Super Simple T-Shirt for the Craft-Impaired

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHSweb79

DIS Veteran
For all you non-crafters that would love to have matching T-shirts for your next trip, try these super easy Bleach Pen Tees. For a pdf instruction sheet, please PM me your email address.

PHOTO 1: Getting Started- Supplies

You will need: T-shirts in dark colors; Clorox Bleach Pens (found in the laundry aisle, about 1 for every 3 shirts); chalk; cardboard, large enough to fit inside the shirt; and two circles, cut out of heavy paper (for adult T's, 7.5" and 4.5" works well).

Supplies.jpg

PHOTO 2: The First Step

Wash and dry the shirt before you begin. Don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets, as these will leave residue on your fabric.

Slip cardboard up inside T-shirt, leaving the top about 2" below the collar. Place your circles in the classic Mickey head shape and trace around them with the chalk, of course using the ear twice.

Step1.jpg

PHOTO 3 - Applying the Bleach

Shake the bleach pen well. Using the fine-tipped side, draw very loose swirls inside each circle, making sure to leave the stripes at least 3/4" apart, as some fabrics and colors suck up the bleach well beyond where it is applied.

Step2.jpg

Let the bleach sit for at least 10-15 minutes. The time needed will vary widely, depending on the color T-shirt, so try to take a peek underneath to see how light the stripes have gotten. Some shirts will really soak up the bleach and you can see it right from the top. Don't leave the bleach on too long or it will eat a hole right through the fabric!

Quickly rinse under cold water, making sure to squish out as much of the bleach as possible. At this point, I throw the wet T-shirt in a garbage bag while I make the next one. This way I can launder them all at once.

THE FINISHED RESULT:

IMG_0575.jpg

Here are a few tips I learned along the way:

1. Orange T-shirts do not bleach well, at least the ones I got at Joanne's Fabric (Jerzees, 50% Cotton, 50% Polyester). I went over it twice and left it on much longer than the other colors and you can still barely see the pattern. Bright yellow shirts do react to the bleach, but there is very little contrast so I'd avoid this color too.

2. If you don't think your stripes are light enough after washing & drying, you can repeat the bleach step. No need for chalk marks as you can just go over the lines that are already there.

3. Instead of cardboard, I use a flexible plastic cutting board, the kind you can get at the dollar store. Any cutting board or even a folded newspaper would work.

AND, a tip for anyone visiting from the Budget Board:

4. Bleach pens cost about $3 each. However, the fat end is easily removable, which means you can refill it. I'm willing to bet filling the pen with liquid or gel dishwasher detergent (read the side to make sure it contains bleach) or Soft Scrub with Bleach would work. Even the stuff from the Dollar Store should work, as long as it contains bleach and is thick enough to hold its shape on the fabric. I will try this and keep you posted!

A mixture of vinegar and water will immediately neutralize the bleach, so that you do not have to worry about continued bleaching or contact spots.:woohoo:

Good tip on the vinegar!

I thought I'd post pictures of the other colors I made. Here's the orange that didn't work, despite doing it twice:

Orange1.jpg

Here's the royal blue, after I did it twice:

Blue1.jpg

And here's the burgundy and red, which came out great after only 10 minutes of bleaching:

BurgRed.jpg

Super cool idea..with my luck, I wouldn't get the bleach on the shirt I want it on, because I think every good sweater, sweatshirt I have has bleach spots on them....they are really neat...

I've seen these done before but I want to thank you for the specific directions!! We'll be making these for our cruise over spring break. Thanks.

Loooooooooooove this idea! I will do one for DD and maybe myself.

I love this idea! Especially since I can see that it would be a great way to rescue a t-shirt that has a stain. Get a few more months use out of it before they outgrow it :)

Thanks for sharing and
Thanks for posting the directions,,I'm thinking of giving this a go this weekend.
Hugs Mel

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

That's a cute idea. I'm making the mickey tye dye shirts tonight. I'll make one of these too!

We're only going for four days so I'm trying not to make too many customized shirts. :)

We're leaving for Florida on Saturday (2/27) but only making a one-day trip to Animal Kingdom (with our GAD vouchers). I told my DD that I was putting the whole pile of bleach-pen shirts in our carry-on bag so that we would still be able to wear them if the airline lost our luggage! :rotfl:

It's an obsession....

We're leaving for Florida on Saturday (2/27) but only making a one-day trip to Animal Kingdom (with our GAD vouchers). I told my DD that I was putting the whole pile of bleach-pen shirts in our carry-on bag so that we would still be able to wear them if the airline lost our luggage! :rotfl:

It's an obsession....

Total obsession but I am so glad that I am not the only one! It makes me feel so much better when I see others thinking the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter