Summer 2019 stay help/advice please

Beauties n the Beast

Mouseketeer
I am planning a trip to DLR at the end of May 2019. Plan to stay about a week total. We would like to spend 3 days in the parks and a day for Downtown Disney. My girls want to see LA / Hollywood area, and also go to a beach. I've seen everyone's recommendations for Huntington so that is a choice too.
My question is should we just stay near DLR and take a shuttle for the 2 day trips? Or stay closer to LA/Beaches for 2 or 3 days then to the DLR area? Looking at flying into Long Beach airport so was thinking to stay near there for the first 2 days then rent a car to DLR. But I don't know what would be best (more budget friendly!!) Thanks!! it will be me, my 2 daughters (17 and 21) and my 2 year old!

If it's anyone in your groups first trip I wouldn't devote a whole day to Downtown Disney; it's fairly small and can realistically be done in a couple hours.

For beaches if you want a scenic beach I would avoid Huntington, while it's much more touristy it's also a pretty dull and not the best looking. You're better off going farther south towards Laguna if you want the more scenic CA coast beaches.

If you're considering renting a car I would consider renting an airbnb, it could save you some money and you can position yourself more central to everything you want to visit. If you don't want to deal with parking at DLR you can always move to a hotel within walking distance of the resort for that portion of your trip.

Oh, thanks!! This will be our 1st trip to CA period, so lots to do!! And, Laguna was my choice :) So maybe we will head that way.
Our flight back is in the evening so I guess we could do DTD on that day since not a full day. And load up our luggage with more crap haha
Thank you :)

Agreed with above, Downtown Disney isn't going to take up a full day. My family typically spends time in Downtown Disney the day we fly in. It's something fun to do for a few hours and a taste of Disney without wasting admission on a partial day.

Laguna is stunning. Highly recommend. I stayed at the Laguna Beach Inn a few years ago and the upgraded rooms had lovely views of the ocean.

Beware parking fees around DLR... Parking at DL is around $20 a day, and depending on where you stay, hotels also charge about $20 a night. Could add up quickly for you. There are a few hotels in the area that offer free parking and are within walking distance, including the Candy Cane Inn and the Hotel Indigo.

Thank you!! I will definitely look out for the parking fees. I'm a cheap-o lol It's a graduation trip for my youngest daughter so I just want to make it nice and budget friendly :)

I’d stay somewhere on harbor for the Disney portion of your trip. Uber, don’t bother renting a car during your park time.

Check out prices at desert inn & suites since you say you’re cheap.

I usually get park hoppers through last minute travel club. Foetravel was a free code recently. Just click through and it will give it to you.

However, there will be a price increase before your trip. I’m more concerned about the popularity of maxpass. If that price doubles, buying direct through Disney with maxpass now will be cheaper for my trip. I’m still debating.

This thread may have some good planning info for you: Surviving Summer 2019 at Disneyland!. The big news for next summer is SWGE. Bets here have it opening as early as Memorial Day Weekend or around June 21st. Also be aware of any promotional tickets for SoCal residents. The past two years, those tickets have expired just before Memorial Day Weekend, which caused a lot of crowding in the parks. Be aware of Grad Nites, too. The 2019 dates have been published already -- do a search on this forum. I agree with the suggestion to stay walking distance from the parks and to get park hopper tickets in order to get the most out of your days at DLR. Be aware that if you visit before Memorial Day Weekend, you may not get the full entertainment schedule, so nighttime shows may run on weekends only.

Thank you!! I will definitely look out for the parking fees. I'm a cheap-o lol It's a graduation trip for my youngest daughter so I just want to make it nice and budget friendly :)
You’re not a cheap-o if you’re giving CA as a grad gift ;)

Finding a balance is hard there but do not discount how much time you will waste trying to drive in and park everyday. Stay walkable & be there at rope drop every morning for the lowest crowds all day (because most people drive in and/or can’t get their crew up that early). Seeing as you are there during Grad Nites I’d MUCH rather do a 4 day ticket than spend your last day in DtD. Even GN aside we had 2 hours to kill in DtD last month and were bored after less than an hour, World of Disney was half closed but I’m 100% confident that half being opened would not have entertained us for our last hour! To do multiple hours in DtD on a budget? I really wouldn’t.

Fwiw Earl of Sandwich will be your cheapest food option while at the parks (right across from the monorail stop in DtD), consider spliting meals in the parks if they look big (Plaza Inn has some BIG dishes), all counter services have free ice water, research nearby off-site food places here on the DIS for more budget friendly but convenient options.

Thanks everyone!!!
First of all - when ISN'T there a price increase?? Seriously, it's been like every year it seems lately. sheesh. Will have to work on getting the tickets before that!!
I will check out the Summer 2019 thread, very helpful!! I was looking at the Best Western PPI and definitely wanted park hoppers for our 3 days.
I love Earl of Sandwich :) And we are usually good at splitting meals, but only because we want to sample everything anyway :)

Just a heads up that Earl of Sandwich is currently only open for a "limited" time while Disney decides what to do with the hotel project it put on hold. If they decided to move forward Earl of Sandwich could close at a moments notice to make way for the hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter