Sukkot on DCL

Philharmagicfamily

Earning My Ears
I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know if DCL does anything for Sukkot? We will be on the Transatlantic cruise that runs the entirety of Sukkot, and while we’ll obviously eat a lot of our meals outdoors, we’d love to observe the holiday a little more than just eating on a pool deck.

I know from a friend that DCL had a rabbi aboard during Hanukkah, so do they do anything for Sukkot, too?

Was on The Dream in 2018 during Sukkot. Didn't hear of any activities, but I'm not jewish, only work for a company that is and that is when our vacation is.

Last edited:
If the ship is sailing over a Friday night, there may be do-it-yourself Shabbat evening services with challah, wine, and prayer books provided in Keys lounge. That's all I would expect, although I have never traveled over a holiday. If Friday night is toward the start of your cruise, you could certainly plan an informal get-together later in the cruise with anyone else who shows up.

If you get on the "meet up" site for your cruise you could find out or ask if anyone would want to join you in planning a service. We've done that for Christian services. I doubt the cruise line will organise anything but will probably provide space.

I can't speak for Disney, but I've been on Royal Caribbean and most religious services are passenger-lead. They did have Easter and Christmas masses, but that's because the Catholic church has a "priest at sea" program where priests travel on cruise ships and conduct mass.

Thanks, everyone! Seems like they likely won’t have anything aboard. Since we won’t be able to bring a lulav and etrog aboard, we may talk to our rabbi about whether it would be halachically better to just not those elements or see if we could use a lemon or something in place of it.

Thanks for your help!

Was on The Dream in 2018 during Sukkot. Didn't hear of any activities, but I'm not jewish, only work for a company that is and that is when our vacation is.

As a member of the tribe this is so cool to hear. LOL @ the fact that you take your vacation when your company celebrates Sukkot. Good on them for giving you that time off.

But as you said, I've cruised DCL during a few jewish holidays and did not see anything being organized. I did see a hanukkiya (menorah) on the GS desk once during Hanukah. And a a guy that prayed by himself by the pool deck everyday at dawn on a cruise some years ago.

I'm non-religious but I'd join any celebration if people organized it onboard, in solidarity.

Thanks, everyone! Seems like they likely won’t have anything aboard. Since we won’t be able to bring a lulav and etrog aboard, we may talk to our rabbi about whether it would be halachically better to just not those elements or see if we could use a lemon or something in place of it.

Thanks for your help!
Christian from the mid-west, here. Wow, I'm learning stuff. Everyone knows what a menorah is, but now I've just learned a few new things, too. :)

I assume you can't take these with you because they are live items? Certainly, I would ask the rabbi for advice. Be prepared for him to say you should change your vacation plans (we had a priest who reminded us that God was more important than vacation, so just saying you might encounter that thinking, as well.)

Failing any substitution ideas from your rabbi, I wonder if a call to DCL with a request to have these items available would be successful? It couldn't hurt to ask. They might not provide much for the service, but maybe they could have the items you need for a lulav and etrog, at the very least (if legally possible), particularly if you explain it's for religious purposes.

Also, if you have any dietary restrictions pertaining to this holiday, don't forget to mention it to DCL beforehand.

I think it is highly unlikely. We were on a Disney Cruise one year over Pesach and never even saw matzo.

The last night of our Fantasy cruise in April '19 was the first night of Pesach, and there was a seder in Cabanas led by a rabbi who said he comes onboard whenever there's a major holiday during the sailing. He had printouts of Haggadot, cast members served us all the food items we needed at the tables, and there was unlimited free wine. (We're not shomer kashrut so I didn't look to see if it was kosher.) It was beautiful! They timed it so we were done in time for Main dining.

Because I knew the holiday was starting while we were onboard, I went to Guest Services on embarkation day to ask if there was something planned, and they had a signup sheet. The service is on the Navigator for that day, too.

he last night of our Fantasy cruise in April '19 was the first night of Pesach, and there was a seder in Cabanas led by a rabbi who said he comes onboard whenever there's a major holiday during the sailing. He had printouts of Haggadot, cast members served us all the food items we needed at the tables, and there was unlimited free wine

Good to know. We just skipped Passover that year.

I teach at a Jewish preschool, and we use a soft stuffed lulav and etrog during Sukkot for the children. Since you can't bring the real ones aboard, that may be an option!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter