• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Summer of Heroes - June 2017 Lifestyle/Weight loss Challenge

My woohoo is that I got my daughter into PT for today. This week has not been great and eating has been bad too. I am very emotional right now. Mostly stemming from my daughters ankle issues. I just feel so bad and there is nothing I can really do to help her. Yesterday i just wanted to have a good cry. I am really hoping that PT works because the next step is surgery and I really don't her to have surgery if we can help it.

8 of June

Topic of the day: Review progress and reflect
How did your first week go?
Tell us about one thing (or 5) you did great last week?
Is the goal you set up still serving you and acheivable? It's ok to adjust your approach if you wish to!
What will you do different next week, if anything?
if you wish to report % progress, I will track that too

96.jpg

Me - I did great tracking, great with my exercise level and steps
goal - no, it doesn't suit me. I am changing it to just focusing on enjoying healthy living. I am not going to have weight loss goal
Next week, what will I do differently? I will try to snack less as I am snacking way too much between 5 and 8 o'clock. Not unhealthy foods, but still foods I don't need as I am not hungry.

My first week went great!

As for next week, I begin rehearsals on Sunday so I'm entering into a 5-week period of not having a life. I'll have to work extra hard on meal prep with any spare time I do have so that I'm not tempted to grab whatever is packaged and quick. I'll have time to eat before rehearsals most days, but definitely not time to cook so I need to be diligent in keeping healthy foods prepped and ready!

I really have not done good this past week. I am not sure i have even gotten my 10,000 steps and i have for sure not tracked my food. I am pretty sure I have not lost weight either.

Next week I need to get myself back together. My time is limited with 2-3 baseball games a week and 2 PT appointments a week. It is staying light out longer and the weather looks like it is finally going to be warmer and no rain. There should be no excuse to not get at least 10,000 steps a day. I need to buckle down and track my food. It is on my phone so there is no reason for me not to be tracking other then pure laziness. I need to start packing my lunch the night before and planing meals better and sticking to them.

How did I miss Woohoo Wednesday!? Here's a belated one: Last night we celebrated DMIL's birthday. I was passed a slice of cake, fully intended on eating it, took two bites, and pushed it away. It wasn't good cake and so it just wasn't worth it. Woohoo for not just eating it because it was there Haha! I will be making good cake for another birthday party Sunday, so I will plan accordingly. If I'm gonna indulge, it's gonna be worth it. No more just eating it to be polite :D

Is the goal you set up still serving you and acheivable? It's ok to adjust your approach if you wish to!

I'm doing good with getting my classes in, but I think it's time to push myself more. I've plateaued a bit (it always happens right as I'm about to hit a new low 10lb mark... I was stuck at 180 forever trying to kick it under.... now I'm stuck at 170 trying to get under...). so I am thinking I need to do something to give me a little push. I don't think I want to go to the gym more (or at least not much more), so maybe it's time to start tracking food again and just get to goal!

I also think I've been a little lazy recently with classes. I haven't been pushing hard to lift more weight and running is just annoying me right now, so I'm not going all out. Time to pull myself together and get to my goal weight by August!!!

I'm at 33% for the month and on track to finish the month over goal again!

(I was literally about to type "unless something comes up and I can't get my extras in" but no more of that talk. I've been getting up early and going in the mornings on days when things come up and I haven't died yet. I don't know if it came from here or at the gym but I am really trying to practice my new mantra-- "Make progress, Not excuses!" .... so there's my self-talk and a glimpse inside my crazy head this morning. Ok back to work!)

8 of June

First, I wanted to thank you guys for all your "Woohoos" you posted yesterday. The last day or two, and especially today, I am feeling burdened by other people's problems. Logging and seeing OTHER other-people's woohoo's balanced that a bit, oddly enough. :)

So, allow me to add my belated "Woohoos" to the list.

I had to buy new clothes for the trip. I never thought size 14 pants/shorts would seem like a GOOD thing, but here we are. I am an unrepentant thrift shopper, so it's a huge mix of brands, so I feel confident in saying that that's really my size. To be honest, there were 2 size 16s in the mix. One fits well, the other is loose, but it was SO cute, and with my plans to be awful for 2 weeks, having a set of "fat pants" along is probably a good idea. ;P All of my bigger stuff is already either handed-down to Mom and my niece or in the goodwill pile. I'm also proud of myself for putting back all the things that were "meh," rather than, "YES!" Because with the super cheap prices (not only was it thrift, it was half-price day!) and the "hey look at me in shorts!" factor, there was the temptation to buy too much.

As for Progress, I actually am already at 100%. (Aunt Flo visits around the beginning of the month, so my starting numbers are always dubious.) So since I have 2 weeks to kill, I've set my next goal to reach 20%-since-January 2017, which is the goal I'll probably STILL be working on after I get back next month. (Even if I get it, I expect some backsliding... in fact, I look FORWARD to it. Mwhahaha!) So, with my NEW goal, I am at 50% for the month. To get to 20% loss, I need to lose 2.5 more lbs.

What I did great last week? I took bites. I took bites of things that looked/sounded good, or that my kids wanted me to try, and then I said "yep that's good," or "nope, that's gross," and then I stopped. Yesterday was French fries. I swiped a few from the kiddos because they smelled good. And then I ate MY healthy food instead. Today it was their fish sticks. Those were gross, I spit that bite out!

One little "poor-little-me" whine, though. Not only is today the end of my freedom (school lets out in about 2 minutes,) but DD13 ended up getting sent home sick. I had stuff to do before they invaded. BOOOO Hiss!!!!

PS- I loved Black Widow in that scene. All that butt-kicking AND perfect hair...

9th of June
Today's suggested topic - patterns of eating when not hungry
Are there any patterns that you currently have that
aren't supportive of your long term goals? I have listed some of the types of triggers that bring up an urge to eat when not hungry. Done once in awhile, they don't really impact our long term weight. Repeated often, patterns have big impact.

Physical hunger is sign to eat. Lack of physical hunger is a sign not to eat. Ignoring both on regular basis is not kind or considered way to treat your body.

the_avengers.jpg

Do you think our superheros are tired from battle or just having a food coma?​

Eating behavior chain
Trigger/cue->Urge->behavior->consequences

1. Location cues: A particular room, a certain chair.
2. Activity cues: Starting or stopping a particular activity such as playing cards.
3. People cues: Do you have any eating buddies?
4. Occasion cues: Parties, nights on the town.
5. Sensory cues: Advertisers get paid big bucks to plant sight, sound, feeling, taste and smell cues that signal you to eat.
6. Time cues: A certain time of day can signal you to eat.
7. Mood cues: Are there any cues in your environment that direct your mental focus and create a mood, such as boredom or excitement, which is a trigger for you to eat?

note, I am not medical professional. Things I quote make I have read and made sense to me, I found them helpful and I hope others will too.

I will go over some topics on various approaches to pattern interrupting next week. If you are interested in the topic, it will be helpful to post your answers.

Last edited:
My answer

4. Occasion cues: Parties, nights on the town.

perhaps vacations, meals out little but not an issue really

5. Sensory cues: Advertisers get paid big bucks to plant sight, sound, feeling, taste and smell cues that signal you to eat.

in the past passing by my favorite ice cream shop, I am not as cued by seeing food really

6. Time cues: A certain time of day can signal you to eat.

Yes, night time. I never over snack before 3 pm. 4 to 7 pm every evening is where I feel like snacking a lot or eating. Still a challenge. I think this is challenge for many people. I rarely hear I ate too much for breakfast.

7. Mood cues: Are there any cues in your environment that direct your mental focus and create a mood, such as boredom or excitement, which is a trigger for you to eat?

Yes at times - when I am overtired I crave energy but when you need rest eating a lot of food doesn't bring that energy, when I am bored, when I feel stressed. Procrastinating when I have to do something. Another mood cue for me is panic! Panic that I will miss the opportunity. I blame my 100 days no added sugar diet in 2014 for that. There are few elements of that. First viewing my day being good or bad, and thinking that I was bad, and I will have to go back to good tomorrow and eating this specific food in enjoyable quantity will be off limits, so I better use the opportunity to enjoy it now. Even if I am not actually enjoying feeling too full! I am much better in this now, I talk myself out of it and I don't do banned foods. Panic for missed opportunity to experience specific food that is available to me - like giant ice cream cookie sandwich, even if I already had meal and not remotely hungry at MK. I am way more respectful of my hunger cues now, and most of the time I don't - I remind myself I can come back later, I won't enjoy feeling too full, food taste much better when I am hungry and this food deserves to be experienced appropriately and enjoyed. Still work on progress

Last edited:
I eat when I am trying to stay awake. Sometimes it is during the day because I slept horrible and really just need to stay awake. At night it is because I want stay up to watch a show. Which is stupid because I DVR them. They can wait but I really get into a few shows and have to watch them. So by staying up then sets me up for a bad day the next day. I have been working on this. My husband and I have been going to bed between 10 and 10:30 most nights. Now the problem is he snores and it has been keeping me up. Once he loses weight it will get better.

I also tend to eat more when I really worked up/stressed. Not just your everyday type of stress. I think I handle that pretty well but the out of the blue stress that make me feel like the world is going to end type. This is what I have been dealing with this week. and i was also like this last December. Both having to do with my kids and the uncertainty of possible surgery. I know it is not the end of the world and it could be much worse but I worry way too much. It also does not help that I feel like my daughters is because of me and not listening to her about her pain for the last year and a half.

++++++++

Well yesterday was another busy day. My daughter had her first appointment with the allergist. They did do the scratch test to see what she is allergic to. Well she is allergic to nothing. They think with her symptoms that she has what is called non allergic rhinitis and mild asthma. So basically she has all the symptoms of seasonal allergies without being allergic to them. She is now on Singular which will help with the mild asthma symptoms she has and the allergy symptoms. Nothing is ever easy with this child or as they seem. Her ear hurts so I take her in for a possible ear infection and she has strep. She has all the symptoms of step so i take her in and it is an ear infection. I just never know with her. I am really hoping this treatment works. We also have to go back for a penicillin test because she had a reaction to amoxicillin when she was 4. This will tell us for sure if she is allergic to it or not. That will be a 3 hour test with what sounds like a lot of poking and waiting during this.

After her test yesterday we took her to get ice cream. She was a trooper and fight the test at all. She said it hurt and itched but she handled it really well. My husband felt she needed something for everything she had to go through. I think we just feel bad that she has to do all of this. She is still complaining about her back hurting this morning so i hope it gets better quickly. Her ankle also seems to be worse today. We think she over did it with her foot exercises last night. We will have to take it easy today.

Eating for me was ok. I missed lunch with the running around yesterday and then had a candy bar and ice cream. I didn't track again but with skipping meals I think I was still at least close to my calories. I was exhausted yesterday so i didn't get my steps. Between trying to get 40 hours of work in and all the appointments this week I am just done. Things should get better this weekend and next week. We still have 2 baseball games and 2 PT appointments next week but I think it is still doable to get my steps in. My husband has agreed that we both need to get back on track (after seeing a commercial for DCL). We are going to plan our meals better this week and really get back on track.

Hello all ... wow a few days really gets away from me with keeping up with you ladies! Super busy at work and family wise.

And after a lifetime of never being able to and 5 months of exercise and training, I can finally do real push ups

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: that is awesome - you should be proud of your efforts and progress!

My woohoo is that I got my daughter into PT for today. This week has not been great and eating has been bad too. I am very emotional right now. Mostly stemming from my daughters ankle issues. I just feel so bad and there is nothing I can really do to help her. Yesterday i just wanted to have a good cry. I am really hoping that PT works because the next step is surgery and I really don't her to have surgery if we can help it.

Hope all goes well - we have been on our own little frustrating injury merry go round with doctors here - DS13 got injured at soccer 2 and a half weeks ago now. A kid kicked the ball which hit DS in the forearm and hyperextended his elbow - we visited Dr no. 1 next day who suspected a fracture - went for an xray - nothing showed up but they said due to growth plates it can be difficult to detect - but radiologist recommended MRI - Dr no. 1 tells me referral to fracture clinic is best and then MRI will have not cost to me - saying that if he referred me direct to MRI there could be a substantial out of pocket cost - so ok-ish with me - he puts DS in backslab cast with sling until fracture clinic. Fracture clinic made appointment for day 8 of being in backslab cast and day 9 after injury - Dr no. 2 takes of cast and examines DS who indicated some pain and reduced range of motion but not jumping out of his seat pain. So send us for xray no. 2 - whilst there the xray technician asks if DS has had the recommended MRI - I say no and explain why - after consulting the Radiologist after the xray she again strongly recommends MRI - suggest talk to the girls at reception about billing - was informed that it could be done with no cost as long as Drs referral says looking for fracture. So talk to Dr no. 2 in the afternoon after he gets xray results which again show nothing but follow up recommendation for MRI - Dr no. 2 says no clinical indications to warrant MRI and that the Radiology company are likely pushing the issue so they can get paid for an MRI and it is his job to not have the government charged for overtesting! So my response was I wanted best outcome for DS and did not care if it was a cost for the MRI to government. I reluctantly agreed to leaving it over the weekend and seeing how DS went with everyday use and pain - so of course DS had pain during use especially turning door handles, opening bottles etc and continued to have restricted movement - ring back the drs on Monday - go back to see Dr no. 3 late afternoon - who says ok lets get the MRI! got a lecture on how in the old days before MRI treatment would have moved forward from xray - I responded that is fine but no treatment options were given post xray except everyday use when if it was soft-tissue damage with continued restricted movement a PT was needed. Call the first MRI provider no appointments till Saturday! Tried another one had availability for Thursday - so yesterday afternoon had MRI - call from Drs at 5pm tonight saying come in straight away - guess what MRI picked up a fracture and he is now in a full cast for another 2 weeks!!!! - so to Dr. no 2 want to say - listen to your radiologists a little more they have experience reading the telltale signs in the xray that indicated need for MRI and no they weren't chasing $$ - it was his own practice who actually ended up with more government $$ for extra visits. And to Dr no. 1 we could have had the MRI 2 weeks ago if he knew to word his referral appropriately! Yep - I am frustrated that this should have been handled better.

Okay - I am going to call week one a wash - I had some good moments but overall not good - all my fault really need to organise, plan and shop.

1. Location cues: A particular room, a certain chair. - hmmm not so much - but most snacking is on the couch.
2. Activity cues: Starting or stopping a particular activity such as playing cards. Watching TV - making dinner.
3. People cues: Do you have any eating buddies? No not really - totally capable of overeating/snacking alone.
4. Occasion cues: Parties, nights on the town. Yes yes yes
5. Sensory cues: Advertisers get paid big bucks to plant sight, sound, feeling, taste and smell cues that signal you to eat. Smell of movie popcorn!
6. Time cues: A certain time of day can signal you to eat. Late afternoon arriving home after work.
7. Mood cues: Are there any cues in your environment that direct your mental focus and create a mood, such as boredom or excitement, which is a trigger for you to eat? Boredom and feeling down

yeah caught up!

Last edited:
Okay I think my biggest cues are:

2. Activity cues- when I watch TV I feel like I should be munching on something. I'm learning to just enjoy the show I'm watching and if I must munch it's on raw and plain fruits & veggies (usually after a couple of baby carrots I realize I wasn't actually hungry and I stop munching).

4. Occasion cues- I am one of those people that usually associates a good time with good food. When I hang out with friends, my body/mind just kind of expect good snacking. I'm adjusting to the idea that I can have an awesome time and not overeat! My husband is really bad about this, too. He has a mindset of 'well the food is there, so it's really a waste if I don't eat it even if I'm not hungry' and once he starts eating then I'm more tempted to eat...

This has been an interesting few weeks of truly listening to my body and understanding where the urge to eat is coming from. I'm still adjusting but hopefully am building a good foundation for better habits for life!

After her test yesterday we took her to get ice cream. She was a trooper and fight the test at all. She said it hurt and itched but she handled it really well. My husband felt she needed something for everything she had to go through. I think we just feel bad that she has to do all of this. She is still complaining about her back hurting this morning so i hope it gets better quickly. Her ankle also seems to be worse today. We think she over did it with her foot exercises last night. We will have to take it easy today.

Wow what a crazy day for you and the family! I'm glad you were able to get some answers on your daughters allergy(ish) issues.

@piglet1979 we must have been typing at the same time!

After her test yesterday we took her to get ice cream. She was a trooper and fight the test at all. She said it hurt and itched but she handled it really well. My husband felt she needed something for everything she had to go through. I think we just feel bad that she has to do all of this.

I get this - scratch tests are hard :hug: - DS16 had 2 of them when he was very young one he was just over 2 and then a follow up one a couple of years later .

I went to lululemon shop today and as Friday treat I bought myself workout tights! Instead of cheat meals as a treat tonight I will hit the gym wearing my new gear

:)

I was bit naughty and bought two! There are a lot of items on sale at Athleta so I did a 5 item order to be delivered to our friend in LA ahead of our holiday. I would like some new workout tops but I really don't need any more leggings. :). Or hoodies.

I went to lululemon shop today and as Friday treat I bought myself workout tights! Instead of cheat meals as a treat tonight I will hit the gym wearing my new gear

I was bit naughty and bought two! There are a lot of items on sale at Athleta so I did a 5 item order to be delivered to our friend in LA ahead of our holiday. I would like some new workout tops but I really don't need any more leggings. :). Or hoodies.
I like this...I usually use food as a reward too. I could definitely see it being fun to switch it up to something else like clothes or new makeup! What an awesome idea :D

Location/Activity cues: This is kind of both for me. When I sit in "my spot" in the living room to watch TV, sometimes without even realizing it, I am thinking if I need a snack. I'm getting better or at least grabbing fruit instead of chips. But crazy how your brain just goes there!

Mood cues: Not as bad as it used to be, but being stressed out usually gets my brain thinking about a cocktail to take the edge off... and being happy and celebrating makes me want sweets as a celebratory treat.

Occasion cues: The WORST for me! Going to people's houses, going out to eat, going to bars, going to Disney.... going anywhere really (and I'm often going), the wheels fall off. Sometimes I am able to hold it together, sometimes not. I think this is going to be the biggest challenge for me in figuring out the balance for this new lifestyle - when are the sometimes foods turning into all the time foods.

Love this!!! I have been doing this too. I recently got myself celebratory leggings from Lilly Pulitzer. So bright and fun and encouraging for days I just don't feel like getting to the gym. I used to treat myself to low calorie ice cream, but I like how the scale treats me when I don't treat myself with food :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter