Summary of Best/Worst Attractions Thread

raidermatt

Be water, my friend.
Thought it would be neat (does anyone still say that?) to compile the Best/Worst attractions list, so I did.

Since it was a top 5 list, I gave 5 points for a 1st place vote, 4 points for a 2nd, etc.

Since only a couple of posters included Disneyland, I just left DL attractions out.

So, here's the 10 best, with number of points:

1- Splash Mountain (62)
2- Tower of Terror (51)
3- Haunted Mansion (45)
4- Pirates of the Caribbean (40)
5- Kilamanjaro Safaris (18)
6T- Rock n Roller Coaster (15)
6T- Peter Pan's Flight (15)
8- Space Mountain (13)
9- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (9)
10T- Spaceship Earth (8)
10T- Hunchback Show (8)

Here's the 10 worst:

1- Tomorrowland Speedway (40)
2- Journey into your Imagination (18)
3- Body Wars (16)
4T- Dinosaur (10)
4T- Millionaire (10)
4T- Its a Small World (10)
4T- Aladdin (10)
8- The Living Seas Ride (8)
9T- Test Track (7)
9T- Pocahontas Show (7)
9T- Indy Show (7)

Enjoy! I'll post my comments separately...

Sometimes I just get an uncontrollable urge to create a spreadsheet...

The "worst" list had a much wider dispersion pattern than the "best". In other words, there were far more attractions named on worst lists than on best lists. Its seems that everybody has an attraction or three that get under their skin, but for the most part, its just a personal taste thing. For instance, Dinosaur only made two worst lists, but both rated it as the worst attraction at WDW.

That said, I think some factor in what a ride could have been, vs. what it actually is. For instance, again, let's look at Dinosaur. I honestly believe that if Indiana Jones at DL did not exist, Dinosaur would get more favorable ratings. But since Dinosaur is seen as a 'weaker' clone of Indy, it draws more fire.

Aladdin, same thing. If it came before Dumbo, we'd likely see more complaints about Dumbo.

I'm not saying this is wrong, because if one's enjoyment of an attraction is truly affected by this, so be it.

I'm also trying to figure out what this unscientific analysis tells us about coasters. SM, BTM, HM and PotC were all advanced for their day. Yet the two non-coasters seem to have held their appeal better than the coasters. RnRC easily has the highest pure thrill quotient of any of the Disney coasters, yet it is still ranked below 5 others attractions. I guess there's two ways to look at this:

1- This sampling is just too small to draw any conclusions. Maybe ridership shows something completely different than our little survey.(this maybe true, but its a boring way to end the discussion)

2- When you depend on the latest thrill technology to entertain people, you are going to have to constantly replace your attractions, or you will eventually become obselete. You can delay the inevitable with theming and "show", like Space Mountain, but ultimately you will be outlasted by attractions that still have the show, but don't rely at all on higher/faster/twistier.

(That ought to get BobO's attention...;) )

where do you guys get these votes from, Test Track in the worst list makes no sense what-so-ever

That's really wierd how you did that. And it doesnt make any sense! Why is Test Track on the worst list?:confused:

There are a few good explinations on the best/worst attractions thread of why a few people put Test Track on their worst list.

It made my list for a few reasons. (disclaimer.. this is just one persons opinion.)

Its just not that interesting. I don't believe that an auto testing warehouse is a good theme for a theme park attraction.

The anticipation. It took years to open. Delay after delay. At the time I was thinking "This is going to be a great attraction, its taking them sooooo long to get it working" Plus, it took the place of World of Motion so it had to be great right? So when I finaly got to ride it, I was thinking to myself "Thats it???" For me it was a huge let down. The attraction is just not as good as what it replaced (seems to be the norm these days at EPCOT :( )

The only redeeming quality of the attraction is the speed loop part of it and that part is over much too fast.

My $.02

Raidermatt I think it is a small sample and that their are few coaster enthusiats on this board. Being a coaster enthusiat and having ridden over 100 coasters when i think of world class coasters none from disney even come to mind. All disney has given us in florida is medicore Vekoma coasters and they havent tried to anything to make a truely great coaster! Now disney hasnt tried to give us any coasters that are truely taller/faster/twistier!! If they had the voting may have been different. Regardless of the vtoing here when i have been atthe park the lines for RNRC have always been their, and sometimes long, TT has always had a long line so i think if you had inside info from disney on their rides stats you would find the few thrill rides they have would also have the highest amount of riders.
When you talk of having to replace rides just becausethey are fast/taller/twistier is also wrong when the ride is done in a proper manner. A ride like magnum XL200 at Cedar Point is still rated one of the worlds top coasters and has very l,ong lines while being old. The same can be said for the Beast at paramounts Kings Island or batman the ride at Six Flags great america. I think it just shows when a ride/attraction is done properly it will contuine to be popular even if newer rides/attractions are added.
And of course this board and site would skew to the tame downed rides!!

Fair enough, Bob. You're certainly right that this was a small sample, and probably a skewed one at that.

Some of you are asking where this came from... There's another thread titled "Top 5 best and worst attractions". There have been some new posts added since I did this summary, so at some point in the near future I will re-compile. So if you haven't posted your list yet, there's still time to be heard!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter