Suncream

Bonnie

DIS Veteran
This is a bit of a strange, very general question, but it is related to our DLRP trip so I thought I might get away with asking it here. :blush:

We are wondering what type of suncream to buy for our trip in two weeks. (Actually less than two weeks now! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: ) The "factor" thing means nothing to either of us and we're having trouble understanding it at all! We're both very pale people who burn easily, so I don't know what to get.

Any ideas? :confused3

Good morning Bonnie! :flower:
Being blessed with fair english rose skin i am of the opinion that the sun actually bleaches me whiter :rotfl: .
I burn quie easily & don't really tan at all so I always use a high factor, normally nothing under a factor 30 for myself. Now we a little one I have been getting a factor 50 or 60 for her & I sometime share that.
Factor 50 & 60 are pretty much total sunblock. I would have thought you would probably be ok with a 25 or 30 if you burn quite easily. :sunny:
Hope this is of some use!

The factor refers to how long the cream lasts, basically. From what dermatologists have told me, one of the things that always gets people is that they buy a cream with a high factor and then forget to re-apply later on, since they think the cream is still lasting. Even with a high factor, they don't last all day.

From what I've also heard, the most effective creams are ones that have titanium dioxide as an active ingredient.

My DD's and I are all fairskinned and we all use Ambre Solaire. I have tried so many different suncreams over the years on them and find this is the best one for us in that

1) There's lots of choice in their range. At the moment I've got the Kids Ultra Protection Milk factor 60 and Sun Screen Sensitive Skin Milk factor 60 but I will buy either of these ranges in factor 30 or above. I prefer the milk to total sunblock as I find it rubs in more easily but is just as effective.
2) My eldest DD used to suffer quite badly from eczma as a baby and Ambre Solaire was the only sun cream that didn't trigger an attack off.
3) I find it doesn't stain clothing and is also non-greasy so you can put it on first thing in the morning and then just top it up as needed during the day.
4) Don't forget to top it up if it is very hot, we still all get tanned through it except it is a healthy glow rather than looking like a lobster which is usually what happened to me as a child!!! :rotfl2:

If you have an Asda near to you they sell it very cheaply for less than £5 a bottle.

One thing I hate with suncream is having to carry it around & then the messiness of re-applying, so I've got regualr lotion kind to slap on in the morning before we set off & some sun cream wipes/towlettes to carry with us for applying during the day.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone! We ended up getting some Ambre Solaire factor 20, the "non-greasy" spray kind, and some Ambre Solaire After Sun stuff free with it. (Boots BOGOF.)

::MinnieMo ::MinnieMo Thanks!

You bargin hunting devil you!!! We always go with a high factor as the boys are both ginger tops and burn really easily. I never buy a cheap brand and the minimum is SF 30 - er except when I forgot it on the last trip! I think judging by the weather report for our next trip we will be using SF minus 8 !!!! or better yet rust repellant!! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter