Summer Tips

Originally Posted by ZoZo
I just picked up several mini-mister fans at Walmart ($3 each! what a deal!).

I like them much better than the big mister fans - they're so small, they have a caribiner clip that attaches the fan to a belt loop, purse, fanny pack, etc. and they weigh very little. I don't like to lug around a big mister fans. The only drawback on the small mister fans is that you have to fill them with water more often, but it's totally worth it.

I was just at Super Walmart today and couldn't find these! Where in the store did you find them? I looked in every pool/water play toy aisle and the camping section.

I'd like to find these also. What section were they in? Thanks!! :0)

I found mister fans in the hardware section of Wal-mart near light bulbs/ fans. I also found them in seasonal section at KMart.

Look up for those mister fans in the hardware section. I found ours on the very top shelf.

Add a tip: Bring those powerade flavor packs. We all brought a water bottle with us to the parks. When that was empty we would refill at the water fountains and add a flavor pack (well the kids did..I couldn't bring myself to drink that water). My kids were able to use one pack for two bottles since I generally water their drinks down anyways.

Take that mid day break. We went in the AM, left at about 1ish to go back for naps and swims and then headed back at dinner time. I always showered during that mid break time and changed clothes. So nice to have fresh..non sweaty clothes in the afternoon.

Thanks! :thumbsup2

I picked up some mini mister fans in Florida at a Super Target. It's better than paying $17 for the one in the park.

I HIGHLY recommend the mister fans from o2 cool. They are about 8-10 bucks, we got ours at cvs. They are FAR superior to the ones at the parks for half the price. It was a good buy for us.
We were there during the heat wave last week, and we got to where we werent even leaving the resort till about 4 or 5 and then shutting the parks down. let the kids sleep till 11 or so, eat, dork around..then go to the parks at night. It went well for us. I saw a lot of camel backs and am thinking of buying one of those as well.
Before we left, about 2 weeks ago, i was reading about the a/c at disney being turned up. I didnt notice that at all, if I went inside wet, I got cold..the air is fine..dont plan your course of action outside. do it inside..and then try to walk inside to get to where you need to be. stay in the shade, stand outside the doorways (out of the way of course) to keep cool..
advice about walking thru the shops on mainstreet is good advice as well..;)

I found the O2 cool personal misters at the Cabelas store in Hamburg PA. They had the misters and little mister fans that you can just hook on anything. They arent on the website. But if you have a Cabelas near you go take a look.

I take a hand towel and wet it and keep it wet thru out the day:) Saves me lots of sweating problems.

We leave on the 18th for our first July trip since I was a child (honestly, those trips are why I usually NEVER go in July) and I am panicked about the heat and crowds!:eek:

I already have two of the large mister fans - they have worked well for just the normal heat here in NC. I will be looking for the smaller misters at Walmart now!

Keep the tips coming - I'll take all I can get!

Oh - I have a couple of neck coolers, too, that I bought at the recommendation of someone on these boards a few years back. I used one during the Race for the Cure a few weeks ago and it worked really well.

I am resurrecting this board for more tips.:thumbsup2

Good idea!

All of our trips have been in December, but our next trip is in August for DS 16th birthday. Someone told me to buy Neck Tie Coolers for everyone in the family, they are on my shopping list.

most of the counter service food places will give you a cup of ice water for free if you ask them and the water does not taste too bad from there dispencer that is what i did in 2000 it was hot and i had to keep hydrated because I was breast feeding my nine month old daughter but did not want to have to buy water for three dollars i would just ask for a ice water and they gave it to me.

From our trip last July

Get some sort of refillable water bottles, and DRINK BEFORE YOU ARE THIRSTY. Seriously. You can so easily dehydrate in that sun! We got free ice water at CS places, and everyone had to drink half a water bottle (4 of us) every 1 - 1/2 hours. We were fine

Small mister fans (on caribeners) don't cut it. Spend the money for a bigger one.

SUNSCREEN - don't forget tops of feet for little ones in the stroller!

buy camping towels/ (think shamwow) to dry off after a rain shower.

START EARLY!!!

if you have a stroller, buy a cheap shower curtain at the $ store. Keep some clothespins, and everytime you park it, clip it over it. Rainshowers come up in a fast hurry with no warning sometime. Plus, it makes it easier to spot, and deters theft!

So what do you guys do about your feet? More particularly, kids feet?
DH and I will likely wear tennis shoes and some of those sports socks that wick moisture - with a sock change mid-afternoon.
What about my DD who will be 2 1/2? Sandals? Tennis shoes? Crocs?
I've never been with a small child before.
What would be best for her?

DH and I will likely wear tennis shoes and some of those sports socks that wick moisture - with a sock change mid-afternoon.

This trip we are getting Keens for our 3 boys. Last trip they alternated between tennis shoes and Crocs but that was a March trip. The Crocs and Keens are both good for water rides...nothing worse for us than wet sneakers and socks!

Believe it or not, I was probably about 6 when I went to Disney for the first time. The most I remember about it was how miserable I was due to wet tennis shoes and socks. To this day I HATE them and dont wear them to the parks. I stick to my Sanuks now and cant be happier.

Thanks for these nice tips. Its our practical experience which shows that these tips are really very helpful. Wet bandana idea is new for me.

My kids, now 6 and 10, have worn crocs during our last few summer trips to WDW. They work great, even in the rain, and they have never complained about their feet.

They are much cheaper to order online on the crocs website and they even carry the Disney ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter