Sun, Shopping, Sand, Surf, Sweat & Shamu: A Splashin Summertime Sabbatical at SVR!

I have loved reading your trip report Gina, thanks for sharing :)
We leave today for the USA, arriving in Orlando on Wed (after 2 nights at LAX) and staying for 17 nights at the SVR, so excited!

It is over! :( But, like I told you earlier, great work! :) Because of this TR, we've decided to do two full weeks in Florida, hitting many of the spots you guys visited too.

Are you going to do another TR for your upcoming vacation?

Gina thanks very much for sharing, I've loved reading along. You always welcome everyone to your trip reports and that is always refreshing and for me always welcoming :thumbsup2

I will keep an eye out for your next one :goodvibes

The saga of the stuffed dolphin! I imagine they are used to that at MCO. :)

Thanks for a great trip report. Looking forward to your next one!

Hee hee....yes, I bet more than one family has towed one of those humonstrous items home. What we don't do for our kids ;) .

Thanks for reading along, and hanging in there all the way to the end!

:sad1: It's over! What a joy it has been to read about the adventures of your family (as always!!!). Thank you for so many hours of entertainment and living vicariously through your trip:goodvibes.
You family is lovely, and it was great to "meet" sweetie. I'll be reading through this more than a few times before we leave for our trip, I'm sure.
Once again, you've outdone yourself and I, and many others, thank you for letting us come along for the journey.:hug:

Aw, thank you my friend! :goodvibes This report wouldn't have been the same if you hadn't joined in, too!

I can't wait to hear about your adventures at SVR in a couple of months. It will be my turn to live vicariously through YOU for a while! :thumbsup2

I have loved reading your trip report Gina, thanks for sharing :)
We leave today for the USA, arriving in Orlando on Wed (after 2 nights at LAX) and staying for 17 nights at the SVR, so excited!

Thanks so much, Caroline. I hope you have a safe journey, fantastic weather, and an AMAZING time! 17 nights at SVR sounds like pure heaven to me!! :)

It is over! :( But, like I told you earlier, great work! :) Because of this TR, we've decided to do two full weeks in Florida, hitting many of the spots you guys visited too.

Are you going to do another TR for your upcoming vacation?

Thanks, pigletgirl! :goodvibes

I am reasonably sure I will do another trip report (I have such fun writing them) and who knows? Maybe even a pre-trip report to help pass the time :) . I will post the link here if I decide to get a PTR underway.

Gina thanks very much for sharing, I've loved reading along. You always welcome everyone to your trip reports and that is always refreshing and for me always welcoming :thumbsup2

I will keep an eye out for your next one :goodvibes

Thank you, my friend, for being part of the last 55+ pages! You guys all deserve a medal for listing to my drivel that long :rotfl2: .

Its been a blast :thumbsup2 .

I am reading it and am sad :( most of our vacations are usually 12 - 14 days. This surprise Xmas trip is only 7 nights. We were very lucky we could only go from Dec 20th to 27th, never thought we would get decent flight prices being we booked late and low and behold about 2 weeks after deciding we would keep an eye on flights on Friday morning both days $113 each way. From Buf to Orlando. Booked them asap.
We have a great flight down at 9:35 am. Home it is like you, late at 8:15 pm. I think I am going to crack and book the extra day at the resort. I figure we can hang out that way.
Loving your trip report. We ended up just down from Vistana at Grand Beach. We got a 3 BDRM and am very excited. My Dad is healing well from his surgery and his focus is getting better to join us in the sun. Tough guy he is at 81.

Sorry Gina, a little OT for your trip report, but we're going to be at Grand Beach in a 3 bedroom December 20-27 too! This is a bonus trip for us as we'll be in Orlando for Thanksgiving at Windsor Hills, but the way the holiday falls this year I had 3 days off Christmas week so we figured we'd take the other 2 days off if we could find a decent rental for the week. Started stalking eBay and we got Grand Beach for $600. Figured it was meant to be. We'll get a bonus trip on our WDW APs and we'll get to see SIL and family for the holidays as they live in Davenport. And anything warmer than 60 degrees will be a bonus for us as I'm sure it will be well below freezing in Chicago when we leave.

Hope you enjoy your trip! :thumbsup2

And Gina, thank you so much for sharing your amazing trip with us. We were in Orlando from 8/23 - 8/30 at WBC but we did the Disney parks exclusively. It was so much fun to see all of the other parks/adventures in your trip report. This is the first (and probably only) time that we've had APs to WDW so we're trying to get as much use out of them as we can. After they expire in April, 2015 we will activate our US/IOA passes for our August, 2015 trip. Maybe we'll run into you and your crew at some point!

Gina,

I have to say - you are an incredibly gracious and kind momma in-law figure. I am 39 and would love to have a MIL as wonderful as you. You seem so patient with everyone.

You definitely did the right thing going home the night your flight returned. Two summers ago, I made the mistake of leaving my luggage in the parking lot of a Buffalo hotel. We drove Toronto that day to continue our vacation. Around midnight, I realized I had no luggage. We left early the next day and it took us SIX(!) hours to cross because it was Canada Day/July4th weekend. It sucked.

After seeing all your pictures of Sea World, I'm actually EXCITED to go. We had snow (flurries) here in Chicago yesterday, so Tuesday morning cannot come soon enough. We're staying at the Grand Cypress. It should be interesting spending a week with a three year-old. :rolleyes1

Gr8t Fan said:
Sorry Gina, a little OT for your trip report, but we're going to be at Grand Beach in a 3 bedroom December 20-27 too! This is a bonus trip for us as we'll be in Orlando for Thanksgiving at Windsor Hills, but the way the holiday falls this year I had 3 days off Christmas week so we figured we'd take the other 2 days off if we could find a decent rental for the week. Started stalking eBay and we got Grand Beach for $600. Figured it was meant to be. We'll get a bonus trip on our WDW APs and we'll get to see SIL and family for the holidays as they live in Davenport. And anything warmer than 60 degrees will be a bonus for us as I'm sure it will be well below freezing in Chicago when we leave.

Hope you enjoy your trip! :thumbsup2

And Gina, thank you so much for sharing your amazing trip with us. We were in Orlando from 8/23 - 8/30 at WBC but we did the Disney parks exclusively. It was so much fun to see all of the other parks/adventures in your trip report. This is the first (and probably only) time that we've had APs to WDW so we're trying to get as much use out of them as we can. After they expire in April, 2015 we will activate our US/IOA passes for our August, 2015 trip. Maybe we'll run into you and your crew at some point!

See you there Grt8. We are there the exact same dates in a 3 BDRM. It was a bonus trip for us too. My Dad had lung cancer and had a lobe removed on Sept 11th. We wanted too see how he was before we booked anything. We had flights booked but booked Southwest knowing we could use them for our March Vacay if we couldn't go in Dec. So looking for a resort was the latest challenge. Secured a 3 BDRM at Grand Beach. Then back again in March for 13 days.

Gina, you are perfectly describing that last day feeling.

Our favourite way of passing the last day when we have a late flight is to pack up the car, then head to the pool for a final bake; maybe not possible with the stormy weather, but if Mother Nature cooperates it's heaven. Vistana is happy to let you use the facilities for your entire last day, even after check out. They have great change rooms near the pool, so just pop in for a change into your travel garb and head for the airport when the time arrives. Sometimes it is the only relaxing we get to do the whole week!

We are switching things up this year, moving our trips from our customary end of August (which were originally planned to work around Jake's high school and work schedules) to May and October in 2015. After 3 back-to-back Augusts, it is going to be super weird to go at a different time of year!! We're on a mission to try out ever single month....with January, August and December all conquered, and May and October on next year's horizon, we'll be almost half way through :thumbsup2 .

We are super excited to return to Universal on these next few trips, since we haven't been there since January 2012. I can't wait to see all the changes, especially Diagon Alley!

Gina,

I have to say - you are an incredibly gracious and kind momma in-law figure. I am 39 and would love to have a MIL as wonderful as you. You seem so patient with everyone.

You definitely did the right thing going home the night your flight returned. Two summers ago, I made the mistake of leaving my luggage in the parking lot of a Buffalo hotel. We drove Toronto that day to continue our vacation. Around midnight, I realized I had no luggage. We left early the next day and it took us SIX(!) hours to cross because it was Canada Day/July4th weekend. It sucked.

After seeing all your pictures of Sea World, I'm actually EXCITED to go. We had snow (flurries) here in Chicago yesterday, so Tuesday morning cannot come soon enough. We're staying at the Grand Cypress. It should be interesting spending a week with a three year-old. :rolleyes1

I have always vowed I would do my best to be a friend to Jake's sweethearts (whoever they may be) rather than a foe. I have yearned for that kind of relationship with my own MIL, but I've always fallen short of her expectations. I can grow to love and accept anyone that shows love and tenderness to my boy :goodvibes .

Snow flurries....oh my! :scared: . None of the white stuff for us yet, but I know its not far off. You will have a ball at SeaWorld, and I envy you having a little one to enjoy the park with! I would have given my eye teeth to spend more time in Shamu's Happy Harbour ::yes:: . I am going to have to borrow someone's preschooler for a future visit :rotfl: .

Our favourite way of passing the last day when we have a late flight is to pack up the car, then head to the pool for a final bake; maybe not possible with the stormy weather, but if Mother Nature cooperates it's heaven. Vistana is happy to let you use the facilities for your entire last day, even after check out. They have great change rooms near the pool, so just pop in for a change into your travel garb and head for the airport when the time arrives. Sometimes it is the only relaxing we get to do the whole week!

lol, I think that's my problem. Being relaxed on our going home day is impossible for me to achieve. I would be figity within the first half an hour (and fretting about whether I'd be able to properly dry and straighten my hair when it was time to go.....yes, I am that pathetic).

I definitely need more of a "keep the mind and body busy" kind of approach on departure day. For Steve's sake as much as mine :lmao: . It makes me less sad and broody.

Thanks for another fun TR Gina. I always enjoy visiting our favorite place vicariously through you! I'm sure we will work in a few of your experiences into our upcoming March experience. You know, I really should put a ticker on for this trip, it is finally starting to come into the focus at less than 6 months out.

We are switching things up this year, moving our trips from our customary end of August (which were originally planned to work around Jake's high school and work schedules) to May and October in 2015. After 3 back-to-back Augusts, it is going to be super weird to go at a different time of year!! We're on a mission to try out ever single month....with January, August and December all conquered, and May and October on next year's horizon, we'll be almost half way through :thumbsup2 .

I have always vowed I would do my best to be a friend to Jake's sweethearts (whoever they may be) rather than a foe. I have yearned for that kind of relationship with my own MIL, but I've always fallen short of her expectations. I can grow to love and accept anyone that shows love and tenderness to my boy :goodvibes .

I would be figity within the first half an hour (and fretting about whether I'd be able to properly dry and straighten my hair when it was time to go.....yes, I am that pathetic).

We have covered 6 months so far... need to move more into spring and fall. Perhaps October next year.

I think it's a lot easier to have a nice relationship with your child's significant other when you have a son. Long twisted story with our oldest....basically not good. Our youngest...so far no one for her :banana: but I'm fairly sure that it will be good with who ever she brings home. She is much more protective of mom and dad than her sister.

Hair...nothing at all wrong with needing to look a certain way.:worship:

Thanks again Gina, it was a great summer/fall read! Started way back in July! Was like reading a novel with a great ending. Will look for your next report, you know you cannot stop now?

Gina I am sorry the tr is over but happy your vacation was another great one. I wish ours was soon, but alas we finally have a flight booked for April 7. Can hardly wait. So far all we have booked is a hockey game in Tampa, their last regular game. Blue man group is sounding like it may be another choice along with the mini golf and meal deal that you did. Will have to start some serious planning soon. I may have to call on you for some pointers

Loved reading your TR Gina! Although it's sad reading the end of your trip report...I know there will be many more in the future...at least 2 in 2015. We head down in March 2015...never been during such a crowded time. We'll have a blast either way! Thanks for sharing Gina I look forward to your next TR adventure:thumbsup2

Thanks for another fun TR Gina. I always enjoy visiting our favorite place vicariously through you! I'm sure we will work in a few of your experiences into our upcoming March experience. You know, I really should put a ticker on for this trip, it is finally starting to come into the focus at less than 6 months out.

Thanks for all your contributions to this report, my friend. You are always an entertaining fellow to have along :goodvibes.

I can't wait to hear about your next trip to SVR. By the time you come home from your vacation, I'll be gearing up for mine. :banana:

And yes....get that ticker added!

Hair...nothing at all wrong with needing to look a certain way.:worship:

:hug: I knew you would understand!

Thanks again Gina, it was a great summer/fall read! Started way back in July! Was like reading a novel with a great ending. Will look for your next report, you know you cannot stop now?

Thank you for hanging in there, from start to finish!!

lol, I can't believe I kept yakking for almost 3 months :crazy2:....holy moly, I do talk alot!! :faint:

Gina I am sorry the tr is over but happy your vacation was another great one. I wish ours was soon, but alas we finally have a flight booked for April 7. Can hardly wait. So far all we have booked is a hockey game in Tampa, their last regular game. Blue man group is sounding like it may be another choice along with the mini golf and meal deal that you did. Will have to start some serious planning soon. I may have to call on you for some pointers

Great TR, Gina! Looking forward to the next one.

(Let me be the first to recommend Kennedy Space Center. The Atlantis exhibit is not to be missed.)

Great TR, Gina! Looking forward to the next one.

(Let me be the first to recommend Kennedy Space Center. The Atlantis exhibit is not to be missed.)

Thank you nancipants :goodvibes .

The Kennedy Space Center is definitely an attraction we want to try some day ::yes::. This next vacation, its going to be vying for time versus the new Orlando Eye and Sea Life Aquarium, but hey...you never know!

Steve and I were just chatting last night while we were enjoying a swim in the Y pool about what other things we want to do in addition to our days at Universal. I always like to have an indoor thing or two on the back burner in the case of bad weather. I haven't heard about the Atlantis exhibit specifically but I'm off to check it out. Thanks for the recommend!! :thumbsup2

I'm a huge space nut, and I used to work at Kennedy Space Center. I've seen Atlantis three times now (we splurged for an annual pass last April) and cried buckets each time. The reveal is amazing. The Apollo/Saturn V center is also pretty great. I used to spend the night there when I worked Overnight Adventures. :)

Another great report.

With your spring and fall trips, you'll maybe convince me to travel then too. Have to wait until the kids are out of the house though.

Right now, as with any planned vacation so far, the kids think it's all about where they want to go. :rotfl2: I do have some say though.:rotfl::rotfl:

No holiday trip for us. The good thing is, we were not that bothered by the holiday crowds and had a really good time last Christmas. It gives me hope that if that's the only time we have to vacation in the next four years, I wouldn't mind it.

Heck, any time I can vacation is a good time. :thumbsup2

I just got home from my trip; I'd been keeping up with your TR while away but didn't want to reply from my phone because it's a pain in the rear end to do. Really sounds like it was all very wonderful and I'm glad that the whole trip came together so well. Can't believe your telling of your trip is over, and I can't believe I'm actually home from my trip as well. Time always moves just a little faster than you want it to!

Anyway, thank you so much again for the recommendation of SVR; I loved it and will cover my experiences in my TR, whenever I get it started. We've already discussed how we would stay there again, maybe next year...? ;) I don't know that I'd want to be ANYWHERE other than Fountains; we enjoyed it so much. We drove around looking at the others but ... I think it's Fountains for me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter