Sun Country fares

CapnJacksGirl

Mom to two little scalliwags!
Does anyone have much experience with booking Sun Country well in advance and how their fares change?

We are going to WDW and then on a cruise in October, and we'd like to fly Sun Country for the nonstop flights (since SW doesn't appear to fly non-stop from MCO to MSP anymore) and good flight times but the fare is currently $758 RT for the times we want. I think Sun Country was one of the carriers that used to list their schedule only 6 months in advance. Is there much chance of the fare going down when we reach that 6 month mark or beyond? $758 each for a family of 4 is just not realistic.....even using our credit card points to pay for $400 of each flight, it's still crazy. Hoping for a drop. Actually all the airlines are super-high right now so hoping for a break somewhere for sure!

Does anyone have much experience with booking Sun Country well in advance and how their fares change?

We are going to WDW and then on a cruise in October, and we'd like to fly Sun Country for the nonstop flights (since SW doesn't appear to fly non-stop from MCO to MSP anymore) and good flight times but the fare is currently $758 RT for the times we want. I think Sun Country was one of the carriers that used to list their schedule only 6 months in advance. Is there much chance of the fare going down when we reach that 6 month mark or beyond? $758 each for a family of 4 is just not realistic.....even using our credit card points to pay for $400 of each flight, it's still crazy. Hoping for a drop. Actually all the airlines are super-high right now so hoping for a break somewhere for sure!

$758 per round MSP-MCO is horrible and something I would not even consider. Delta and SC will both fly non-stop. The price will come down quite a bit. I would set a number of under $300pp and if you see it buy it.

Duds

Would NEVER pay that...ouch.

We just flew, non stop, to MCO last week on SW. They must have gotten rid of that in the coming schedule?

SC will come down, and Delta will surely be cheaper than that, too. Keep your eyes open.

We just flew, non stop, to MCO last week on SW. They must have gotten rid of that in the coming schedule?

We flew non-stop in December on SW too, but I'm not seeing anything non-stop coming up. I even did a search for a June flight, just out of curiosity, to see if a non-stop came up but it didn't. I'm going to be really disappointed if that option has been eliminated for us. That will definitely make us switch our allegiance to SC for MCO flights. We'll save our SW points for other trips.

Thanks for the reassurance on the rates coming down. I'll give it a while and see what happens. :surfweb:

That's a bummer. We are flying non-stop on Friday MSP to MCO. A little afraid of how crazy it's going to be. The site shows the first 5 flights of the day complete sold out. EEK!

We fly SC all the time to MCO. Our flight next month we got for $260. And of course a few weeks after we booked it dropped to $220.:confused3 Right now it's running $450. I have found that the best time to buy is usually around 3-4 months out. I have signed up at Airfare watchdog for the cities that we like to go to so I get email when ever those prices drop. Plus going out of terminal 2 is so much better then going out of 1.:cheer2:

I love hearing what other people from MN do! I went last month (Feb) on Delta all the way from my hometown (it's the only airline that goes there) for $257! It's been a long time since I've flown that cheap from MSP. Thanks for the advice of buying 3-4 months out. I've never figured out the system.

Check ITA software. During most of May there are flights for $100 non-stop each way. June flights are still up. You can download the app and check easily and often. Pay attention to what time frame you should be looking to book. Be patient. My last many trips I haven't paid more than $110 one way and we travel 2-3 times a year. for the most part I don't expect to pay more than $100 one way. I will be traveling in October also and will start watching but prices probably won't drop until later. At some time Spirit drops their prices (I wouldn't suggest flying Spirit) and then Sun Country and Delta follow. Often the weekends are higher but they also drop at some time. We are flying out of Duluth next month for $100 on Allegiant and returning to MSP for $100 on Sun Country.

Just downloaded ITA Software. I'd never heard of it before! Between that, Airfare Watchdog, Bing alerts, and my general daily stalking of airfare sites, I should have it covered! Thanks everyone for the help and reassurance!

I would set up a email tracker on kayak.com for the flights. I was watchig SC flights from MSP-MCO and they dipped down end of December and we missed it, but one month later they dipped again and we got our flights for $200 per person RT non stop!

We flew Delta last October MSP - MCO. Delta had the cheapest fares, but only briefly. They were $360 each I believe (leaving the Friday of MEA) for reference, we bought them in March. Out of curiosity I checked prices for this year about a month ago and they are WAY up in comparison, almost double. We never saw the prices drop much below that last year, and we had a layover in DTW on the way out, NS on the way back. SWA did drop the NS flights unfortunately. I think Sun Country is a good option if cheaper, plus the Humphrey is so easy to manuever around vs. Lindbergh - flying with them next week to LAX. I think the demand has gone up for MEA weekend, so if that is when you are traveling that may be why. Good luck! :thumbsup2

We flew Delta last October MSP - MCO. Delta had the cheapest fares, but only briefly. They were $360 each I believe (leaving the Friday of MEA) for reference, we bought them in March. Out of curiosity I checked prices for this year about a month ago and they are WAY up in comparison, almost double. We never saw the prices drop much below that last year, and we had a layover in DTW on the way out, NS on the way back. SWA did drop the NS flights unfortunately. I think Sun Country is a good option if cheaper, plus the Humphrey is so easy to manuever around vs. Lindbergh - flying with them next week to LAX. I think the demand has gone up for MEA weekend, so if that is when you are traveling that may be why. Good luck! :thumbsup2

ITA with this. We've flown MSP-MCO the past two Octobers and MEA really messes with the pricing. We flew on SW last year, but that was when they were still offering NS flights to MCO, which looks like it's ending shortly, so Delta it will be from here on out.

I just checked, and to fly October 18-25 (the week we went last year) it's only $389 for a nonstop on Delta from MSP to MCO. If you're willing to do a connection on the way home, it's only $341.

ITA with this. We've flown MSP-MCO the past two Octobers and MEA really messes with the pricing. We flew on SW last year, but that was when they were still offering NS flights to MCO, which looks like it's ending shortly, so Delta it will be from here on out.

I just checked, and to fly October 18-25 (the week we went last year) it's only $389 for a nonstop on Delta from MSP to MCO. If you're willing to do a connection on the way home, it's only $341.

It's way to early to book for October. I would wait until JUly or August, the price will come down. And don't think Delta is your only choice, don't forget Suncountry.

If SW isn't flying direct anymore, they're still my second choice. SC will be first, Delta third. I'd rather make a connection on SW than deal with Terminal 1 in most cases. I just need SC to get down under $400 to use our credit card points to cover the full fare. When I see that, I'll jump on it. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on the plethora of fare updates I've attached myself to.....#airfarestalker!! (Gives me something to do since we'll only be at WDW a couple of days before our cruise, instead of our usual 8-9, and I have very little to plan!)

I too am from MN and I'm shocked at the price jump SW has and now not a single nonstop flight out of MSP for them. I just flew nonstop in January to MCO for 198.00 round trip and now our August trip is 352.00 pp. I've got enough points for 1 free flight which averages our flight cost to 264.00 pp. I'm just really bummed at what SW did. I'm still going to book our Aug flight with them since I have enough for 1 free ticket and the fact of the free checked bags. Were going to be gone for 14 days and there is no way we can do carry on's for that long. I've checked Delta, SC and some of the others and they are all averaging around the same price.

Glad I booked our Trip for April instead of Aug this year. We jumped at the $200 direct SW fares with amazing arrival and departure times in April. We normally go end of Aug. Sorry to hear you Aug travelers aren't getting the good fares yet. Normally, I'd be one of you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter