 😅

I hope the Disney bloggers keep posting but I suppose what would they even post about? Either way, gotta take it day by day.

I did see a WDW blogger post that they’re still working hard on Cinderella’s castle so I’d assume they’re hard at work over at Disneyland too? Seems silly not to?

I’m from Contra Costa County. I’m less panicked about the situation as a whole then wondering what I’m gonna do for three weeks possibly more just in my home. I get stir crazy so easily. I know it’s for the best but not moving around outside and socializing as I normally do will take getting used to.

Hello fellow Contra Costa neighbor! I feel like I'm getting to know just how close many of us actually live to each other, lol!

I think my mom is planning to do walks in our neighborhood (since that's still allowed as long as it's not a part of a group) and chat with her BFF on her phone who will also be walking in her in neighborhood in a different part of the Bay.

We're also going to take advantage of the Animation Academy YouTube videos for some Disney art magic fun.

A friend and I discussed Skyping and then watching a movie together over Skype.

It also helps we really, REALLY need to do some serious spring cleaning. So we've got a lot to keep us busy.

None of that might be up your alley, but just a few ways we're planning to keep ourselves sane :)

Update on DTD: What is open and what is closed --

From the MP page for Disney Closure Updates, https://mouseplanet.com/12608/Walt_Disney_Company_Operational_Responses_to_COVID19…(3/16/20):

Downtown Disney operates with modified operating hours of 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on March 16.
Shops
All Disney-owned and operated stores in Downtown Disney will close as of Tuesday, March 17. This closing includes the flagship World of Disney store, as well as The Disney Dress Shop; Disney Home; Disney Pin Traders; Marceline's Confectionery and WonderGround Gallery.
Individual shops and restaurants may have different operating hours and/or may close entirely.
Sephora announced that it is closing its store effective at 5 p.m. on March 17.
Restaurants
On March 15, California recommended all bars and pubs to close, including wine bars and breweries. Restaurants which remain open should reduce their occupancy by half, and the state encourages these businesses to offer take-out and curbside delivery.
The Downtown Disney East Starbucks location has closed, but the West Starbucks location remains open for take-out only.
Black Tap Burgers closed at the end of the business day on March 16.
Splitsville Luxury Lanes closed at 4:00 p.m. on March 16.
All of the Patina Group restaurants in Downtown Disney closed at the end of the business day on March 16. This includes:
  • Catal Restaurant
  • Uva Bar & Cafe
  • Naples Ristorante
  • Napolini
  • Tortilla Jo's
  • Taqueria at Tortilla Jo's
La Brea Bakery closed at the end of the business day on March 16.
Ballast Point Brewing closed at the end of the business day on March 16.
Sprinkles closed at 8:00 p.m. on March 16.
We have not found official statements from the following restaurants, but the Disneyland website lists them as closed effective March 17:
  • Asian Street Eats
  • Earl of Sandwich
  • Jamba
At this time, it appears the only restaurant that will open at Downtown Disney is Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. In a statement posted on the company website, restauranteur Ralph Brennan says, "Ralph Brennan Restaurant Group remains committed to its patrons in providing a safe environment as we continue to be open for business."

Hey everyone, I regretfully must drop this comment and run because everything is chaos, but I received the message below from Lansky's and it tugged at my heartstrings. We will be taking advantage of this option for our rescheduled August trip. For anyone else who was scheduled to use Lansky's but has been forced to cancel, you may wish to see if it makes sense for you as well.

"Lansky has been monitoring the latest updates concerning the COVID-19 outbreak and its impact locally and worldwide.

First and foremost, I sincerely wish you and your loved ones well during this time.

As it has been our Company’s refund policy to provide 100% refund for any cancellations made 3 hours prior to the scheduled trip, we are continuing to honor this policy.

However, as there has been a tremendous increased amount of cancellations, we are offering another alternative option to receive credit for your trip.

If you choose to receive a credit(store credit) for your trip instead of a refund, which is valid for 3 years from issue day, we will give you a 10% discount for your trip.

Also, you can get a refund anytime upon your request.

By opting in to take this option, you are saving this small business, the economy and also receiving a 10% discount for your trip.

I sincerely request that you consider taking this option to help save our Company during this uncertain time so that we can all get through this together.

Thank you for your continued patronage and please stay healthy."
Thank you for posting this -- Lansky's is a good company that needs our support! And I'm glad to see that you managed to grab a few moments to post. Sending good thoughts your way! Hope your son is doing better today.

I get Disney extending tickets, and that's fine for locals and those of us who would be able to schedule a trip at a later date. But what about people for whom it really was a 'once in a lifetime' trip? There are people who, for whatever reason, will not be in a position to rebook. Especially if their jobs are affected and they end up using the vacation money for living expenses.

For those who were going to WDW or DL and are 'regulars' at the other park (or could more easily get to it) I think Disney should allow them to apply the 'face value' to tickets for the other park.

I think as this situation continues, we're going to see changes to Disney's policies. Just like we're seeing updates to the Disney COVID-19 response page pretty much daily now. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that Disney decides to make more adjustments and accommodations in the future.
And Disney does work with guests on an individual basis when it comes to refunding tickets. (Although now clearly isn't the greatest time to try to contact Guest Services to discuss this.) We've experienced this in the past -- and Disney did refund our tickets (quite willingly) -- so I know it can be done in certain cases.

I’m worried, sad, and already sick of being in the house. I’m a single mom so being quarantined with no other adults is a bit difficult.
That sounds tough indeed. I just wanted to suggest that you get together online with your associates. My book club, spiritual gatherings and lunch dates are still gathering, but online via Zoom. We will all be in our homes, but still holding meetings/activities at set times on the computer.

My birthday will be during this time. I wasn't even planning anything, but now I think I am going to hold a birthday party online. It might just be a movie, but it's something to look forward to.

Also from Contra Costa County....Martinez to be exact. My DH got up Monday morning and headed to the grocery store at 6:15AM. He said the lines were to the back of the store.....I headed to Sam's Club at 10AM.......lines were not too bad. For the most part people were being friendly....a couple of rude people here and there, but that is usually the norm. I was surprised they had butter and bread in stock.

We are all set food wise. I have to go into work...apparently we are considered essential...although I think that is a stretch. But I am just happy to have a job still. And I worry that I might not at the end of all this...Also concerned that my kids have no school and it looks like that as of now, any school work they do will not count towards their grades. I am really hoping the district is working towards having them complete schoolwork that will count towards their trimester so they will not have to make up all of this time off. I am grateful my DH can work remotely during this time.

Also my bday is Thursday and I think it will be the first time in my 40 years that I will not see my parents for that. I have told them to stay home as my mom is immunocomprimised and I don't want her taking any unnecessary risks. So I am a little bit sad about that....=(

Ugh, today the anxiety hit me hard.

I’m worried, sad, and already sick of being in the house. I’m a single mom so being quarantined with no other adults is a bit difficult. My son, however, is in Fortnite heaven. 😅

I hope the Disney bloggers keep posting but I suppose what would they even post about? Either way, gotta take it day by day.

I did see a WDW blogger post that they’re still working hard on Cinderella’s castle so I’d assume they’re hard at work over at Disneyland too? Seems silly not to?
Do a virtual hang out! That’s what my friends and I are going to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter