Suica questions

SeanSD

Mouseketeer
So I think I have idea of Suica after reading boards and watching some VLOGs. Hoping they work fine for Tokyo subways, Kyoto subways and city bus, Osaka subway. Would it work for Osaka airport limo bus from Itami to Namba? And for airport limo bus from TDR area to Narita? We’ll probably just buy Shinkansen tickets separately since I read it’s two ticket process anyway.

Also I tried to add a virtual Suica card to my iPhone Apple wallet but the payments to add money didn’t work. I don’t know why I have iPhone 11 and tried a card and Apple Pay. Anyone have ideas?

Generally Suica is used throughout Japan, with exceptions. We’ve not used it for Shinkansen, Nex & Limousine Buses.
A good article on Suica and it’s interchangeability with other cards is here Japans IC Cards

Also I tried to add a virtual Suica card to my iPhone Apple wallet but the payments to add money didn’t work. I don’t know why I have iPhone 11 and tried a card and Apple Pay. Anyone have ideas?

Not sure if this is still the case, but foreign Visas don't seem to work. My Amex worked fine.

I've used Suica to pay for the limousine buses leaving TDR area. But when leaving the airport, I advise just going to a ticket counter and getting a ticket. Some buses fill up so having a ticket can "reserve" you a seat. Sometimes they also have tourist discounts and occasionally, a limousine bus will not have an IC card reader. And if you happen to be going to Osaka before Tokyo, you can get an ICOCA card that can be used and reloaded wherever Suica is accepted.

Many Japanese apps block foreign credit cards but some people can get some to work. Just get a physical card when you land.

Yeah thanks. Tried Amex, Mastercard, Apple Pay all failed. Will just get a physical card and may also try virtual after we get there.

I’m going to guess it’s like when I bought Universal Studios Japan tickets - had to use Apple Pay Mastercard - would not accept my Visa via Apple Pay. Which really sucks because I have no exchange fees with my Visa.

Hi,

My friends told me to just get a sucia card in the airport when we land, and add around 20.00 us dollars to get started. That they have a desk in the airports that can help you with it. That we can use the card in the train stations, for food, as well in some combini's, and for the vending machines?

Is this correct? We are flying into Haneda with Delta any idea on the where the desk might be located?

Hi,

My friends told me to just get a sucia card in the airport when we land, and add around 20.00 us dollars to get started. That they have a desk in the airports that can help you with it. That we can use the card in the train stations, for food, as well in some combini's, and for the vending machines?

Is this correct? We are flying into Haneda with Delta any idea on the where the desk might be located?

When you exit, you'll see signs for the monorail. It's easiest to purchase a monorail Suica from the machines there. It's essentially a normal Suica with a monorail design rather than the penguin design.

If you can't find the monorail and end up at a different train line, the ticket machines may sell you a Pasmo which works essentially the same. Pre-pandemic, the tourist information center which is in the middle area but to your right after you exit baggage claim also sold Pasmo cards.

There is a JR office hidden away in the back that should be able to sell Suica cards but it often has a line so in my opinion, it's easiest to just buy a card from a machine.

Beware: If you go to the Keikyu line office, they also sell Pasmo Passports. It's a rip off unless you want the card with the Sanrio design because instead of being able to refund the card or use it on future trips, you immediately lose 500 JPY of value when you purchase the card and then lose any remaining balance after 28 days. They used to sell Welcome Suicas which are essentially a similar type of rip off for foreign tourists but I haven't seen those signs displayed prominently at Haneda in a long time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter