• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Summer DC trip

Jake&IzzyLand

Mouseketeer
We are planning a summer trip to DC with our kids. What is better, near the Capitol and museums or National Harbor?

What is a better deal for parking and getting around? What is better (cheaper) for dining out? A few nice places for dinner is optimal, but the other meals just need to be kid friendly and on the quick side. Which location has better hotels for kid? Pools, activities and what not?

This will be a first for all of us. Must does include the zoo, Smithsonian and historical sites like the Lincoln Memorial et al.

If there are amazing places for ice cream, pizza, burgers, seafood and mexican - do tell!

We will be driving, we are about 8 hours away.

Thanks!

We are planning a summer trip to DC with our kids. What is better, near the Capitol and museums or National Harbor?

What is a better deal for parking and getting around? What is better (cheaper) for dining out? A few nice places for dinner is optimal, but the other meals just need to be kid friendly and on the quick side. Which location has better hotels for kid? Pools, activities and what not?

This will be a first for all of us. Must does include the zoo, Smithsonian and historical sites like the Lincoln Memorial et al.

If there are amazing places for ice cream, pizza, burgers, seafood and mexican - do tell!

We will be driving, we are about 8 hours away.

Thanks!

As a resident of the Washington DC area, I would say definitely not National Harbor. Bethesda, Alexandria, Crystal City, Roslyn, or DC are your best bets. All have hotels very close to the subway at affordable rates. You probably do not want to drive in because of the traffic and difficulty parking. In DC stay out of the NE and SE areas for safety reasons. Of all the areas I listed Alexandria, Bethesda, and Crystal City have the most affordable restaurants for the evenings because their are more residential areas around them.

We stayed in Crystal City and used the Metro to get around and had no issues. After seeing the traffic, I think the Metro would be a lot less stressful, unless you drive in traffic like that routinely.

We are breakfast in Crystal City (Panera) and then took the train downtown. Lunch and dinners were where ever we were at the time. We found a mix of more expensive and reasonable prices. After dinner we would go back up to the hotel and chill until bedtime.

It was a great, but tiring trip. But we didn't factor in much downtime, our dds were older.

Last edited:
We are planning a trip over our upcoming Spring Break. The DC forum on tripadvisor has been great for planning. We have used VRBO to rent an apartment for the week. It's within walking distance to the metro so we won't have to drive. The people on the forum were great and even helped me to determine the best apt for our safety to rent.

We have been a few times and have stayed both in the city and outside towns like Arlington . Both times we used the Meto/ bus system to get around. We really like the Garden Inn near the White house . There is a metro stop right across the street. We did breakfast in our room with a frig and microwave and lunch where ever we were, avoiding museum cafes. We sometimes did dinner back in our room too with sandwiches, quick microwave meals etc. Most activities are free, but some your need timed entry tickets for so plan a head. One thing we really loved was Mount Vernon. Its not accessible by meto so we did it on arrival day. If you have never been, don't under estimate the about of walking.......meto is great but there is still a ton of walking between stops and Summer in DC is VERY hot. Take and carry bottled water with you. Some places back packs are not allowed, but we wore shorts with cargo pockets to carry a few needed items and a few snacks. We love DC.

We got a condo on Airbnb this past summer. It was in Pentagon City (Arlington). It was a fabulous location, as it was within walking distance of the metro and a number of restaurants. Having the condo means we saved on 6 or 7 meals.

That particular stop is on two metro lines, both the blue and yellow, so it definitely gives you options.

Taxes are lesser if you stay outside the city, so that is budget friendly as well.

National Harbor is quite far away and not all that easy to get to and from, as far as transportation is concerned. I would for sure rule that out.

As far as meals, a couple places I would recommend: one day, go and find the food trucks. It is a neat experience, and then each person can pick what sounds good to them. I got a chicken sandwich from Astro Doughnuts and Chicken, and it was fantastic.

Founding Farmers is great. Ted's Bulletin is a good option as well.

Now, in the Pentagon City area I mentioned before, it is near a mall, with a great food court. If you are needing something on the quick, or maybe the kiddos are just tired of new foods and want something familiar...I find that could be a great option.

I made sure to make a trip to Shake Shack since that isn't available where I live.

My last recommendation, and this is really just personal preference, but if you want something a bit off the beaten path, and want to expose your kids to something just a little different, I would suggest Food Corner Kabob House, which is Afghani cuisine. But, the food is delicious, and they have some relatively tame options.

We spent a week in DC this past summer and it was a terrific vacation. We didn't have to find accommodations because I have a relative with a rental house right outside DC in Virginia and she allowed us to stay there for free. We took Metro in every day that we went into the city and it was super easy. If we had had to stay in a hotel, I would have chosen one of the above-mentioned areas like Crystal City, Arlington, Pentagon City.

I highly recommend the TripAdvisors message board on DC. Very very useful information there -- on the right of the page they have "top questions" that are like the DIS "sticky" threads and they answer lots of questions.

I planned our days out thoroughly like I would for a Disney vacation and we were able to see and do a lot of things in the 6 days we were in the area. I mapped everything out so that we could do things that were near each other and cut down on walking and Metro trips. Start in March or April asking your Representative for tickets to the White House, Bureau of Engraving and Printing, a Capitol tour, etc. You also need to request admissions to the Archives and the top of the Washington Monument in advance. You can pay a small service charge to get them in advance. Ford's Theatre tickets you can get through Ticketmaster in advance. Mount Vernon tickets you can get through their website in advance.

My husband's favorite day was the day we went to Mount Vernon. One child loved the Spy Museum (and it was better than I expected). I loved going into the Library of Congress - so beautiful!

There's so much to see and do -- we'd go back without a second thought!

We stayed at Embassy Suites in Alexandria and used an unlimited 7 day metro pass. The subway was right across the street. The hotel has a breakfast which included make your own waffles and made to order omelets. The room had a microwave and refrigerator plus the hotel had free drinks and snacks every night. There is also a free shuttle to Old Town Alexandria and free hotel transportation there as well. For cheap quick food we went to the food court at the Fashion Center Pentagon City Mall (or similar name) which is right at a subway stop on the blue and yellow lines. We also ate a cheap (for DC) meal at the Ronald Reagan building food court and the US Capital Visitor Center food court. We found these much cheaper than the Smithsonian Museum cafeterias.

My girls were 6 and 10 (very close to 7 and 11) plus we had a 12 year old traveling with us and elderly parents etc. We did the Ford Theater with audio tour of the museum and play, National Archives, Bureau of Engraving and Printing, some free tours such as Library of Congress and US Capital, some Smithsonian Museums including Old Postal Museum, American History, National History and Air and Space. We also did an evening trolley tour of the monuments which had a driver that went to the monuments with us and at the end of the tour drove us back to our hotel. The girls enjoyed everything except for the US Capital tour (my youngest fell asleep sitting on my father's lap since he was using a wheelchair). We swam and/or used the hotel indoor pool/hottub most nights.

If your kids are the right age the National Park Service has free junior ranger activity booklets. I think there was one that covered the Government buildings and another that covered the monuments.

We spent a week in DC this past summer and it was a terrific vacation. We didn't have to find accommodations because I have a relative with a rental house right outside DC in Virginia and she allowed us to stay there for free. We took Metro in every day that we went into the city and it was super easy. If we had had to stay in a hotel, I would have chosen one of the above-mentioned areas like Crystal City, Arlington, Pentagon City.

I highly recommend the TripAdvisors message board on DC. Very very useful information there -- on the right of the page they have "top questions" that are like the DIS "sticky" threads and they answer lots of questions.

I planned our days out thoroughly like I would for a Disney vacation and we were able to see and do a lot of things in the 6 days we were in the area. I mapped everything out so that we could do things that were near each other and cut down on walking and Metro trips. Start in March or April asking your Representative for tickets to the White House, Bureau of Engraving and Printing, a Capitol tour, etc. You also need to request admissions to the Archives and the top of the Washington Monument in advance. You can pay a small service charge to get them in advance. Ford's Theatre tickets you can get through Ticketmaster in advance. Mount Vernon tickets you can get through their website in advance.

My husband's favorite day was the day we went to Mount Vernon. One child loved the Spy Museum (and it was better than I expected). I loved going into the Library of Congress - so beautiful!

There's so much to see and do -- we'd go back without a second thought!
Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful.

Thank you, everyone! I had no idea about National Harbor being so far and inconvenient. What is that place even for, haha?

As far as meals, a couple places I would recommend: one day, go and find the food trucks. It is a neat experience, and then each person can pick what sounds good to them. I got a chicken sandwich from Astro Doughnuts and Chicken, and it was fantastic.

Founding Farmers is great. Ted's Bulletin is a good option as well.

Now, in the Pentagon City area I mentioned before, it is near a mall, with a great food court. If you are needing something on the quick, or maybe the kiddos are just tired of new foods and want something familiar...I find that could be a great option.

I made sure to make a trip to Shake Shack since that isn't available where I live.

My last recommendation, and this is really just personal preference, but if you want something a bit off the beaten path, and want to expose your kids to something just a little different, I would suggest Food Corner Kabob House, which is Afghani cuisine. But, the food is delicious, and they have some relatively tame options.
There's a Shake Shack right next door to the Spy museum. FYI you do need to pay for that museum, it's not part of the Smithsonian.

And while I love Natinal Harbor (I live about 10 miles away - lots of shopping and restaurants there), it's not convenient to the sights of DC, nor is it cheap.

We love Matchbox for pizza. There's one very close to the Verizon Center that is right by a metro stop too.

So my husband really wants to stay in National Harbor, the resort has a shuttle to the metro. What are your thoughts on that?

We stayed at the Radisson near Regan, you could walk from the airport if you wanted, though the planes weren't a problem. It was nice and a short walk to the metro. There was food options around as well.

I recommend having an itinerary like previously said, and prioritize what you want to see. Also mark what else is around in case you end up with extra time. There was a lot of the american history museum that was closed for renovation when I was there for labor day and I think a lot of it is remaining closed through 2017. Check things out on the smithsonian website, it's a good resource, has the hours, some museums have extended summer hours, tells about food options and what is closed. They have a good app too.

Any museum that gives their estimate for visiting is good to take into account along with knowing how your family does stuff. I didn't think the holocaust museum would really take as long as their site said, but it did. We also got a great guided tour of their special exhibit. A lot of places have tours and it's best to check the website to see how they work and when they are offered. I highly recommend the tour at the library of congress, it's far better than walking around on your own, having done both.

We ate at union station, there's a couple of food courts there. We also ate at the cafeteria at the capitol building, which I prefer over one's at the smithsonian. There are some restaurants a short metro ride away or a short walk from the mall as well.

The zoo is great and there are places you could eat between the metro and it, though I've only eaten at the zoo.

One thing with the metro, they have the longest escalators I have ever ridden and the steepest. Something I didn't know until my first trip up one.

So my husband really wants to stay in National Harbor, the resort has a shuttle to the metro. What are your thoughts on that?

What metro stop? There are some on the green line (which is closest to the nat'l harbor) that aren't the safest. Especially at night where you'd be potentially waiting for a return shuttle.

A shuttle to the Metro is definitely a plus. However, it will still take probably 15-20 minutes to get to the Metro, and then another 15-20 minutes to your destination. The zoo would be longer, but the zoo is quite a trek, no matter where you are coming from. So, figure on a half hour to get to and fro. For some people, who are used to commutes, this may not bother them. And, a 30 minute train commute is way better than a 30 minute drive.

The National Harbor is a lovely area. Even if you don't stay near there, it would definitely be worth a trip out there. We actually looked at staying on that side, but upon seeing how long it would take to and from, we settled on Arlington.

Another thing that is kind of important: that side of town, you will only be on one train line. Which, you are looking at fewer commuters, and there will be plenty of trains, but it is a pretty basic N-S route. You may be looking at doing a lot of walking OR transferring lines. Which, transfers aren't particularly difficult. But, at the end of a long day, after a lot of walking, kids in tow, you may be more content to just sit back and relax, till you get "home."

I would recommend downloading the WMATA and NextBus apps, which will help you to know when buses and trains are coming. As someone else mentioned, definitely get a pass....either unlimited, or you can put a set amount on there. If you will be seeing sights along the Mall, look for the DC Circulator (bus). They have a route, which basically has a loop around, with stops at the major sites, which you would otherwise have to walk on foot. The cost is like $1, and wellllll worth it. When you are checking out all the transportation info, give the DC Circulator a look. They have a few different routes. It is the best way to get to Georgetown, if you want to check out Georgetown. And, like I said, the Monument loop is worth its weight in gold. I cannot even imagine walking all that.

All that said, the National Harbor does have some really nice hotels and resort options, so I can definitely see why your husband is drawn to it. For a family, it truly is ideal, as there are lots of rides and water sports, and shops, and restaurants. So, the days when you aren't in the city, there should be plenty to do. You just kind of have to be aware of the commute and build that into your schedule.

One thing with the metro, they have the longest escalators I have ever ridden and the steepest. Something I didn't know until my first trip up one.

Oh my gosh, yes. Holy cow. I cannot remember which one it was, Smithsonian or L'Enfant, but it felt like we were a good mile underground. The escalator took for.ev.er.

Oh the other cool thing we did was took the water taxi from alexandria to georgetown. There's a recorded tour that goes with it telling you about the stuff you are passing. It's a really neat way to see the city and a totally different perspective. You can take it one way from either city or do it round trip. The metro stop from georgetown is a hike but alexandria has a free trolley bus that runs from it's metro stop to the shopping area and marina. It's a neat little area that we had wished we'd had more time to look at.

We also did the bus tour at arlington national cemetary. Depending on what you want to see there, the bus is good because it's on/off and they run every 20 minutes or so. It's a lot of walking if there is more than one thing you want to see.

A shuttle to the Metro is definitely a plus. However, it will still take probably 15-20 minutes to get to the Metro, and then another 15-20 minutes to your destination. The zoo would be longer, but the zoo is quite a trek, no matter where you are coming from. So, figure on a half hour to get to and fro. For some people, who are used to commutes, this may not bother them. And, a 30 minute train commute is way better than a 30 minute drive.

The National Harbor is a lovely area. Even if you don't stay near there, it would definitely be worth a trip out there. We actually looked at staying on that side, but upon seeing how long it would take to and from, we settled on Arlington.

Another thing that is kind of important: that side of town, you will only be on one train line. Which, you are looking at fewer commuters, and there will be plenty of trains, but it is a pretty basic N-S route. You may be looking at doing a lot of walking OR transferring lines. Which, transfers aren't particularly difficult. But, at the end of a long day, after a lot of walking, kids in tow, you may be more content to just sit back and relax, till you get "home."

I would recommend downloading the WMATA and NextBus apps, which will help you to know when buses and trains are coming. As someone else mentioned, definitely get a pass....either unlimited, or you can put a set amount on there. If you will be seeing sights along the Mall, look for the DC Circulator (bus). They have a route, which basically has a loop around, with stops at the major sites, which you would otherwise have to walk on foot. The cost is like $1, and wellllll worth it. When you are checking out all the transportation info, give the DC Circulator a look. They have a few different routes. It is the best way to get to Georgetown, if you want to check out Georgetown. And, like I said, the Monument loop is worth its weight in gold. I cannot even imagine walking all that.

All that said, the National Harbor does have some really nice hotels and resort options, so I can definitely see why your husband is drawn to it. For a family, it truly is ideal, as there are lots of rides and water sports, and shops, and restaurants. So, the days when you aren't in the city, there should be plenty to do. You just kind of have to be aware of the commute and build that into your schedule.

Oh my gosh, yes. Holy cow. I cannot remember which one it was, Smithsonian or L'Enfant, but it felt like we were a good mile underground. The escalator took for.ev.er.

Seriously, thank you. Great advice and info. I get the appeal as well. Like any kids ours need to be free to just play for awhile and love to swim. On the other hand, their mom is a type A planner and I get panicky about time. We will need to do a lot of research it sounds like. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter