Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure and Reopening, 3/14/20 - 7/17/20: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can't get confirmation on this. We were going for Dapper Days. We were told we'd get a full refund (I paid the hotel in full). My question is, if the resort remains closed, what happens to the discounted rate we got at GCH? Will Disney honor it when the resort reopens? Not interested in a refund. We just want the rate we got.
My guess is that you won't get that rate on different dates. The rate you paid was to attend the Dapper Days convention. No Dapper Days, no discount. If you go for the fall Dapper Day you'll get a similar rate again. That's my guess, Disney will have to decide, obviously. Good luck, I know those rates are amazing. It's usually the only time I stay on property.

My guess is that you won't get that rate on different dates. The rate you paid was to attend the Dapper Days convention. No Dapper Days, no discount. If you go for the fall Dapper Day you'll get a similar rate again. That's my guess, Disney will have to decide, obviously. Good luck, I know those rates are amazing. It's usually the only time I stay on property.

Yeah, more than likely. Such a bummer. If that's the case, we'll likely end up going to WDW. We loved our 1 trip to Disneyland, but petty as it sounds, I'll only stay at the GCH or Disneyland Hotel, both of which are laughingly too expensive without a discount.

Has this been posted? It is so silly, but I completely cried while watching. What a wonderful send off.

Ugh NEVERMIND. The site is blocked. Anyway, if you can find the video it’s worth watching.

Last edited:
My emotions were all over the place yesterday. So I did stop by the DLR yesterday. Got there around 4 and stayed till 11. It started off amazing with minimal standby waits for basically everything and with max pass you never had more than a 15 min wait for anything. I went there with a mission to experience all the things I love about Disneyland because we don't know how long it will be closed. It could be months before it's opened again. I know for some of you that's no big deal and in the grand scheme of things it really isn't for me either. Safety comes first. But for someone like me who goes pretty much every week, it's gonna feel strange not having the option to go. When it comes to my mission I left satisfied by accomplishing everything on my list (fav rides, WoC, Fantasmic, eating upstairs in the Golden Horseshoe) but as I was walking down Main Street on my way home, I couldn't help but feel sad. Not knowing when I would be back in a place I love and have gotten used to visiting so much left me with an empty feeling. I probably would have actually broke down and cried a little if I stayed until midnight and saw all the characters and CM's waiving goodbye.

My emotions were all over the place yesterday. So I did stop by the DLR yesterday. Got there around 4 and stayed till 11. It started off amazing with minimal standby waits for basically everything and with max pass you never had more than a 15 min wait for anything. I went there with a mission to experience all the things I love about Disneyland because we don't know how long it will be closed. It could be months before it's opened again. I know for some of you that's no big deal and in the grand scheme of things it really isn't for me either. Safety comes first. But for someone like me who goes pretty much every week, it's gonna feel strange not having the option to go. When it comes to my mission I left satisfied by accomplishing everything on my list (fav rides, WoC, Fantasmic, eating upstairs in the Golden Horseshoe) but as I was walking down Main Street on my way home, I couldn't help but feel sad. Not knowing when I would be back in a place I love and have gotten used to visiting so much left me with an empty feeling. I probably would have actually broke down and cried a little if I stayed until midnight and saw all the characters and CM's waiving goodbye.
I cried watching the videos of the characters and CM's waving. Someone even posted them locking the gates at 1am after everyone has the leave the stores on Main Street.

Why closing Disneyland is such a blow to American optimism

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...and-coronavirus-closure-reflects-america-mood

LA Times excerpt said:
And yet come Monday — following the closing of Disneyland Resort and earlier shutdowns in Asia — every single Disney theme park in the world is scheduled to be closed, and a global heartbeat that began in Anaheim will stop beating for the first time in our history. Vietnam, the AIDS crisis, the economic crash of 2008 and even the death of the park’s founder, Walt Disney, couldn’t stop Disneyland from humming.

If I had gone yesterday and stayed to see the CM and character goodbye, I totally would’ve lost it. Love your post, and I feel the exact same way. For us locals, going to Disneyland is a way of life. It’s continuity.... it’s ALWAYS there. It’s symbolic. I’m so glad I took my girls last Thursday. We had a wonderful perfect day with beautiful weather and no crowds. I figured it would be the last time we went for awhile, but even I didn’t see a closure within a week.

I apologize if someone else has posted this, but the closure of DLR has broken the streak for Disney Jeff, also known on Instagram as Disney366. He has been going to Disneyland every day for 2,995 days! His video showed him being the last one to leave the park, with the gates closing behind him as he walked into the esplanade. Wow!

Yea think about it, Disneyland is supposed to be a place to go where you can escape from the realities of everyday life. To get away from whatever is bringing you and the rest of the world down. Like Aurora said "it's ALWAYS there". Now with this Virus it's suddenly taken away from us all. Just sad times all around. No other way to put it

I’m trying to be positive.. but dang. Disney works just closed the college program, stating they need to leave by March 18. I do think it is very likely the parts will not be back open April 1st.
My son has a 105 fever and slight cough. It's not the flu or strep. We've been asked to voluntarily self isolate until March 30 even though we have NO risk factors, no known contacts with anyone infected, and he is under age 9. We are complying.

If I'm betting, I think Disney opens sometime around Memorial Day.

I apologize if someone else has posted this, but the closure of DLR has broken the streak for Disney Jeff, also known on Instagram as Disney366. He has been going to Disneyland every day for 2,995 days! His video showed him being the last one to leave the park, with the gates closing behind him as he walked into the esplanade. Wow!
So the door (almost) literally hit him on the way out :rotfl:

We had a non-refundable reservation at Clarion Inn Anaheim for next week.

On Thursday, Choice Hotel had posted on their site giving points instead of money back. It was a joke though, with 10000 points (enough for one night, give or take) for any reservation over 1 day. In my case, getting points for one night for a 3 night reservation. In the case of my borther-in-law, one night only for the 5 nights they were going to stay there.

Today, I called the hotel directly, asked if they could cancel and they did. The lady at reception (Chao?) mentioned we would be getting the money back in (up to) 60 days.

I would feel more comfortable if I had received an email on this, but I'll keep waiting.

I also got a voice mail from Disney cancelling my "Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour" and advising the money would be refunded as well...

My son has a 105 fever and slight cough. It's not the flu or strep. We've been asked to voluntarily self isolate until March 30 even though we have NO risk factors, no known contacts with anyone infected, and he is under age 9. We are complying.

If I'm betting, I think Disney opens sometime around Memorial Day.
Wow! I hope he’s OK! That’s a high fever. If it’s COVID-19 the good news is kids seem to fight it off really well. Sending prayers too you! I also have a 5-year-old son.

Last edited:
Disneyland's last day of operations was Friday March 13th due to the virus.
Disney plans to re-open Wednesday April 1st.

Friday the 13th???? April 1st?????
It's almost comical....
13th - bad luck
1st - April Fools day

We'll see how it goes over the next days and weeks.
Hoping for the best for everyone.

G

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter